What's new

Learning to play guitar (1 Viewer)

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
My 21 year old daughter wants to learn to play the guitar. Does anyone have any recommendations for a DVD or book that is easy to use, and good for a beginner? This is something we want to give her for Christmas. She already knows how to read music because she was in the band in high school. Thanks.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I didn't quite get the hang of the guitar when I was trying to learn, so I might not have the best advice, but I found this book to be utterly indispensable:

http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Handbook-Ralph-Denyer/dp/0679742751/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1291238188&sr=1-6

The Guitar Handbook by Ralph Denyer. My copy had a black cover, but I assume this is an updated version. What makes it so valuable is that there are pictures of the fretboard with every note marked. It teaches you how to tune the guitar, and every single chord is shown via fretboard photos. She'll see all the basic chord shapes and how to play them further up the neck as barre chords. You also get scales and exercises. She's already way ahead of me, so she'll probably pick up the guitar pretty easily, coming from other instruments.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
My mom attempted guitar but gave it up and gave the thing to me as I am somewhat musically inclined but can't really play anything well.

The issue I have is it seems you have to press down on the strings harder than I would have expected in order to hit the chord. A loose grip and it doesn't sound right. Am I correct? I have figured out how to tune it.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by Paul D G The issue I have is it seems you have to press down on the strings harder than I would have expected in order to hit the chord. A loose grip and it doesn't sound right. Am I correct? I have figured out how to tune it.

Yes. You have to fret each note firmly, directly behind the fret. Otherwise, it'll buzz and sound horrible. That's why you have to build up calluses if you play regularly. There are exceptions, such as harmonics, where you lightly touch the string in certain spots.

Sorry, Jim. Not a response you want, but at least it'll keep the thread bumped.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I started to learn to play guitar around the age of 8. On a beater of an acoustic that had super high action. I remember practicing until my fingertips bled.

So yeah you do have to press hard. But if you have a decent guitar with nice action, it shouldn't make your fingers bleed. Although it will hurt and if you practice a lot in the beginning you will feel the burn. It will go away after a while once your calluses are built up.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by MarkMel

Jim, a few ideas. If you have a Guitar Center around, they might be able to steer you to a good DVD. Be careful with them, though. My dad took me to get a guitar when I was a kid, and we walked out with an expensive Strat with features I didn't need and that actually impeded my ability to play the instrument. They definitely took advantage of our ignorance. Also, check out some of the guitar magazines. I think they have DVDs on them now. I stopped reading when they became focused on grunge instead of metal and rock, so I haven't read one in 20 years. Also, don't give up hope that someone here will actually get around to your request! There have to be HTFers who know how to play and know some good learning resources.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H

Jim, a few ideas. If you have a Guitar Center around, they might be able to steer you to a good DVD. Be careful with them, though. My dad took me to get a guitar when I was a kid, and we walked out with an expensive Strat with features I didn't need and that actually impeded my ability to play the instrument. They definitely took advantage of our ignorance. Also, check out some of the guitar magazines. I think they have DVDs on them now. I stopped reading when they became focused on grunge instead of metal and rock, so I haven't read one in 20 years. Also, don't give up hope that someone here will actually get around to your request! There have to be HTFers who know how to play and know some good learning resources.

lol, summer of '74

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
GuitarPro.

It works by tablature and you can slow down the speeds at which the songs play. I wish I had this 20 years ago. I paly in 2 bands and the speed at which Ive learned songs with it - Ive found it to be a great tool.

Yes she should learn the proper way, learning scales and chords, notes on the neck, etc, but Guitar Pro is a great tool to learn songs. She can go to GuitarUniverse, pick songs she likes, download them and launch them in GP and play along.

To tell you the truth, I dont even bother learning by ear anymore, when I can get a song down in no time at all using Guitar Pro.

Highly recommended.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Hmm...I actually manage a guitar store, so here are a couple of recommendations based on customer feedback:

Hal Leonard's Play Guitar Today book/CD/DVD combo

http://www.halleonard.com/product/viewproduct.do?itemid=699544&seriesfeature=PLYTDY&menuid=3019&subsiteid=67&

This set runs about $20 and seems to be pretty logical and thorough. The corresponding CD and DVD relate directly to the lessons presented in the book, so it's easy to follow.

Mel Bay's Guitar Chords book

http://www.melbay.com/product.asp?ProductID=93261&Heading=&category=&catID=&head1=&head2=&sub=&sub1=&author=&mode=related&q=&r=&s=&next=

This book has been in print since the 60s, and just about every single guitar player I know has owned it. Sure, there are some more complete (and esoteric) guitar chord books out there, but this one is the standard. Plus, it's only five bucks...

A lot of the local high schools that have guitar classes use the Mel Bay Modern Guitar Method series. If you get this, get the newer expanded edition.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks