What's new

Zemeckis to remake Wizard of Oz based on 1939 script (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I don't think this will work, any more than the Psycho remake did:

http://www.deadline.com/2010/11/warner-bros-wants-robert-zemeckis-for-wizard-of-oz-remake-based-on-original-script/

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
They couldn't get Gus Van Sant?

And how many un-greenlit Oz films have they announced in the past few years? I lost count.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
It's been dead since at least 1939 since that version of OZ was a remake as well.

Originally Posted by Brett*H

Is originality dead in Hollywood? Sad...very sad...

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Michael Elliott

Is originality dead in Hollywood? Sad...very sad...

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, didn't the last big OZ set include two earlier versions? Hollywood has been repeating itself since it began.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
It's doubtful any film will capture the heart of the 1939 version but we really need to get real. There were versions throughout the 1910s and even the version Travis mentioned. There were remakes after the Garland version.

I know a certain Garland board where people are going crazy but this remake made her a star and another remake (A STAR IS BORN) gave her her comeback so her fans should be thankful that Hollywood lacked any original ideas for the past 100 years. It's a money machine pure and simple and these "same old, same old" titles are still making cash.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Not sure why everyone is so against doing a Oz remake. Id like to see something a bit more faithful.

Not sure what version it is, but AICN had some Oz production art up not too long ago. I thought they mentioned that art was for a animated version.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by JonZ

Not sure why everyone is so against doing a Oz remake. Id like to see something a bit more faithful.

It's not the idea of doing a movie about Oz that's the problem; It's the idea of doing a rehash of the 1939 version.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertR

It's not the idea of doing a movie about Oz that's the problem; It's the idea of doing a rehash of the 1939 version.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm not a guy who screams about remakes but I just don't understand why they'd use the same script rather than taking a new crack at the book.

Frankly, I find the idea that a remake wants to use the 1939 script hard to believe. They'll already have two strikes against them because they're remaking Wizard Of Oz in the first place (despite the multiple times that it's already been remade) but to make critical comparisons even tougher, they're going to use the same script as one of the most beloved movies ever made? What sense is there in that and what director or studio wants to put themselves and $150 or $200 million in that position?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
If they re-adapted the books to stay truer to them, I'd be all for it. Even if this remake was using an original script (I'm presuming the original script of the 1939 film got rewrote like crazy considering all the director change overs), it would be a curiosity I would check out. If they plan to do a "Psycho" like remake though with updated songs and that... well... just a terrible idea really.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Betcha any new version's production company wont get the young star hooked on diet pills...........maybe.

Here's a frightening idea....what if Tim Burton directed it? Imagine Dorothy with a sickly pale complexion (and the patented Tim Burton "dark circles" under her eyes) with Johnny Depp playing all the other parts aside from Deep Roy who would, of course, be playing the all the munchkins........let's picture that for awhile.......hmmm...........nah, I'd rather not imagine that to be honest. I know some think the man can do no wrong but I have grown tired of his repetitive "vision". YMMV.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by TravisR

Hopefully that's true, otherwise it will be another of those creepy, CGI motion capture films that seem to be the only thing Zemeckis makes anymore.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Kevin M

Betcha any new version's production company wont get the young star hooked on diet pills...........maybe.

Here's a frightening idea....what if Tim Burton directed it? Imagine Dorothy with a sickly pale complexion (and the patented Tim Burton "dark circles" under her eyes) with Johnny Depp playing all the other parts aside from Deep Roy who would, of course, be playing the all the munchkins........let's picture that for awhile.......hmmm...........nah, I'd rather not imagine that to be honest. I know some think the man can do no wrong but I have grown tired of his repetitive "vision". YMMV.

OMG....Just before I read your post, I was thinking exactly the same thing LOL. I hope Burton gets nowhere near this.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Kenya Barris is certainly talented and has done well with his original creations, some of which I like, but I'm not sure why this story needs to be told again.

To be totally fair, I also said a similar thing in the new West Side Story when it was first announced, and I came around on that and I think it is actually superior to the great original. So, you never know until they actually have a movie out.

Certainly, the existence of a remake would not have any impact whatsoever on the indelible legacy of the 1939 film, so it doesn't bother Mei n that respect.

Also, Universal already has Wicked coming as two films in December 2024 and 2025 respectively. If WB is going to proceed with this film simultaneously, there could very be two Oz projects from different studios in the marketplace at the same time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks