Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Lionsgate Press Release: Memento 10th Anniversary (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,073 posts

Posted December 01 2010 - 09:31 AM

Memento

Ten years after its powerful theatrical debut, the new classic thriller Memento celebrates its anniversary with the arrival of a new 10th Anniversary Blu-ray Disc release. Written and directed by Christopher Nolan (Inception, The Dark Knight), this mind-bending film debuts with an all-new director-approved high definition transfer.  Suspenseful and unique, Memento stars Guy Pearce (The Hurt Locker) as Leonard, a man who suffers from a rare brain disorder on a mission for revenge.  The 10th Anniversary Blu-ray Disc comes packed with special features including a brand new featurette with the director discussing the legacy of the film, plus the director's script, audio commentary with Christopher Nolan, the original short story, "Anatomy of a Scene" and more! The DVD is also available for an SRP of $14.98. 

Leonard's life has been stolen from him.  Unable to form new memories, but determined to track down the man who is the cause of his disorder and his wife's murderer, he must piece together what he remembers from the past in order to determine what is real in the present. 

Pricing: Blu-ray Disc - $19.99

Release Date: February 22, 2011

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson

Second Unit

• 458 posts

Posted December 01 2010 - 10:01 AM

Unless the new "packed features" are must haves, I do not see why this is necessary given that Sony already released it four years ago. Is Lionsgate in the business of releasing other studio's products now?

#3 of 15 ONLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,105 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted December 01 2010 - 10:49 AM

No. Lionsgate acquired the rights to Newmarket Films' catalogue this year, with the exception of co-productions with other studios. What that means is that any films distributed by Newmarket that were previously distributed by other studios on DVD and BD will now be issued by Lionsgate, meaning films like Whale Rider and The Passion of the Christ, and possibly Donnie Darko.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,690 posts

Posted December 01 2010 - 02:15 PM

I wonder if this blu-ray edition will mirror the Limited Edition DVD (the medical chart design, etc), while the earlier blu-ray mirrored the first (barebones) DVD release.

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted January 07 2011 - 05:06 AM

Anyone know if this will be remastered at all or can I just stick to the version I already have?

EDIT: Duh - "all-new director-approved high definition transfer."

"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,192 posts

Posted January 08 2011 - 03:01 AM

Sadly nothing about the chronological cut of the film making the jump....unless its an easter egg.

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,290 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted January 08 2011 - 03:06 AM

Yeah, I was wondering about that.

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted January 31 2011 - 03:15 PM

Still nothing about the remastering and it's less than a month out, hmm...

"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted February 10 2011 - 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Ron Reda 

I can tell you a few things.

The new disc has a Criterion-like "director approved" sticker indicating "newly restored" picture and sound. Where the first Blu-ray version was a BD-25, this is a BD-50. Features appear to be as described in the original press release. I see nothing to indicate an option for chronological play.

I have a review disc backlog, but I'll get this one up before street date.

COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted February 10 2011 - 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Reuben 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reda 

I can tell you a few things.

The new disc has a Criterion-like "director approved" sticker indicating "newly restored" picture and sound. Where the first Blu-ray version was a BD-25, this is a BD-50. Features appear to be as described in the original press release. I see nothing to indicate an option for chronological play.

I have a review disc backlog, but I'll get this one up before street date.

Thanks, Michael!

Some news from another forum:

Interesting story about pre-Blu-ray release screenings of "Memento" playing in theaters in several cities across the country on February 17.

http://insidemovies.....ermo-del-toro/

The thing that caught my eye is that the film will be a "digitally refined version" whatever that means (clues about the Blu-ray transfer, perhaps?) and that theaters will be screening a special interview between Nolan and Guillermo Del Toro as well.

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted February 10 2011 - 04:31 PM

Here's an interesting excerpt from the Nolan interview with Del Toro. It may help explain why the chronological option hasn't been retained:

The original DVD release [MR: actually the second DVD release ] of the film had a feature where the viewer could reconstruct the story chronologically.  According to Nolan, he only got into the restructured version for the first few minutes, “I just looked at the opening sequence which had become the closing sequence, and what’s backwards, they ran forwards, and what I got a real kick out of was that David Julyan’s music for the first time in his career became happy when you ran it backwards,” he laughed “and I found that kind of thrilling, so I put that on there but as a hidden extra because when we were making the film, I really didn’t let anybody reorder the script, I said you have to make this film thinking about your audience the whole time, think about, ‘Okay, how is it going to appear on screen, how does that information come to the audience?’”

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted February 11 2011 - 12:52 AM

Is there any chance it's a hidden extra on this one as well?

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted February 11 2011 - 03:53 PM

Hope this isn't against the rules - DVD Beaver's review (positive):

http://www.dvdbeaver...nto_blu-ray.htm

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted February 11 2011 - 04:43 PM

Not a problem at all. I have several other reviews to finish before Memento. And it's always a good idea to get perspectives from several reviewers, if possible, because different people see different things.

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted February 14 2011 - 03:06 AM

Based on information from 2 other forums, when reviewing the screen caps, there seems to be a loss of detail in the black and white scenes.  Reviews don't reflect it but it's hard to deny.  That being said, I know that the full story can't always be told just from the screen caps.

Forum Nav Content I Follow