Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS (musical) Blu-ray: any hopes for the full color alternate ending?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 of 54 Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Screenwriter

• 2,444 posts

Posted November 17 2010 - 11:35 AM

I had the first pressing of the DVD of Little Shop of Horrors on DVD and

enjoyed the alternate (aka "original Broadway") ending, even though it was only available in black and white.

Back when there was buzz about this, my understanding is that David Geffen owned the

rights to the alternate ending (which is why the first pressing of the DVD went out of print),

but also that to get the full color version of the original ending, that Warner Bros only needed to ask Geffen for it.

Years later this is starting to feel like an urban legend, or even some sort of unresolved issue between WB and DG that

is more than just a legal rights issue.

Still, I *hope* that when a Blu-ray finally comes out, there will be a chance one could select  which version we could watch.

I would LOVE to watch this version:

Since folks here at the HTF are in contact with studio insiders and reps, are there any thoughts or more information on this?

Here is hoping and wishing!

Paramount, please release DRAGONSLAYER on Blu-ray

Dragonslayer_1981HTF_zps4e370848.jpg

Vermithrax Pejorative deserves to be seen in high-def.

#2 of 54 cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,022 posts

Posted November 17 2010 - 11:56 AM

Coincidentally, I bought the original Little Shop of Horrors DVD from eBay a few weeks ago, to watch on Halloween.  The alternate ending as presented on that DVD is not only in black-and-white, it's very rough in general.  It'd be nice to have a cleaned-up, HD version of it on Blu-ray.

#3 of 54 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,449 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted November 17 2010 - 12:03 PM

The original DVD of Little Shop is one of my prized possessions. Mark, you tell the Geffen story as I know it. Geffen was apparently displeased that the b&w work print footage was released when the color footage was in the vaults. Here's hoping that we get to see the finished color footage someday.

#4 of 54 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,994 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted November 17 2010 - 12:25 PM

That dvd was pulled within the first week of release, maybe even that day.

I was in Tower records and had one in my hand, but was never a big fan of the film so I put it down.

My curiosity and need to collect these type of things caused me to grab one off ebay a few years ago for about $45.

the clip usually shows up on yuotube and might even be there now.

facebook.com/whotony

#5 of 54 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,996 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted November 17 2010 - 01:11 PM

Yep, I have always held onto my copy.    Little Shop of Horrors is one of those films I really enjoy; so I'd love to see it come to Blu.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#6 of 54 SWFF

SWFF

Screenwriter

• 1,830 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted November 17 2010 - 01:33 PM

Aside from starting the ALIEN 2: ON EARTH thread, I don't normally visit this category of HTF, hopefully, next year, some time, when I go blu, I can start hanging out at the grown-up table with all you blus-brothers, but the instant I saw this topic on the front page, it instantly made a blip on my radar, and, I just had to weigh in here.

I don't like musicals. Period. But, as you all know there are exceptions to every rule, and my two are A NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, and this flick. I immediately adored it the moment I saw it on cable for the first time, and, amazingly, I love listening to all the songs, too. And, it's got excellent practical effects, Audrey II, is incredible for an animatronic creation. And, it's funny, too. I still have the standard version somewhere on the web, on a wishlist. DVD Empire, possibly. And, I also heard rumors years ago that they were gonna fix this flick up and re-release it. My guess is, if, for instance, it does see the light of day next year, it most likely will be a blu-ray release.

#7 of 54 cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,022 posts

Posted November 17 2010 - 02:37 PM

For those who aren't familiar with the story, here is a very good article about the alternate ending and the recalled dvd.

#8 of 54 BillBR

BillBR

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted November 17 2010 - 05:13 PM

I wholeheartedly agree, I would love to see this sequence cleaned up and released along with the film on Blu. It's some of the best animatronic/puppet/giant monster stuff I've seen, and it's just a rough cut!

It'd be pretty cool and thoughtful of WHV to clean it up to a degree that a seamless branching option could be included so one could watch the original version of the film, but I have to say...there's no way I'll ever prefer the "Don't Feed the Plants" ending to Oz's reshot happy ending. Simply because it's such a huge bummer, man. I don't know if you can still dig up the B&W rip on YouTube, but if you get a chance to see it, see what you think. On stage the downer ending is a great little twist of B-movie black humor, made palatable since the actors are still very much alive right in front of you. However on screen, it feels like the end of The Vanishing or Funny Games...really emotionally draining. Or maybe I'm just a sap, I dunno. Posted Image

"I've been thinking about what we talked about before...it's not enough to survive. One has to be worthy of surviving. That's all."
--Edward James Olmos

#9 of 54 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,449 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted November 17 2010 - 05:53 PM

I love the Don't Feed the Plants ending, recognizing that it probably works better on stage where everyone gets a curtain call. The clip is indeed on YouTube...just search the song title.

#10 of 54 Paul D G

Paul D G

Screenwriter

• 1,592 posts

Posted November 17 2010 - 07:23 PM

I pulled this one out for the first time in years to watch.  I was sorely disappointed in the picture quality - I hadn't yet seen it on my 55".  I bet my VHS looks better.   I really hope a Blu comes out.  I'm not even too concerned about the alt ending being cleaned up.  (i need to read the linked article, but my impression is the workprint is all that existed)

Edit because I had meant to add: Watching this again after so many years, I found myself amazed once again at Audrey II and the puppetry involved.  It's an amazing achievement and, if made today, the plant would no doubt be completely CGI and probably look horrible (i saw the green lantern trailer the other day and found the suit in the scene where he POPS into in looking totally cartoonish and obviously CGI.  i just hope this is a quick pass rendering and more time given to the final print).  I'd recommend LSOH for Audrey II alone.

#11 of 54 cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,022 posts

Posted November 18 2010 - 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Paul D G 

I pulled this one out for the first time in years to watch.  I was sorely disappointed in the picture quality - I hadn't yet seen it on my 55".  I bet my VHS looks better.

I accept your wager.

#12 of 54 Derek Miner

Derek Miner

Screenwriter

• 1,668 posts

Posted November 18 2010 - 06:22 AM

In last year's WB chat, I implored them to go back and pull more deleted scenes for GOONIES and hopefully fix up the ending of LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS for the Blu-ray releases. Obviously nothing new came out on the GOONIES disc. I hope we get something - anything - when LITTLE SHOP makes it to HD.

There's also a song deleted almost entirely from the finished film - "The Meek Shall Inherit' - which I would absolutely love to see in any form whatsoever - even if they only pulled up some B&W workprint footage.

= Derek Miner =
Co-founder, Sunscreen Film Festival

#13 of 54 Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,093 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted November 18 2010 - 07:36 AM

I still have my DVD copy that contains the ALT Ending. I was able to score a copy from a online DVD seller that I am sure is long gone. The gentleman was really nice who sold the copy to me and I only paid $19.99!

if I recall correctly I think the recall was issued the same day as the release, I looked all over for a copy happened upon a DVD seller site that claimed they had it. and the guy who ran the small company told me he knew it was recalled and even had the information WB's sent out about the recall, but he said he was gonna sell his copies instead of shipping them back.

I still owe this guy so much for selling me that copy. I believe he had 4 copies at that moment.

I treasure my DVD of Little Shop. I wish a decent Blu-Ray release come happen but something tells me it would be bare bones or maybe the trailer.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 LG BD550 Region Free 
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#14 of 54 David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 1,968 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted November 18 2010 - 12:05 PM

I didn't realize or had forgotten this was a collector's item, but I still have my original copy that I had preordered from Digital Eyes back when it was an independent company.  Since

I often got movies from them a few days ahead of release date, it obviously had already been shipped before the recall happened.  One of my all time favorites to be sure.

#15 of 54 GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,423 posts

Posted November 18 2010 - 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by David Norman 

I didn't realize or had forgotten this was a collector's item, but I still have my original copy that I had preordered from Digital Eyes back when it was an independent company.  Since

I often got movies from them a few days ahead of release date, it obviously had already been shipped before the recall happened.  One of my all time favorites to be sure.

The original DVD was in stores a while before the recall not just a day or a week. Picked mine up maybe a month after it was released when I learned it was going to be pulled. A friend of mine has the deleted end (in color - He works for Disney) Geffen should release the alt. ending (it cost so much to produce) don't know what's holing it up - a theatrical release seems unlikely

#16 of 54 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,855 posts

Posted November 18 2010 - 12:38 PM

Little Shop would look tremendous on Blu-ray.

I have no doubt Warner will get to it sooner than later.

They know their library.

That being said, really hard to say if that extra

sequence (which I also own on DVD) will ever make

it back into the film.  All I remember hearing internally

at the time was how pissed off Geffen was about its

inclusion.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#17 of 54 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,994 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted October 31 2011 - 09:23 AM

Grain of salt....this was posted by someone over on dvdtalk yesterday. Going back to Little Shop of Horrors: yesterday at the Museum of the Moving Image, Frank Oz did a panel there as part of the muppet exhibit they're running through the end of the year. He mentioned that he just got word from Warner Bros that Little Shop of Horrors is planned for next year in time for Halloween - 2-disc DVD/blu-ray which will include the original ending.

facebook.com/whotony

#18 of 54 Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,688 posts

Posted November 01 2011 - 05:27 AM

Let's hope this is true! That would be great!
---------------------------------------------
Support Film Preservation before it's too late!
---------------------------------------------

#19 of 54 Derek M Germano

Derek M Germano

Second Unit

• 400 posts

Posted November 01 2011 - 05:51 AM

If it is true, in addition to the original ending, I hope the songs and the music get reworked to take full advantage of DTS-HD Master Audio.
Derek M. Germano
THE CINEMA LASER
2,000-plus Blu-ray & DVD reviews now playing...
http://www.thecinemalaser.com

#20 of 54 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,632 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted November 01 2011 - 05:53 AM

Noooooo, my DVD will be worrrrrthlesss! Seriously, good news! I LOVE the ending! Wonder if they will try to complete it? That would be amazing!

"Sam, you are the biggest nutter we have here."

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users