Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Receivers and wireless video streaming from MacBook

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   LittlemanRob

LittlemanRob

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted December 02 2010 - 03:28 PM

Hi there, So I am in the process of buying a new receiver and I am looking for a one that allows me to wirelessly stream audio and video from my Macbook. The Sony Store suggested the STR-DA5600ES. It is a great receiver but is a little more money than I'd really like to spend. Plus, I'm not convinced it will actually do what I am buying it for, that is access my MacBook for streaming audio/video. I had my heart set on the Onkyo TX-SR608. It seems to have what I need for features, except the streaming part. A friend suggested I could easily overcome this by buying a Sony PS3, and using that to receive the streaming video/audio from my Mac. Will it do that? If so I can save myself well over $1000.00 Thanks

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   conuronton

conuronton

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted December 06 2010 - 02:59 AM

I am not sure about Mac compatability but.....  I have used a USB piece from Audio Engine that is cheap and works great for wireless streaming (via analog L/R)

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,210 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted December 06 2010 - 03:09 AM

I know of no receiver that has built in digital streaming capabilities.  There are just too many options to plan for that.  As stated above, get a separate device to process the streaming and connect it to the receiver.  Popcorn Hour is one of many companies offering a streaming media player.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   jedorme

jedorme

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted December 06 2010 - 08:37 AM

If you are wanting to stream from a MacBook I would suggest getting the new Apple TV for $99 - then you could use it with the Onkyo TX-SR608.  I use the ATV with a Marantz AVR that has no wireless connection & it works extremely well.  The ATV has both HDMI & Optical Audio Out that you just connect to one of the HDMI inputs on the Onkyo (it has 5 or 6 I believe).  I use Netflix with it or you can also use iTunes.  For audio, turn on Home Sharing in iTunes and you can access your complete iTunes libraries - the only caveat being you have to leave iTunes open while doing so, but I find that no problem.  You could also consider Roku, Hulu or one of the other streaming systems that work with a Mac computer.  Any of these would be cheaper & probably better than wifi in your AVR I would think.  Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users