Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Keeping fingers crossed about Breakdown

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 SergioM

SergioM

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted November 15 2010 - 04:42 PM

Any news on a possible blu-ray release of that terrific Kurt Russell 1997 thriller Breakdown directed by Johnathan Mostow? So far all there has been is a non-anamorphic DVD with ZERO extras. It's long overdue for a decent blu-ray remastering with commetaries from Russell and Mostow and a "making-of" features

#2 of 9 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,627 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted November 16 2010 - 12:32 AM

I agree. I'd love to see this film get some love with a really nice Blu-ray release.

#3 of 9 cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,022 posts

Posted November 16 2010 - 12:40 AM

Breakdown is a personal favorite and I'd love a Blu-ray release, too.

#4 of 9 Bob-ATL

Bob-ATL

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted November 17 2010 - 05:27 PM

Day one buy for me.  I really enjoy Breakdown.  I can't wait to retire my non-anamorphic dvd.

"She's into malacas, Dino!" Gary-Weird Science

#5 of 9 questrider

questrider

Stunt Coordinator

• 171 posts

Posted November 17 2010 - 05:45 PM

I too enjoy this movie.

However, this brings me to a question about the HD movies streaming on Netflix (through the PS3). I just watched "Breakdown" through there last week and it was anamorphic and looked a lot better than an SD DVD. So where does Netflix get this version of the film to stream if there is no anamorphic version or high-def release (BD) on the market?

#6 of 9 MattFini

MattFini

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted November 18 2010 - 12:16 AM

I love Breakdown, too.

Paramount has been nothing but disappointing in terms of their minimal catalogue releases.  I know they've released a few gems (and I'm really stoked for True Grit) but I want more than a tiny handful.

Universal, please release Streets of Fire on Blu-ray.

#7 of 9 cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,022 posts

Posted November 18 2010 - 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Brian Magnuson 

I too enjoy this movie.

However, this brings me to a question about the HD movies streaming on Netflix (through the PS3). I just watched "Breakdown" through there last week and it was anamorphic and looked a lot better than an SD DVD. So where does Netflix get this version of the film to stream if there is no anamorphic version or high-def release (BD) on the market?

Netflix gets their movies straight from the studios.  Their streaming videos aren't sourced from DVD or Blu-ray.  They actually have a lot of HD titles that aren't available on Blu-ray, and titles that aren't available on DVD at all.

#8 of 9 Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted November 18 2010 - 03:43 AM

I have a Region 2 DVD that I got from Amazon UK. I think Fox was the studio over there. Anyway, it's a stellar 2.35:1 release. PQ and AQ are excellent. The blu-ray is going to smash. No extras though so a new Mostow and/or Russell commentary would be most welcome.

This is one of my favorite thrillers so I hope Paramount releases it next year although 2012 would mark the 15th anniversary of it's release so maybe they will just wait?

#9 of 9 SamHarris

SamHarris

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted January 26 2011 - 09:05 AM

I agree. It was my favorite Kurt Russell movie of all. He kicked ass in that movie, just like he did when he played Wyatt Earp in the movie Tombstone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users