-

Photo
- - - - -

Zemeckis to remake Wizard of Oz based on 1939 script

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,511 posts

Posted November 16 2010 - 11:53 PM

I don't think this will work, any more than the Psycho remake did:

http://www.deadline....riginal-script/

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,225 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted November 17 2010 - 01:50 AM

They couldn't get Gus Van Sant?

And how many un-greenlit Oz films have they announced in the past few years? I lost count.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

Producer

• 3,207 posts

Posted November 17 2010 - 02:59 AM

Meh.

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,053 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted November 17 2010 - 01:42 PM

According to Robert Zemeckis' publicist, he's not involved.

http://www.thewrap.c...oz-remake-22600

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   Brett*H

Brett*H

Stunt Coordinator

• 203 posts

Posted November 17 2010 - 02:04 PM

Is originality dead in Hollywood?  Sad...very sad...

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,129 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted November 17 2010 - 02:30 PM

It's been dead since at least 1939 since that version of OZ was a remake as well.

Originally Posted by Brett*H 

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,612 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted November 17 2010 - 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Elliott 

It's been dead since at least 1939 since that version of OZ was a remake as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett*H 

Yeah, didn't the last big OZ set include two earlier versions? Hollywood has been repeating itself since it began.

The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,053 posts

Posted November 17 2010 - 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Elliott 

And even the 1925 version was based on a novel.

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,129 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted November 17 2010 - 02:58 PM

It's doubtful any film will capture the heart of the 1939 version but we really need to get real.  There were versions throughout the 1910s and even the version Travis mentioned.  There were remakes after the Garland version.

I know a certain Garland board where people are going crazy but this remake made her a star and another remake (A STAR IS BORN) gave her her comeback so her fans should be thankful that Hollywood lacked any original ideas for the past 100 years.  It's a money machine pure and simple and these "same old, same old" titles are still making cash.

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted November 17 2010 - 03:38 PM

Not sure why everyone is so against doing a Oz remake. Id like to see something a bit more faithful.

Not sure what version it is, but AICN had some Oz production art up not too long ago. I thought they mentioned that art was for a animated version.

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,511 posts

Posted November 18 2010 - 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by JonZ 

Not sure why everyone is so against doing a Oz remake. Id like to see something a bit more faithful.

It's not the idea of doing a movie about Oz that's the problem;  It's the idea of doing a rehash of the 1939 version.

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,053 posts

Posted November 18 2010 - 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertR 

Originally Posted by JonZ 

It's not the idea of doing a movie about Oz that's the problem;  It's the idea of doing a rehash of the 1939 version.

Yeah, I'm not a guy who screams about remakes but I just don't understand why they'd use the same script rather than taking a new crack at the book.

Frankly, I find the idea that a remake wants to use the 1939 script hard to believe. They'll already have two strikes against them because they're remaking Wizard Of Oz in the first place (despite the multiple times that it's already been remade) but to make critical comparisons even tougher, they're going to use the same script as one of the most beloved movies ever made? What sense is there in that and what director or studio wants to put themselves and $150 or $200 million in that position?

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,930 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted November 22 2010 - 08:29 AM

If they re-adapted the books to stay truer to them, I'd be all for it.  Even if this remake was using an original script (I'm presuming the original script of the 1939 film got rewrote like crazy considering all the director change overs), it would be a curiosity I would check out.  If they plan to do a "Psycho" like remake though with updated songs and that... well... just a terrible idea really.

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted November 23 2010 - 10:26 PM

Betcha any new version's production company wont get the young star hooked on diet pills...........maybe.

Here's a frightening idea....what if Tim Burton directed it? Imagine Dorothy with a sickly pale complexion (and the patented Tim Burton "dark circles" under her eyes) with Johnny Depp playing all the other parts aside from Deep Roy who would, of course, be playing the all the munchkins........let's picture that for awhile.......hmmm...........nah, I'd rather not imagine that to be honest. I know some think the man can do no wrong but I have grown tired of his repetitive "vision".  YMMV.

-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,612 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted November 24 2010 - 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by TravisR 

According to Robert Zemeckis' publicist, he's not involved.

http://www.thewrap.c...oz-remake-22600

Hopefully that's true, otherwise it will be another of those creepy, CGI motion capture films that seem to be the only thing Zemeckis makes anymore.

The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,511 posts

Posted November 25 2010 - 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin M 

Betcha any new version's production company wont get the young star hooked on diet pills...........maybe.

Here's a frightening idea....what if Tim Burton directed it? Imagine Dorothy with a sickly pale complexion (and the patented Tim Burton "dark circles" under her eyes) with Johnny Depp playing all the other parts aside from Deep Roy who would, of course, be playing the all the munchkins........let's picture that for awhile.......hmmm...........nah, I'd rather not imagine that to be honest. I know some think the man can do no wrong but I have grown tired of his repetitive "vision".  YMMV.

OMG....Just before I read your post, I was thinking exactly the same thing LOL.  I hope Burton gets nowhere near this.

Forum Nav Content I Follow