What's new

What's it worth: Klipsch Home Theater Surround Sound System. (1 Viewer)

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Moderator's Note: We had a problem with Nick Stanley's first post in this thread. I have quoted it below as a way of showing the beginning of the conversation and retaining continuity. Thanks. --Mike Frezon

Quote :
Originally posted by Nick Stanley:

I was recently inspired by a friend to purchase a home audio system after seeing his new set up. His system is very basic (Yamaha RX-V367 and Klipsch HD Theater 500). His sounds great to me, as I am no audiophile. I have a decent background in car audio.

After becoming interested in this new home audio system I stumbled upon a deal that I would like some expert opinions on.

What is the deal?

$600 for the following:

(2) Klipsch RF-10

(1) Klipsch RC-10

(2) Klipsch RS-10

(1) Klipsch RW-10

This system was originally listed for $1000, then $800, and now $700 which I then talked the guy down to $600. He is very hesitant to sell it for this, and while he is still considering this price I wanted to make sure with you all that this would be a great deal for me.

Is this a real bargain, assuming that the speakers are in great used condition? He states they were purchased 2 years ago, and used for a little more than 1 year, which is when he upgraded.

My newbie research showed that this system could have retailed anywhere between $1300-$1700. I have seen nothing but excellent reviews for the above mentioned speakers. Please advise!

The speakers would likely be matched to a Yamaha RX-V367. The TV I have is a Samsung 37" 1080p 120hz LCD. The room is about 15'(d)x22'(w). Please let me know if you need any other specs of the application.

Thank you very much!

Nick S.

Do you like the sound of the speakers? For some, Klipsch horn tweeters can fatigue the ears.

That room is almost as large as mine and a single 12" sub didn't give me the performance I wanted. If you are coming from car audio, bass is usually where you guys are the hardest to satisfy.

I heard that the horn style tweeters are brighter sounding than other styles. This doesn't bother me. I actually like the sharp sounding highs.

I just got back from Ultimate. because the seller doesn't have them hooked up I wanted to hear something comparable. The guy at ultimate showed me the RF-42's hooked up to the Yamaha 367 and I was very impressed. I can't imagine how much better it might sound with all of the other speakers set up.

And about the bass being the hardest to satisfy...that's somewhat true. In my car I love LOUD bass. No doubt. But I do live in an apartment so I probably wont even be able to fully utilize my speakers let alone the sub. So I should be good with the one 12 until I can later upgrade...made to two.

Anyways...how would good are these speakers, and what would be an excellent price on my end to walk out with system for?

Thank you!

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
I also agree with Robert, I found the horn tweeters used by Kilpsch were initially impressive when you A B them with others but after a few minutes of listening I found them a bit to bright for my ears. Those who like that kind of bright sound will like Kilpsch and they do sell a lot of speakers.

Since these speakers are used I would make sure that you listen to them before you buy to make sure they all work. You might want to have the seller run the speakers through a room correction software like Auudyssey to make sure all the speakers work and can be auto calibrated.

wnnabepro

Agent
Real Name
Micah
GET THEM. . . .YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!!! I used to have all Klipsch Synergy Speakers(when i had a full time job and extra money) and they were the best speaker I ever owned!!! Just my opinion. . . . . .I will agree with the other guys(or girls), Klipsch horns are bright, but there horns!!

Since originally creating this thread I have purchased the whole set of Klipsch Speakers and Subwoofer. I also purchased the Yamaha RX-V467 from Ultimate on Black Friday for $280, and a Insignia Blu-Ray player that Streams Pandora, NetFlix, etc through WiFi. What an IMPRESSIVE speaker set. I am amazed. I can't believe what I was missing out on this whole time. Especially when watching movies. With this system I could hear a needle drop during a war scene. I watched Wolfman in Blu-Ray. There is a scene where the warewolf is running on the roofs of buildings and there are men on the ground shooting at him. You can hear the bullets flying from Front Left tower to the Rear Left Surround as they whiz by the warewolf as your in his perspective. Is really is amazing.

I also streamed some hip-hop through Pandora on the Blu-Ray player. This RW-10 woofer POUNDS! I just can't figure out how to get the woofer to play when I'm on "Direct" mode, so I am playing true stereo, with the addition of the subwoofer. Can anyone help?

Thank you for your opinions on the speaker set, and your advice. I am very happy I picked these up.

BTW, I will post photos tonight of my set up, although the rear speakers are just temporarily set up until I run cable under the carpet. I can't run through the walls because I live in an Apartment :)

Here are the pics I took.

I would like to point out that the receiver normally would sit in the lower center cubby hole but the rear speakers are just temporarily wired and just resting on the couch for now. The wires I used are too short because I didn't want to cut my high quality speaker wire until I run the rear channel speaker wires under the carpet and mount the speakers to the wall. So for now I have taped the short cables to the carpet so they aren't a trip hazard, haha. Ghetto, but temporary! I was anxious to hear them!

on to the pics!

And the Neighbor Waker :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Great pictures, Nick.

Everything will be tip-top once you get your measurements made and things installed permanently.

Originally Posted by Nick Stanley /forum/thread/306158/what-s-it-worth-klipsch-home-theater-surround-sound-system#post_3758656

Mike,

Thanks for getting me all set up on the forum and I assume you fixed all my double posts. I appreciate that.

I will definitely check out Master and Commander. I haven't seen that one yet. I did do a search for optimum flicks to watch. I saw that The Fifth Element was mentioned a few times. I will have to go back and watch that with the new HT. I also have been researching cables and found MonoPrice.com. I am about to order Banana Plugs for every speaker connection and a new woofer cable so I can return the $40 cable I bought at Best Buy.

Question about the banana plugs...Open or Closed Screw? Which is best? I think the Closed Screw would work better because it would conceal all the wire ends and the wire would come straight out of the rear of the plug. I also plan to Heat Shrink them to prevent electrical shorts.

Another question. Do movies streamed through my Blu-Ray come in with the same resolution and quality of sound as Blu-Rays offer?

Thanks!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Nick Stanley

I will definitely check out Master and Commander. I haven't seen that one yet. I did do a search for optimum flicks to watch. I saw that The Fifth Element was mentioned a few times. I will have to go back and watch that with the new HT. I also have been researching cables and found MonoPrice.com. I am about to order Banana Plugs for every speaker connection and a new woofer cable so I can return the $40 cable I bought at Best Buy.

Just took a quick check and [url=http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Ddvd&field-keywords=master+commander+blu&x=0&y=0]amazon has M&C available (on blu!) for just $6.99. If you want to go that way...jump on it!

And monoprice is a great site. You won't be disappointed. Blue Jeans cables is another oft-recommended cable site here on the HTF.

Deals on HT software is my specialty. Each week I post a thread over in the Bargains & Deals forum on the best prices for each week's new releases from the major retailers. Check it out sometime. HERE'S this week's RoundUp.

Question about the banana plugs...Open or Closed Screw? Which is best? I think the Closed Screw would work better because it would conceal all the wire ends and the wire would come straight out of the rear of the plug. I also plan to Heat Shrink them to prevent electrical shorts.

I can;'t answer that (never used them)...but a quick search of banana plugs here will give you ALL KINDS of input! Look at THESE search results!

Another question. Do movies streamed through my Blu-Ray come in with the same resolution and quality of sound as Blu-Rays offer?

That is also something I haven't done yet. I've seen posts from members with various opinions on that technology.

Again, the search function can be your best friend. Here's one recent thread on that topic. Here's another.

Thanks!

One thing I couldn't find through searching is how to get my subwoofer to play when in "Direct" or "2 Channel Stereo" modes. I would like to listen to the music in it's native form, but want the bass to pick up the low range frequencies. Anyone know how to do this on the Yamaha RX-V467?

BTW, why am I showing up as "Private User". This forum is really starting to get on my nerves. It shouldn't be this confusing. I am a web designer/developer and I can't even figure out how to use this forum correctly.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by (Private User)

BTW, why am I showing up as "Private User". This forum is really starting to get on my nerves. It shouldn't be this confusing. I am a web designer/developer and I can't even figure out how to use this forum correctly.

Nick:

Bear with us. The platform hosts just launched an upgrade and it has had an impact on those HTFers connected with Facebook. It is being worked on.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

Nick:

Bear with us. The platform hosts just launched an upgrade and it has had an impact on those HTFers connected with Facebook. It is being worked on.

[/QUOTE]

All private users are private no more. Your account was essentially converted from a Facebook account to a HTF account. I would recommend that you update you Avatar and your email address under the My Profile tab. There were a lot of issues with the FB interface that created a lot of odd problems on the site with FB accounts. Once you get your email and Avatar updated things should run more smoothly for you.

Thanks guys. I will get my Avatar set up. I believe my email is already input in my profile, but I will double check that.

Anyone with experience on the Yamaha 467? Trying to get the woofer to work in "stereo" or "direct" mode. Thanks!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Nick Stanley

Anyone with experience on the Yamaha 467? Trying to get the woofer to work in "stereo" or "direct" mode. Thanks!

Hey Nick...

I'd suggest a new thread in this forum with a title indicative of your question.

Help with set-up of Yamaha 467

or something like that. Otherwise, people-in-the-know might not know to look in here to see how they can help.

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
To answer one of your questions Nick (didn't notice anyone answer it) - movies streamed via Netflix for instance are not in the same HD audio formats as found on Blu-ray discs. You can get surround and it will sound fairly decent but not like BD HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks