-

Photo
- - - - -

does my tv support hdmi 1.4?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   brankulo

brankulo

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted December 03 2010 - 01:59 AM

as i understand only hdmi 1.4 support audio return channel. not 1.3. does my 1 year old samsung tv support hdmi 1.4 though? i want to get hd antena, connect to my tv and than take advantage of return channel and run it to receiver. will it work?

#2 of 4 ONLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,922 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted December 03 2010 - 02:56 AM

We'd need a model number to know for sure.

Regardless, if you're going to be using your TVs built-in tuner to receive over-the-air HD broadcasts, your TVs digital optical output should output any Dolby Digital 5.1 audio to your receiver.  This is one of the few cases where the digital optical output on the TV actually outputs digital multichannel audio.

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   brankulo

brankulo

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted December 03 2010 - 03:08 AM

also some movies that i try to play from usb through my tv and my tv tells me that audio codec is not supported. will return channel or optical cable pass the audio to receiver and it would be handled there? i think it is dts audio that my tv cant play.

#4 of 4 ONLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,922 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted December 03 2010 - 03:23 AM

Can't help you at all with the USB issue - I'm not at all familiar with how that would work.  That seems like something that is better achieved via an A/V receiver with a USB port, as receivers are generally better equipped to deal with all sorts of audio formats and decoding options than TVs anyway.

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!