-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Keeping fingers crossed about Breakdown

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 SergioM

SergioM

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted November 15 2010 - 04:42 PM

Any news on a possible blu-ray release of that terrific Kurt Russell 1997 thriller Breakdown directed by Johnathan Mostow? So far all there has been is a non-anamorphic DVD with ZERO extras. It's long overdue for a decent blu-ray remastering with commetaries from Russell and Mostow and a "making-of" features

#2 of 9 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,823 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted November 16 2010 - 12:32 AM

I agree. I'd love to see this film get some love with a really nice Blu-ray release.

#3 of 9 cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,030 posts

Posted November 16 2010 - 12:40 AM

Breakdown is a personal favorite and I'd love a Blu-ray release, too.

#4 of 9 Bob-ATL

Bob-ATL

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted November 17 2010 - 05:27 PM

Day one buy for me.  I really enjoy Breakdown.  I can't wait to retire my non-anamorphic dvd.

"She's into malacas, Dino!" Gary-Weird Science

#5 of 9 questrider

questrider

Stunt Coordinator

• 171 posts

Posted November 17 2010 - 05:45 PM

I too enjoy this movie.

However, this brings me to a question about the HD movies streaming on Netflix (through the PS3). I just watched "Breakdown" through there last week and it was anamorphic and looked a lot better than an SD DVD. So where does Netflix get this version of the film to stream if there is no anamorphic version or high-def release (BD) on the market?

#6 of 9 MattFini

MattFini

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted November 18 2010 - 12:16 AM

I love Breakdown, too.

Paramount has been nothing but disappointing in terms of their minimal catalogue releases.  I know they've released a few gems (and I'm really stoked for True Grit) but I want more than a tiny handful.

Universal, please release Streets of Fire on Blu-ray.

#7 of 9 cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,030 posts

Posted November 18 2010 - 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Brian Magnuson 

I too enjoy this movie.

However, this brings me to a question about the HD movies streaming on Netflix (through the PS3). I just watched "Breakdown" through there last week and it was anamorphic and looked a lot better than an SD DVD. So where does Netflix get this version of the film to stream if there is no anamorphic version or high-def release (BD) on the market?

Netflix gets their movies straight from the studios.  Their streaming videos aren't sourced from DVD or Blu-ray.  They actually have a lot of HD titles that aren't available on Blu-ray, and titles that aren't available on DVD at all.

#8 of 9 Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted November 18 2010 - 03:43 AM

I have a Region 2 DVD that I got from Amazon UK. I think Fox was the studio over there. Anyway, it's a stellar 2.35:1 release. PQ and AQ are excellent. The blu-ray is going to smash. No extras though so a new Mostow and/or Russell commentary would be most welcome.

This is one of my favorite thrillers so I hope Paramount releases it next year although 2012 would mark the 15th anniversary of it's release so maybe they will just wait?

#9 of 9 SamHarris

SamHarris

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted January 26 2011 - 09:05 AM

I agree. It was my favorite Kurt Russell movie of all. He kicked ass in that movie, just like he did when he played Wyatt Earp in the movie Tombstone.