Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The Complete Avengers 50th Anniversary Edition

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#81 of 100 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted August 23 2014 - 11:40 AM

FWIW, here are some screen caps from one of my favorite Avengers episode (The Winged Avenger).

Sources are the last USA DVD release compared with what is currently streaming in HD on Amazon.

The older DVD release has many instances of dirt and other imperfections which have been cleaned up considerably on the newer transfers.

The newer transfers also have better color, more resolution, and additional information on the sides.

If the new USA BD release is using the same transfers that Amazon is streaming, I shall be very satisfied indeed.

The old DVD is on top. The new Amazon HD on the bottom:

attachicon.gifWA1OLD.jpg

attachicon.gifWA1NEW.jpg

attachicon.gifWA2OLD.jpg

attachicon.gifWA2NEW.jpg

attachicon.gifWA3OLD.jpg

attachicon.gifWA3NEW.jpg

attachicon.gifWA4OLD.jpg

attachicon.gifWA4NEW.jpg

attachicon.gifWA5OLD.jpg

attachicon.gifWA5NEW.jpg

Errr eepp!!!

Looks good

#82 of 100 OFFLINE   Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 872 posts

Posted August 24 2014 - 03:19 AM

Millennium released the entire Invisible Man series (840 min or 14 hours) on 1 BD.

Incredibly, it doesn't look that bad (once they finally fixed the aspect ratio).

in regards to the S5 Blu-Ray, I'm wondering about the three discs.   That would be 8 episodes (about 7.5 hours) per disc.
Have we had a release with that much content per disc before?   Could these be double-sided discs?

**I know Batman supposedly has a disc with 14 1/2 hour episodes - just under 6 hours, but this seems to be 1.5 hours more than that**

#83 of 100 OFFLINE   Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 872 posts

Posted August 24 2014 - 03:29 AM

This is also going to be a mega space saver vs. the mega Peel set.

Unfortunately, until the other Mrs. Peel seasons are released, I'll need to keep both--taking up even more shelf space.

• Osato likes this

#84 of 100 OFFLINE   Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor

• 614 posts

Posted August 24 2014 - 06:57 AM

Any word on whether they have tried to make the Honor Blackman episodes look like videotape again?

I know they did the same thing with Doctor Who.

• Osato likes this

#85 of 100 OFFLINE   HDvision

HDvision

Supporting Actor

• 981 posts
  • LocationPandora

Posted August 24 2014 - 11:41 PM

No bu they have done HD masters of those, they aired on arte.
  • Osato likes this

#86 of 100 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted August 25 2014 - 12:29 AM

Errr eepp!!!

Looks good

Looks awfully soft and degrained to me but maybe that is just the streaming version and the blu ray will be much better.

• Osato likes this

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#87 of 100 OFFLINE   HDvision

HDvision

Supporting Actor

• 981 posts
  • LocationPandora

Posted August 25 2014 - 02:14 AM

Nope ;) marginally better. They degrained for consistency.
  • Osato likes this

#88 of 100 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted August 25 2014 - 02:19 AM

They degrained for consistency.

All the grain. ?

Looking at the caps on the previous page it has that blur look that you get when you remove film grain, i wouldn't be happy with that, sure it's better than the dvd but, it seems lacking to me, any caps of the blu ray version online. ?

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#89 of 100 OFFLINE   HDvision

HDvision

Supporting Actor

• 981 posts
  • LocationPandora

Posted August 25 2014 - 04:22 AM

Nope, I just can tell you because I know the person in charge and we talked a lot about it. I guess one will have to wait until the release to see the final results, but a 3 disc set doesn't bid well. It's not because it's 3 disc, it's because they probably went that route due to compressing it all on a 3 disc set not making any difference with the masters pictures wise.

I think they're direct 1080p masters (not 4K obviously), so one can only rejoice that we will finally be seeing those at a correct speed (no pal speed up) and in simili HD. It will surpass the DVDs from A&E, and the Optimum due to better resolution and correct speed. However, I would hold onto the Optimum as they have the original mono mixes whereas, this seems to be 5.1 only (and stereo downmixes as the iTunes version attest).

• Osato and FoxyMulder like this

#90 of 100 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted August 25 2014 - 03:04 PM

Nope, I just can tell you because I know the person in charge and we talked a lot about it. I guess one will have to wait until the release to see the final results, but a 3 disc set doesn't bid well. It's not because it's 3 disc, it's because they probably went that route due to compressing it all on a 3 disc set not making any difference with the masters pictures wise.

I think they're direct 1080p masters (not 4K obviously), so one can only rejoice that we will finally be seeing those at a correct speed (no pal speed up) and in simili HD. It will surpass the DVDs from A&E, and the Optimum due to better resolution and correct speed. However, I would hold onto the Optimum as they have the original mono mixes whereas, this seems to be 5.1 only (and stereo downmixes as the iTunes version attest).

Thanks for the tip!!!

#91 of 100 OFFLINE   nigel19

nigel19

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted August 26 2014 - 12:55 PM

16:9 , 5.1 with no  mono  and 3 discs only . Certainly sounds like a release to miss.

The French and UK releases seem to be a more realistic 7 discs.

I suspect some of the A&E info is wrong anyway but it wouldn't surprise me if they slap the same old tatty 90's remasters onto Blu as they've not bothered to put the recent restorations onto dvd and they've had several years to do it . When they last released discs from the old versions the restorations had been available elsewhere for a considerable time.

At $20 for the US set it does sound as if you'll get what you pay for .

Edited by nigel19, August 26 2014 - 12:56 PM.

#92 of 100 OFFLINE   Darby67

Darby67

Second Unit

• 318 posts

Posted August 26 2014 - 02:13 PM

I am happy to hear about the Blu-Ray releases.  I still hope Lionsgate winds up releasing the Complete Avengers 50th Anniversary Edition on DVD in Region 1.

Darby

#93 of 100 OFFLINE   nigel19

nigel19

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted August 26 2014 - 02:16 PM

I am happy to hear about the Blu-Ray releases.  I still hope Lionsgate winds up releasing the Complete Avengers 50th Anniversary Edition on DVD in Region 1.

Darby

Seems unlikely considering how long its been out elsewhere . but you never know.

The least I would expect are some dvd versions of the restorations of the Rigg and Thorson episodes once the Blurays are out  ( assuming the Bluray versions are the restorations )

Edited by nigel19, August 26 2014 - 02:17 PM.

• Osato likes this

#94 of 100 OFFLINE   Darby67

Darby67

Second Unit

• 318 posts

Posted August 26 2014 - 02:20 PM

The least I would expect are some dvd versions of the restorations of the Rigg and Thorson episodes once the Blurays are out  ( assuming the Bluray versions are the restorations )

I would certainly purchase those DVDs if they became available.

Darby

#95 of 100 OFFLINE   Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor

• 614 posts

Posted August 26 2014 - 02:51 PM

I'm confused. Nigel19 said that the new Blu-Ray will be in 16/9. But I thought it was established that it was a mistake, and that it will be at 4/3.
  • Osato likes this

#96 of 100 OFFLINE   Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor

• 614 posts

Posted August 26 2014 - 02:51 PM

I'm confused. Nigel19 said that the new Blu-Ray will be in 16/9. But I thought it was established that it was a mistake, and that it will be at 4/3.
  • Osato likes this

#97 of 100 OFFLINE   HDvision

HDvision

Supporting Actor

• 981 posts
  • LocationPandora

Posted August 26 2014 - 03:00 PM

All I can tell is the HD masters were done in unmasked 4/3. Will ring my friend tomorrow to check it out but I doubt any release will be 16/9.
  • Osato likes this

#98 of 100 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted August 26 2014 - 05:25 PM

All I can tell is the HD masters were done in unmasked 4/3. Will ring my friend tomorrow to check it out but I doubt any release will be 16/9.

Thank you!!

#99 of 100 OFFLINE   nigel19

nigel19

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted August 27 2014 - 02:06 PM

One would hope so but I think the current listings still show 16:9.

As I said - I suspect some of the A&E info is wrong

Not wanting to dampen the release anymore but the UK dvd collection of the filmed episodes seems to show more than we're supposed to see.

These days much is made of the fact that some 4:3 series , like Space 1999 are being brought to disc with extra picture info on all 4 sides but having recentluy watched all the filmed Avengers I lost count of the boom mics  and specially shadows of boom mics that were visible at the edges of the image - as if it was not really intended for that to be seen.

Edited by nigel19, August 27 2014 - 02:09 PM.

• Osato likes this

#100 of 100 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,477 posts

Posted August 28 2014 - 12:16 PM

That's the problem with all Open Matte transfers whether it be TV or Theatrical Films like Disney animated films, Universal 50's Sci-Fi, Hammer films or any other films presented Open Matte vs. The Original Theatrical Ratio. You always end up seeing things at the top and bottom you were not meant to see and don't get to see the film as intended and in the case of theatrical films you usually lose a small sliver on the sides you were supposed to see. This extra area of 4:3 TV adds a whole new layer to this.

One would hope so but I think the current listings still show 16:9.

As I said - I suspect some of the A&E info is wrong

Not wanting to dampen the release anymore but the UK dvd collection of the filmed episodes seems to show more than we're supposed to see.

These days much is made of the fact that some 4:3 series , like Space 1999 are being brought to disc with extra picture info on all 4 sides but having recentluy watched all the filmed Avengers I lost count of the boom mics  and specially shadows of boom mics that were visible at the edges of the image - as if it was not really intended for that to be seen.

• Osato likes this
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users