What's new

I finally went HD (1 Viewer)

MikeSh

Stunt Coordinator
I finally bought an HDTV last night, I bought a Sony kdl55ex710 at Best Buy. I was going to get a Samsung 55" but they were out of stock. So they made me a better offer on the Sony. I like Best Buy since they'll haul away my still good SD 50" front projection. I've been waiting at least 3 years for this old set to die, it just refuses too.

I had bought a Sony BD player early in the year so hopefully they will pair up nicely.

The TV will be delivered Friday and DirecTV will be here Monday to install a new HD DVR.

Anyone here have this TV? I did a search but didn't get any hits.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Congratulations on the purchase! You will be astonished at the improved picture clarity... you'll find yourself glued to ANYTHING that's HD.

I don't have any experience with that TV, but a general suggestion is to calibrate the picture using a calibration disc like Digital Video Essentials, Avia, or if in a pinch, find an old DVD with the THX Optimizer included (most of the Pixar movies have this) and follow the guidelines to properly set contrast, brightness, color, and tint. Experiment with the various settings and options - most of us prefer to disable virtually all of the artificial image "enhancements" that tend to actually degrade the image fidelity.

Enjoy the new setup, and when it comes time to throw some surround sound into the mix, be sure to check back in here for some great suggestions.

MikeSh

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Jason. I bought a Yamaha 7.1 system a few months ago so I'm good there too. Receiver covered, BD player covered, HD DVR coming/covered. I think I'm good to go.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Head over to DBS Forums for tips and tricks on the new HD DVR. You can do things like turn the 30 second slip into a 30 second skip, turn off that annoying light on the front panel and turn on dual buffers.

MikeSh

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Robert J, I have a DTV SD DVR and don't really care for the 30 second slip. Much prefer my Tivo box 30 sec skip.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks