Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

remote control URC 980

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   bigfish1

bigfish1

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted November 19 2010 - 07:01 AM

Hi everyone,              i am building a theatre room and are thinking of using the urc 980 remote control.   I was wondering if anyone has experience       with this unit. It will be controling 4 zone lighting and the dvd ect,.....                           thanks for your time                                          paul.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,193 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted November 21 2010 - 09:00 AM

Why URC?  Harmony is the current leader in universal remotes.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   keithVANhorn

keithVANhorn

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted December 20 2010 - 12:19 PM

The MX-980 is our goto remote for theaters.... it is pricey though and if you don't want to pay someone to program it for you (it is a custom remote for custom installers) you must find a dealer that will share the programming software with you. It is they're call to share it or not because they will now have to take care of tech support if needed. If you are looking at the MX-980 you should also consider the MRF-350  for MRF-260 for RF control of your equipment. I won't comment on Harmony's but I would say they're ok and would work, but can't hold a candle to the mx-980. mho
All highs.... all lows... it must be.....YUK!!!!

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,193 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted December 20 2010 - 02:07 PM

Pricey and you can't program them yourself.  Makes me want to throw all my Harmony remotes in the trash right now.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 15,016 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted December 20 2010 - 02:29 PM

Personally I use and prefer the MX980.  There are some pitfalls (need to get the SW), but I really like it.  Its very customizable and you can do a ton with some of the add-ons.  I prefer it because I have big hands fingers and its easy to always hit the button I'm looking for and not hit the others .  Harmony can be a fine solution too, but I think the MX980 will interface better with the lights if you use their stitches.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   keithVANhorn

keithVANhorn

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted December 20 2010 - 02:33 PM

You can program them yourself.... I never said you couldn't. There's an extra step involved, but it can be done. If I had Harmony remotes at home I would throw them away as well. They are for the DIY'er who doesn't want/need/afford/justify an expensive universal controller. The MX-980 is a very good remote that is fully customizable. If you don't need that, then step down the MX-880 or 900 or 850. If none of those fit what you want (features or price) them by all means go with a Harmony.
All highs.... all lows... it must be.....YUK!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users