Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Your personal biggest Oscar upset?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 of 54 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,868 posts

Posted December 01 2010 - 02:57 AM

This will forever stay in my mind....

The 1979 Oscar Nominees for Best Picture:

Kramer vs. Kramer 

Apocalypse Now

All That Jazz

Norma Rae

Breaking Away

The winner that year was Kramer vs. Kramer

Now, at least in my opinion, you look at the caliber of

those nominated films, particularly Apocalypse Now and

All That Jazz and you wonder what went wrong.

I have always felt Kramer vs. Kramer walked away

with the Oscar because of its popularity.  It was a safe

film.   However, Best Picture?  Hardly.

Another upset that had people griping at the time was

in 2005 when CRASH won Best Picture over what was

perceived as much better films like Capote, Munich and

Brokeback Mountain.

So, I ask this question.   What did you personally find

to be the biggest Oscar upset for Best Picture in any

given year?

I am certain most of us will relate to awards we personally

watched in our lifetime, however feel free to reach back

into Oscar history to relay your own personal upsets.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 54 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,617 posts

Posted December 01 2010 - 03:58 AM

Some people had a lot of problems with Shakespeare in Love winning BP over Saving Private Ryan in 199's Oscars.

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#3 of 54 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,126 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 01 2010 - 04:02 AM

I have a couple.

Ordinary People over Raging Bull

Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#4 of 54 Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

Supporting Actor

• 709 posts

Posted December 01 2010 - 04:03 AM

I'm frequently influenced by the critics (who are, of course, a different voting bloc than the actual academy).

In my lifetime, according to many critics, Goodfellas should have beaten Dances With Wolves.

Before my lifetime, Citizen Kane should have beaten How Green Was My Valley.

#5 of 54 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,126 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 01 2010 - 04:11 AM

How did The Greatest Show on Earth win BP over High Noon, The Quiet Man, Singin in the Rain and the Bad and the Beautiful.  The latter two weren't even nominated for BP, go figure.  Another year is 1956 with some great films not even nominated like The Searchers and The Seven Samurai.

Crawdaddy

#6 of 54 Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,160 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted December 01 2010 - 04:20 AM

I remember as a teen Annie friggin' Hall winning over Star Wars hitting me hard. But than what chance did George Lucas' space opera have when Kubrick's 2001 A Space Odyssey didn't even get a nomination for Best Picture in the year Oliver! won? Posted Image

Oh and Terms of Endearment over The Right Stuff, WTF?

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#7 of 54 Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,645 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted December 01 2010 - 04:33 AM

The over sentimental cliche fest, celebrate stupidity of "Forrest Gump" over "Pulp Fiction", "Quiz Show" and "Shawshank Redemption" (in that order of preference :P)

I really didn't like Forrest Gump.

My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#8 of 54 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,617 posts

Posted December 01 2010 - 04:36 AM

"Out of Africa" over "The Color Purple".

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#9 of 54 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,126 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 01 2010 - 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Steve Christou 

I remember as a teen Annie friggin' Hall winning over Star Wars hitting me hard. But than what chance did George Lucas' space opera have when Kubrick's 2001 A Space Odyssey didn't even get a nomination for Best Picture in the year Oliver! won? Posted Image

To be honest, I thought Close Encounters of the Third Kind should have won BP over both, Annie Hall and Star Wars and it wasn't even nominated.

Crawdaddy

#10 of 54 Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,160 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted December 01 2010 - 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Crawford 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Christou 

To be honest, I thought Close Encounters of the Third Kind should have won BP over both, Annie Hall and Star Wars and it wasn't even nominated.

Close Encounters along with Star Wars (1977) is in my top 10 favourite movies so I wouldn't have minded that winning if it was nominated. Close Encounters lost to Star Wars in visual effects, I wish both films had won. It's not impossible, for two films won the visual effects Oscar a year before,  Logan's Run and King Kong, whoa and what a difference in quality in just one year! ;)

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#11 of 54 Chris_T

Chris_T

Stunt Coordinator

• 208 posts

Posted December 01 2010 - 06:41 AM

As previously mentioned, the 2 that stick out for me are Annie Hall over Star Wars and Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan.  Unfortunately, I think some BP choices were more a result of their "Oscar Campaigns" than people deciding without any external influences.

#12 of 54 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,996 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted December 01 2010 - 07:19 AM

The greatest upset in my lifetime is something that didn't even get nominated.   For anything.   But when "Hoop Dreams" was shutout of the awards, it was the time when I said: this whole thing is a fraud.

That year had several great movies for Best Picture, and while I don't think Forest Gump was the best, I can't say it was terrible either.

For nominated films, it'd probably be Kramer Vs. Kramer.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#13 of 54 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted December 01 2010 - 07:25 AM

I can't say I've ever been troubled by a film winning, because voting often produces quirky results. But the following must be said:

Saving Private Ryan, while technically impressive, may be the most overrated film in Spielberg's canon. Shakespeare in Love deserved to win Best Picture. I thought so then, and that view is reaffirmed every time I rewatch it.

COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#14 of 54 Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,645 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted December 01 2010 - 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Reuben 

I can't say I've ever been troubled by a film winning, because voting often produces quirky results. But the following must be said:

Saving Private Ryan, while technically impressive, may be the most overrated film in Spielberg's canon. Shakespeare in Love deserved to win Best Picture. I thought so then, and that view is reaffirmed every time I rewatch it.

I agree with you on "Saving Private Ryan".  I like the movie, but it's incredibly cliched, and frankly story wise it makes no sense.  How does Matt Damon end up with Tom Hanks memories?

As far as that year goes, I would of went with the other WW2 picture "The Thin Red Line."  I liked "Shakespeare in Love", but it didn't affect me like either "Saving Private Ryan" or "The Thin Red Line".  Oscar always (not literally of course, there are always exceptions) seems to side with actor showcase type movies instead of spectacle, so it's not too surprising to see war films get overlooked.  Especially in this last decade or so.

This post kills threads!

#15 of 54 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,126 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 01 2010 - 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Reuben 

That's the problem I have with Shakespeare in Love, it has little rewatch value for me.

Crawdaddy

#16 of 54 Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,645 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted December 01 2010 - 08:01 AM

That's the problem I have with Shakespeare in Love, it has little rewatch value for me.

Same here.  and you can add "The English Patient" to that list of best picture winners that left me flat.  It beat out personal faves of mine like "Fargo" and the not nominated "The People Versus Larry Flyntt" "Hamlet (Branagh)" and "Trainspotting".

This post kills threads!

#17 of 54 PODER

PODER

Stunt Coordinator

• 239 posts

Posted December 01 2010 - 08:10 AM

Well, there are the handful of WHAT WERE THEY THINKING? titles that always turn up:

1952: The Greatest Bore on Earth over High Noon

1956: Around the World in 80 Cameos over Giant, Friendly Persuasion or The King and I

2005: The aptly titled Crash over Brokeback Mountain.

But I think I'd have to go with the hateful Braveheart over Babe.

#18 of 54 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,071 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted December 01 2010 - 08:20 AM

The Sting over The Exorcist.  I eventually learned to not give a damn about Best Picture or any other Oscar, though I will always enjoy watching the awards show for its own entertainment value.

#19 of 54 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,126 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 01 2010 - 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Chas in CT 

The Sting over The Exorcist.  I eventually learned to not give a damn about Best Picture or any other Oscar, though I will always enjoy watching the awards show for its own entertainment value.

It took me a while, but after the 1997 awards I was done with it.

Crawdaddy

#20 of 54 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted December 01 2010 - 08:44 AM

I feel that way about Ryan, although I did buy the Blu-ray last week with the intent to try again. (I already have SiL on Canadian Blu.)

COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow