What's new

Receivers and wireless video streaming from MacBook (1 Viewer)

LittlemanRob

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob
Hi there,

So I am in the process of buying a new receiver and I am looking for a one that allows me to wirelessly stream audio and video from my Macbook.

The Sony Store suggested the STR-DA5600ES.

It is a great receiver but is a little more money than I'd really like to spend. Plus, I'm not convinced it will actually do what I am buying it for, that is access my MacBook for streaming audio/video.

I had my heart set on the Onkyo TX-SR608. It seems to have what I need for features, except the streaming part.

A friend suggested I could easily overcome this by buying a Sony PS3, and using that to receive the streaming video/audio from my Mac.

Will it do that? If so I can save myself well over $1000.00

Thanks

conuronton

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
I am not sure about Mac compatability but..... I have used a USB piece from Audio Engine that is cheap and works great for wireless streaming (via analog L/R)

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I know of no receiver that has built in digital streaming capabilities. There are just too many options to plan for that. As stated above, get a separate device to process the streaming and connect it to the receiver. Popcorn Hour is one of many companies offering a streaming media player.

jedorme

Auditioning
Real Name
Jed Orme
If you are wanting to stream from a MacBook I would suggest getting the new Apple TV for $99 - then you could use it with the Onkyo TX-SR608. I use the ATV with a Marantz AVR that has no wireless connection & it works extremely well. The ATV has both HDMI & Optical Audio Out that you just connect to one of the HDMI inputs on the Onkyo (it has 5 or 6 I believe). I use Netflix with it or you can also use iTunes. For audio, turn on Home Sharing in iTunes and you can access your complete iTunes libraries - the only caveat being you have to leave iTunes open while doing so, but I find that no problem. You could also consider Roku, Hulu or one of the other streaming systems that work with a Mac computer. Any of these would be cheaper & probably better than wifi in your AVR I would think. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks