Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Question about vintage turntable cartridge (33/45 needle vs. 78).......

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   MielR

MielR

Advanced Member

• 992 posts

Posted November 28 2010 - 01:27 PM

I purchased an old Apollo turntable (one of the ones with a domed lid that looks like a flying saucer- I think it's from the early 70s), and it came with a cartridge pre-installed. It's the kind that has a tab that allows you to "flip" the cartridge over- one side presumably is for 33s and 45s and the other side is for 78s. The problem is- I don't know which side is intended for which. One side of the tab is blank, the other has an "S" imprinted on it. I know that playing a 33 or 45 with a 78 needle will damage the vinyl, so I'm afraid to use it until I'm sure which is the correct side. I asked the person I bought it from, but he wasn't 100% sure. Anybody know? Thanks in advance!!!! 
SAVE STAR WARS! BOYCOTT THE BLU-RAYS! "Like" us here:

http://www.facebook....ycotttheblurays

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted November 29 2010 - 10:39 AM

Hmm.. I certainly don't know any specifics, but the stories I've heard suggest that the 78RPM side might very well be a significantly larger needle.  My father tells stories of using cactus needles on 78s..

Leo

#3 of 8 ONLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,545 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted November 29 2010 - 11:34 AM

This is bugging me, because I feel like I should remember what an "S" on one side means, so I hope someone knows the answer to that.

In the meantime, look at the two closely because, as Leo says above, the 78-rpm needle will in all likelihood look larger or fatter.  Use a magnifying glass if you have one handy.

Other than that, if you have a junk record lying around, you might try each one on that to see what they both sound like.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   MielR

MielR

Advanced Member

• 992 posts

Posted November 29 2010 - 01:52 PM

Thanks to both of you for your replies! I've heard that the 78 needle is larger in size than one used for LPs - I found a couple of sources online that says the "S" stands for "standard" or "sapphire" both of which usually denote a 78 needle (?) In any case, I'll get out a magnifying glass and try to see which needle appears larger, just to be on the safe side. 

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted November 30 2010 - 10:20 AM

I'd have thought that classically, sapphire needles were for LPs.  On the other hand, I believe the "official" needles (when not using cactus,) were stainless steel, which could also be an "S". Are we helping at all, or just making it even worse? Leo

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   MielR

MielR

Advanced Member

• 992 posts

Posted November 30 2010 - 05:29 PM

Ha! No, I don't think you're making it worse.  I read somewhere that for the "flip"-type cartridges, the 33/45 side would be diamond usually, so then the sapphire side was reserved for 78s. "S" for "steel" would also be 78s-only, I assume, so that would support the idea that the "S" side is for 78s.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted December 01 2010 - 02:15 AM

I remember "Sapphire" for 78 mode on my father's old console with a similar flip-style stylus.  LP/45 styluses were always diamonds.  Sapphire was used for 78 compatibility on electronic record players (78s were originally a purely mechanical medium). If you have a POS old record that you don't care about, try both.
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   bigshot

bigshot

Screenwriter

• 1,460 posts

Posted December 01 2010 - 05:13 AM

I wouldn't Bother figuring it out. The needle is probably thrashed anyway. You can get a new flip over needle at www.garage-a-records.com for a few bucks and they will tell you how to install and use it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users