Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Robinson Corrusso(sp) on Mars DVD?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Scott Strang

Scott Strang

Screenwriter

• 1,133 posts

Posted December 15 2001 - 11:06 PM

Since the only thing close seems to be a Criterion LD of it on Ebay at $150. Yeah right. Anyone heard a DVD release date yet?

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Robert George

Robert George

Screenwriter

• 1,014 posts

Posted December 15 2001 - 11:36 PM

Paramount owns the rights to Robinson Crusoe On Mars. The only video release of this film ever in the US was the Criterion laserdisc and they had a legal tangle with Paramount after that came out. I'd love for Martin Blythe to prove me wrong, but I have a feeling this is one that has been exiled to video purgatory. Damn shame, too. Classic science fiction and I know there is a decent film element around because Criterion's transfer was very good.

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   alan halvorson

alan halvorson

Screenwriter

• 2,021 posts

Posted December 16 2001 - 01:28 AM

Hey Scott - that $150 (current) auction is mine! High demand, very low supply. Many months ago an auction of this title claimed that the film elements were destroyed in a fire. I have never heard of this anywhere else and I very much doubt it is true.
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Mike Friedrich

Mike Friedrich

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts

Posted December 16 2001 - 05:21 AM

~ I loved this film from the first time I saw it as a child. I had a P&S Vhs copy that I relied on for years, and even that was hard to get since it was seldomly broadcasted. Then I went to the first ever Laserdisc Exstravaganza at Paramount Studios where I finally got a hold of the Criterion release. I couldn't wait to get home to see it since I never got to see it in OAR in all those years.

I really hope Paramount will put this timeless classic on Dvd so others can enjoy it the way I finally got to after waiting so many years.

bodymov'n Posted Image

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   SteveGon

SteveGon

Executive Producer

• 12,267 posts

Posted December 16 2001 - 07:14 AM

I'd like to see this again. It's a shame Paramount is showing little interest in it. Anchor Bay would probably kill to get ahold of RCoM. That's a hint, Paramount. What have you got to lose?

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Scott Strang

Scott Strang

Screenwriter

• 1,133 posts

Posted December 16 2001 - 07:42 AM

I've seen stuff appearing on DVD that I never expected to see. First Spaceship on Venus, Black Hole, DefCon4,Roswell, Day the Earth Caught Fire, When Worlds Collide, etc. Perhaps we could see this appear some day on DVD.

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Blu

Blu

Screenwriter

• 1,360 posts

Posted December 16 2001 - 08:01 AM

If Criterion did a LD release of this couldn't they reacquire the rights to a DVD release if they wanted to?

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted December 16 2001 - 08:40 AM

I don't think Paramount is playing ball with independents at all these days so Criterion might not be able to reacquire this title. And that is a shame.
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,601 posts

Posted December 16 2001 - 05:08 PM

"This film is scientifically accurate!" As it says on the laserdisc jacket from the films original artwork. I have this laserdisc from Criterion and I checked the price I paid at the time. It was $99.95. At the time, I thought it was kinda high, but at the same time, I felt it would be a good buy and a great film to have. If it's $150.00 on eBay, it might be a good buy, if it is in pristine condition. On the other hand, maybe Alan and you can negotiate a deal. Nelson

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   alan halvorson

alan halvorson

Screenwriter

• 2,021 posts

Posted December 16 2001 - 07:30 PM

My copy is no longer available for negotiation - it went for $227.50! I have never seen one go higher (mine was sealed, so it was perfect). I have a feeling that whenever this appears on dvd, the extras from the Criterion disc won't be included. So if you own the LD, I recommend hanging on to it (I had two copies).
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted December 16 2001 - 07:54 PM

About two years ago copies of CRUSOE routinely sold for $50 to $75 on e-bay. I bought one for 50-somethin' dollars and considered it a bargain compared to the original list price. I wanted a copy of it for years on end, but even at Ken Cranes' 20% discount it was stille $80. When you see so much tripe and shite go to press on DVD, it's maddening to see an intresting film like this one orphaned! Is it possible there is a personal vendetta on the owners of some of these films, like this one? Does Paramount think any sci-fi that competes with TREK is a bad thing, maybe? Are there lawsuits involved here? There must be a film-aholic on this here forum who could discount, certify, or dismiss these theories? It ain't me babe! Anybody....?
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,174 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted December 16 2001 - 09:08 PM

When the old Camelot chain decided to discontinue laserdiscs, I picked up two copies of ROBINSON CRUSOE ON MARS for $50 each. I sold the extra to a guy who was looking for a copy, but I guess I should have held onto it!
Rich Gallagher

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users