What's new

does my tv support hdmi 1.4? (1 Viewer)

brankulo

Agent
Real Name
brankulo
as i understand only hdmi 1.4 support audio return channel. not 1.3. does my 1 year old samsung tv support hdmi 1.4 though? i want to get hd antena, connect to my tv and than take advantage of return channel and run it to receiver. will it work?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
We'd need a model number to know for sure.

Regardless, if you're going to be using your TVs built-in tuner to receive over-the-air HD broadcasts, your TVs digital optical output should output any Dolby Digital 5.1 audio to your receiver. This is one of the few cases where the digital optical output on the TV actually outputs digital multichannel audio.

brankulo

Agent
Real Name
brankulo
also some movies that i try to play from usb through my tv and my tv tells me that audio codec is not supported. will return channel or optical cable pass the audio to receiver and it would be handled there? i think it is dts audio that my tv cant play.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Can't help you at all with the USB issue - I'm not at all familiar with how that would work. That seems like something that is better achieved via an A/V receiver with a USB port, as receivers are generally better equipped to deal with all sorts of audio formats and decoding options than TVs anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks