Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

lots of green dots through hdmi cable

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   rickmar1905

rickmar1905

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted November 27 2010 - 06:59 AM

after reading numerous articles that claim a hdmi lead is just a hdmi lead and the most expensive are no better than the cheap ones, i went for a cheap 20 meter hdmi lead but the screen is constantly covered in green dots when i play the x-box 360 through it.  i haven't tried viewing anything else through it but just assumed everything everything else will be the same,  can anyone tell me if its a dodgy lead or is there really a difference in quality that reflects the prices of hdmi leads. cheers

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted November 27 2010 - 08:02 AM

The cheaper cables are usually thinner gauge wire(because they're shorter). As cables get longer, they get more expensive and thicker gauge wire. You need  a thicker gauge wire or you got hold of a bad cable.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   rickmar1905

rickmar1905

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted November 28 2010 - 05:58 AM

is it safe to say its the cable thats no good then? cheers

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC

Producer

• 3,729 posts

Posted January 13 2011 - 05:12 PM

20 meters is very long for a high-data-rate digital interconnect like HDMI.  "An HDMI cable is an HDMI cable" is true for runs up to 3 m or so, but I'm not entirely sure the spec even requires an HDMI output to drive a cable longer than 15 m.  If you can't use a shorter cable, you'll need a heavier one.