What's new

Samsung BDP-1000 playing less and less BDs (1 Viewer)

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
So this Samsung BDP-1000 I foolishly bought for $1000 years ago is playing less and less movies now. The first one I had trouble with was Close Encounters last summer. Star Trek, Kick-Ass, Alien, and several other newer movies won't play. The player spins and eventually says it's unable to play them, even with the updated firmware. The worst is that because my projector is pre-HDMI component 720p, I have to use component and some discs are making the player say "sorry, the movie cannot be played without HDMI" like Avatar. I tried an HDMI to DVI connector but the projector doesn't like the frequency coming in. I haven't researched that problem yet.

I gave my Playstation 3 a shot and it plays everything perfectly, even in component. I didn't want to have to move the PS3 whenever I watch a movie but I guess I have to now. It's possible the PS3's video port doesn't flag itself as component which is why those movies that won't play in component on the Samsung work. I haven't researched that, either. It works, that's all I care about.

My issue is the Samsung itself: do I even bother with it anymore? Should I just eBay the thing? I searched on here and found nothing later than 2007 so I don't know if there's ever going to be a fix for this. It's still slow as molasses so maybe it's time to get rid of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks