Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Security stickers ruin DVD cases

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,805 posts

Posted December 16 2001 - 12:44 AM

If this topic has already been discussed, excuse the rant. Is anyone else annoyed by how the security stickers, when applied at the factory in a haphazard fashion cause the clear plastic on the cases to bend and wrinkle and leave them that way after the stickers have been removed? I'd like to help the studios design a better solution for the security issue. In the mean time, any suggestions for a B&M source or mail order or other none web based source to replace the type that Paramount is using for their DVD's, single and double cases? I'd like to replace the TOS Star Trek DVD cases. Thanks! Nelson

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted December 16 2001 - 01:39 AM

The use of a sticker or stickers to warn me that a security device is installed is just plain dumb. If someone was going to shoplift the item then let them find out as they get pinched at the door that a device was installed. Furthemore, since every DVD I have purchased is shrinkwrapped one certainly does not need the stickers to keep the case closed.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson

Screenwriter

• 2,064 posts

Posted December 16 2001 - 02:50 AM

Those stickers while annoying are helping to keep the price of DVDs reasonable. Much like those signs and monitors that point out security cameras at retailers that sticker does more to deter theft than security alarms. While some theives will risk going thru the trouble of bypassing security most will just leave that DVD on the shelf and search for an easier target.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Tom-G

Tom-G

Screenwriter

• 1,646 posts

Posted December 16 2001 - 07:46 AM

I had my first bad experience with these damn stickers. On Tuesday, I purchased The Score. When I arrived home, I removed the shrink rap and then started working on the stickers. I got the first two off, but when I removed the sticker from the top of the DVD (the one with the title of the movie printed on it) it took with it some of the artwork. The very top of it was stuck out of the plastic cover just a little bit. I was very upset by this, so I took back and exchanged it for another one. I never hated them before, but I hate those damn stickers now.

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Rollie

Rollie

Stunt Coordinator

• 218 posts

Posted December 16 2001 - 09:07 AM

When I bought Mission Impossible 2, the security tab inside the case, was half on the case and half on the DVD! Furthermore, with my purchase of Yojimbo, the security tab was STUCK COMPLETELY ONTO THE DISC, ITSELF! Now it may be the lesser of two evils, but I'll take annyoing case stickers over stickers on my disc.
"Some people play hard to get, I play hard to want."

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,805 posts

Posted December 16 2001 - 09:52 AM

Well, since I buy my DVD's from a B&M store, I look for the sticker to see if it is stuck onto the artwork that sometimes is sticking out of the clear area to be sure it won't be damaged when removing the sticker. The trick I use to remove the stickers is to use a sharp utility knife, like an exacto knife and simply cut along the part line where the cover slits open. This way, I can use the cut edge to lift the stickers off from. It comes off increbibly fast and it also cuts the shrink wrap open. Are there no ideas what the Paramount cases are, Amaray or whoever so I can look to match the color and design cases of my Paramount discs? Thanks, Nelson

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Tom-G

Tom-G

Screenwriter

• 1,646 posts

Posted December 16 2001 - 07:03 PM

Nelson, I buy most of my DVDs from B&M stores and I've learned my lesson to inspect all DVDs before purchasing them. Believe me. I feel somewhat guilty for exchanging a DVD strictly because the art work was damaged. Should I feel this way?

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Scott-C

Scott-C

Supporting Actor

• 865 posts

Posted December 16 2001 - 08:42 PM

[quote]

I feel somewhat guilty for exchanging a DVD strictly because the art work was damaged. Should I feel this way?

[quote]

Tom, don't feel guilty! You're buying the whole package - not just the DVD. I feel exactly the same way as you. I'm quite particular (ok, anal retentive is a better term) about the quality of my DVD package, and by package, I mean the DVD, the case, the artwork, etc. I've also exchanged DVDs because something was wrong with the case or artwork. To me, there's nothing worse than getting a brand new DVD, and wanting to admire the artwork, and finding it to be substandard or defective in some way. That is an error on the part of whoever produced the DVD that you shouldn't have to live with unless you choose to do so.

I'll admit it's harder for me to do this when I order a DVD online because it's more of a hassle. I guess that's the sacrifice for getting a better price (usually).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users