-

Photo

Do you ever buy BDs simply because you see a really great price?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 of 23 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,198 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted November 23 2010 - 05:24 PM

As the Black Friday deals have started coming fast and furious, I've REALLY had  to restrain myself from buying movies at phenomenal prices that I would never buy under normal circumstances. It's tough, says I.Posted Image

#2 of 23 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,738 posts

Posted November 23 2010 - 05:42 PM

I played that game on DVD, but have done a better job of restraining myself on Blu-Ray and tend to be more selective.  Early in the life cycle of High Definition media I purchased a lot of titles during the price wars spurred by HD-DVD vs. BD but once my collection became a little larger I curtailed a lot of my impulse purchases.

- Walter.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#3 of 23 OFFLINE   Paul D G

Paul D G

Screenwriter

• 1,610 posts

Posted November 23 2010 - 07:30 PM

um....yes...?  Just today while preparing a large Amazon order and checking for any other deals I found the  Harry Potter 1-6 Blu's for under $40.  Debated it for about 10 mins then added it to the cart.  I have 1-5 on DVD and have debated numerous times on upgrading them on seeing one at the used shop.

I also picked up The Mist for under $8.

#4 of 23 OFFLINE   sharkus

sharkus

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted November 23 2010 - 08:58 PM

I swore I wasn't going to buy up Blu-Ray's like I did during the first years of my DVD addiction.  Unfortunately, with these weekly $10 off Disney coupons and Amazon deals I'm back to my old ways. Only now I'm much more focused on kid movies, since those will actually get watched more than 0 times (I have countless DVDs that are still in shrink).

#5 of 23 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,639 posts

Posted November 24 2010 - 01:10 AM

Posted Image

No worries. You're not alone....

Cees

#6 of 23 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted November 24 2010 - 01:41 AM

I do not buy stuff I wouldn't like, and I do not blind buy at all anymore, cept Toy Story 3.

Having said that, i just bought a buttload of Blu-rays, that i already own on DVD, just cause the Blu was so cheap. Example, The Batman Anthology.

#7 of 23 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted November 24 2010 - 01:57 AM

Same as above, trying not to repeat my DVD mistakes.

But when Showgirls is only $8 it is hard to resist. So far, resisting.

"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#8 of 23 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,207 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted November 24 2010 - 02:07 AM

I'm getting a lot choosier than I used to be.  At the same time, I seem to be buying more!  Too much, lately, in fact.  But I also know that my interests in film have broadened, in a good way, and that's a credit to HTF.

Anyway, my answer to this is no.  A few of my earliest BD purchases might have been because they were right there in front of me at a ridiculous price.  (Same thing happened with early DVDs, I remember quite well.)  But while I'm pretty fanatical about finding the best possible price on the BDs I know are right for me, I'm quite good now about passing over the stuff that isn't.  I pay no mind to $4.99 BDs when they're of no interest or they've received negative reviews from people I trust.

As a side note to this, I'm still perfectly happy researching reviews and tracking down DVD releases, even when not so easy to find, in cases where the BD just isn't up to snuff.

#9 of 23 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,394 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted November 24 2010 - 02:35 AM

Honestly.  I have been resolute in my desire to upgrade/purchase only those titles that would get repeated plays at my house.

I have failed.  I see these good deals (a hazard of mine) and can't help myself.  I have been less-than-resolute in my ability to restrain myself.

On the one hand, I know I am getting these titles at a fraction of what many people pay...yet I need to make better choices.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#10 of 23 ONLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 16,614 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted November 24 2010 - 04:16 AM

I only buy stuff I'm SURE I'm going to watch now.  I didnt go nearly as nuts as some HTFers did with DVD but even still I have a hundred I'll never get around to,

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#11 of 23 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,859 posts

Posted November 24 2010 - 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Chas in CT 

I'm getting a lot choosier than I used to be.  At the same time, I seem to be buying more!  Too much, lately, in fact.  But I also know that my interests in film have broadened, in a good way, and that's a credit to HTF.

Anyway, my answer to this is no.  A few of my earliest BD purchases might have been because they were right there in front of me at a ridiculous price.  (Same thing happened with early DVDs, I remember quite well.)  But while I'm pretty fanatical about finding the best possible price on the BDs I know are right for me, I'm quite good now about passing over the stuff that isn't.  I pay no mind to $4.99 BDs when they're of no interest or they've received negative reviews from people I trust.

As a side note to this, I'm still perfectly happy researching reviews and tracking down DVD releases, even when not so easy to find, in cases where the BD just isn't up to snuff.

Know what yah mean there though you're probably better at it than me since I do have at least a few clunker BDs so far (and a few double-dips already too).  Still, I didn't own more than a few Criterion DVDs before -- though I did do a little "window-shopping" -- but now, I'm loading up on a fair percentage of their BD releases due in large part to the great B&N sales (and use of coupons) along w/ various other previously overlooked classics and foreign films (thanks in part to a sizeable array of region-free releases in this format that makes importing much more viable than before).

But like another poster, I've also decided to make clearer distinctions between the "good" stuff that I collect for more "adult" entertainment (especially the stuff that might not be as easily or inherently rewatchable, eg. The Road, most horror flicks, most arthouse films, most R-rated movies, etc) and the more kiddie/family-friendly stuff that tend to get tons of rewatches.  And of course, the quality of an existing DVD (vs the BD) can also factor into this too.

At the end of the day, it's really all about our perceived value in owning (or not) these shiny discs (and whatever packaging Posted Image ), and that can certainly vary a lot (and change over time) ...

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#12 of 23 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,826 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted November 24 2010 - 07:07 PM

I used to, but I am now realizing that I don't have time to watch what I already have.  Then again why do I have a bunch of $5.99 BD titles sitting in my cart....

#13 of 23 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,394 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted November 24 2010 - 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich 

I used to, but I am now realizing that I don't have time to watch what I already have.  Then again why do I have a bunch of $5.99 BD titles sitting in my cart....

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt...      Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#14 of 23 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,859 posts

Posted November 24 2010 - 07:17 PM

Posted Image

Mike's mention elsewhere of In the Shadow of the Moon for $5.99 certainly has me thinking just now.  Of course, I'm definitely guilty of owning some quality doc films on BD that I haven't gotten around to watching, including When We Left Earth, which I picked up from the local street vendor for $20 soon after its release (and seems to still be the lowest price I've ever seen for it)... Posted Image

I keep thinking my kids will enjoy these docs (and learn some fascinating stuff), but they don't seem *quite* that interested after seeing parts of Planet Earth a long while ago (and it's not like we have cable/sat w/ Discovery HD, etc. already)... Posted Image

_Man_

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#15 of 23 OFFLINE   DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,544 posts

Posted November 25 2010 - 03:43 PM

I already went back and forth on In the Shadow of the Moon and ended up ordering it, but Noe this discussion and Man's post has me questioning it again. Already own When We Left Earth and haven't watched it either. I probably should just pick up kids movies for the next 10-18 years.

#16 of 23 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,738 posts

Posted November 25 2010 - 04:18 PM

There is plenty of junk to regret purchasing on Blu-Ray, but I (personally) would not put In the Shadow of the Moon in that category.  It is a wonderful film and is a steal at the current Amazon price.

Of course, you still have to find time to view it. Posted Image

- Walter.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#17 of 23 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,859 posts

Posted November 25 2010 - 06:38 PM

David,

If it makes you feel any better, yeah, I ended up ordering In the Shadow of the Moon too.  I just couldn't resist Posted Image -- and I do hope both my kids and I (and maybe other family and friends too) will get around to enjoying it (along w/ some other fascinating doc films).  And like Walter basically pointed out, it's at least a quality film that's more than easily worth that great bargain price.  And if I really never do get around to watching it, it'd probably make a very nice stocking stuffer or something for family or friend at some point... Posted Image

_Man_

#18 of 23 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,743 posts

Posted November 26 2010 - 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Will_B 

But when Showgirls is only $8 it is hard to resist.

I know, right?  Helluva comedy on BD.

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#19 of 23 OFFLINE   DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,544 posts

Posted November 26 2010 - 05:17 PM

Great little support group we've got going here. :) Now how to find the time.

#20 of 23 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,219 posts

Posted November 27 2010 - 05:06 AM

I recently bought a copy of Exorcist II at an FYE because they were selling it for $1.99. And that was not a previously owned copy. Brand new.

STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!