What's new

Best Buy does it again.... Premium pricing for Widescreen Cats and Dogs (1 Viewer)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
As I braved the crowds at Best Buy today, to do a little Christmas shopping, I made my mandatory visit to the DVD section. While browsing the family section I noticed several copies of Cats and Dogs in Widescreen. It was then I noticed a startling difference.

The widescreen versions were priced at 24.99 while the P&S versions which were in higher numbers were labeled at 22.99. Uninformed customers are obviously going to buy the cheaper version, even if they are not looking specifically for aspect ratios.

Hopefully this will not be a new trend at Best Buy, where we will have to pay a premium for widescreen titles where they order fewer copies. Online shopping is quickly becoming the best method to obtain discs once again.

J

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
I too wish they were priced the same, BUT if someone wants widescreen, they'll look for it on the case and spend the whopping $2 premium. If the customer doesn't care enough about aspect ratio to look for it or he just picks up the cheaper disc without asking or looking for a reason for it to cost more, do you really think they wanted the widescreen version in the first place?

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
It's not just with WS/P&S. At the Albany BB at least, the Unrated Basic Instinct SE is $22.99, while the R-rated is $17.99.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Jim, why should a premium have to be paid for the widescreen version when the MSRP of both discs is the same and it does not cost Best Buy anymore money to obtain the disc in widescreen.

If it comes down to paying the extra money for OAR I will always do so, but this could be the beginning of a new trend not only from the stores but also from the manufacturers.

J

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I paid the extra $2.00 without complaint. Only a month ago it seemed like they would not even bother carrying the widescreen edition, much less have it at a bargian price.

The reason for the higher price may be do to the fact that they ordered the widescreen edition in much lower volume, plus they where orders probably placed after some complaints about not having the widescreen, and not pre-ordered from the manufacturers months in advance of its release, hence a higher cost to them.

Warner first announced this as being only available in Fullframe and that was the time that the big chain stores where placing their orders. They may look at the statistics on a film like CATS AND DOGS and figure how many copies they will need to order to supply all of their retail locations. Had the widescreen edition been solicited at the same time they may have cut back on the quanity of full-frame editions and ordered some widescreen copies in their place, but as they where most likely under the impression that there would only be one version of the film, they went ahead and ordered X amount of units. When Warner announced the Widescreen edition, Best Buy and many other stores, most likely already had ordered all the copies of this disc that they felt needed.

Also remember that even a lot of online stores where late in getting the widescreen version.

So by the time the widescreen edition was widely available, Much of the demand for the title had already passed by (People tend to want stuff the week it comes out)

The fullframe editions that you see on the shelves are probably still leftovers from the initial shipments which where most likey purchased at a lower per unit cost then the widescreen versions that are now finally starting to hit the shelves.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Huh. Unless a markup occurred within the last couple of weeks, I know for a fact that my local Best Buy had both versions priced identically!

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
Jim, why should a premium have to be paid for the widescreen version when the MSRP of both discs is the same and it does not cost Best Buy anymore money to obtain the disc in widescreen.
Let me answer a question with a question. Would you rather pay MSRP for both of them? Then there would be no premium on the widescreen. :rolleyes

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
That's strange. DeepDiscountDVD is selling the widescreen edition for 19.08 (with free shipping and no tax) and it's selling the "fullscreen" edition at 19.50.

Who needs Best Buy?

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Actually I paid an extra $3.00 now that I think of it, No biggie. The Pan and Scans where 19.99 and the widescreens where $22.99.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Here's how I would have dealt with that situation:
Scott: (holding both versions of the Cats & Dogs DVD over my head and waving them about) Can I please speak to the manager or some other carbon-based life form with a brain and some semblance of authority here? Yes, I realize that you have 43 consumer sheep in line frantically flinging their purchases at you, but I'm just wondering why these two prices are different when the only difference is that one has the correct aspect ratio while the other one is a product I wouldn't use to sift doody from a catbox. Yes, I'll wait...
(Derisive snorts at everyone holding a Fullscreen DVD or VHS product.)
Manager: Can I help you?
Scott: Yes, do you realize that by making the butchered version cheaper what you're actually doing is contributing to the intellectual and artistic decline of the entire universe? Yes, I realize it's just a Jeff Goldblum movie with talking beagles but that's not the point. People who aim to own the PROPER version should not have to be penalized two dollars or even two wooden nickels for their choice and I insist that you either lower the Widescreen price by two bucks or you raise the Retard-O version up two bucks. I await your decision.
Manager: ...If I give you a copy for free, will you please fling yourself off of the nearest highway bridge?
And THAT'S how you get free DVDs, guys!
Happy Holidays to all, even the stupid people who think they're being ripped off if their movies don't done fillup the hole skreen.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Scott, that's utterly unrealistic.
HERE is how you do it.
Take one of the WS copies up and have it rung up. If, indeed, the WS version scans at the higher price it is marked, then say to the cashier "Wait-a-sec! That price is $2 too high!"
"No it isn't; it's marked on the box".
"Yeah; it's too high. Every other copy back there is marked less than that. I'll go get a box and prove it; hang on a sec."
Then, run on back and grab 2-3 copies of the P&S version marked at the lower price. Show them to the clerk. One of two things will happen:
1) They'll never notice the red banner at the top of one and the blue banner at the top of the other, and now they'll be obligated to give you the lower price.
2) They WILL notice that there's a difference between the two copies, and at least you can pay your extra $2 knowing that you've made a difference. You've made them realize there's two versions back there. Even IF it's in the way of letting them know it's okay to charge a premium for the OAR version! ;)
Which option do you truly, in your heart, think will occur? :D

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Aw, don't go away mad. It's okay. I was just trying to be helpful...
{Sad that I've upset him} :frowning:

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Scott, I enjoyed it. (of course I've wandered out of my Movies hole as well ;))
Really, since the P&S requires ALTERATION and since J6Pack is apparently just as adamant about obtaining a "non-ruined" version as we are, shouldn't the P&S go for $2 more?? I mean just look at the current "what I heard at Wal-Mart" thread. You think that guy wouldn't pay $2 extra for a P&S of Matrix, as well he should have to.
Seriously.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
Whenever I get into the widescreen vs. P&S debate in a store, I like to rip off my shirt. Then I explain:

"In pan & scan, you could only see ONE of my nipples... you would totally miss out on the other glorious nipple, and if they have to zoom in, you might miss out on my luscious ripe Buddha-belly as well." Then I hold the fullscreen copy over one nipple and scream "FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT'S HOLY, DON'T YOU WANT TO SEE BOTH MY NIPPLES WITHOUT PAYING EXTRA? DAMMIT MAN, ANAMORPHIC WIDESCREEN IS YOUR GOD!" Then I hand a knife to the guy and tell him "Here, cut off my other nipple, film-adulterer! PAN AND SCAN MY NIPPLES, YOU DARK LUSTY HEATHEN! MY SCREAMS WILL ECHO IN DTS-ES DISCRETE ACROSS THE WORLD! CAN YOU HEAR ME, WARNER BROTHERS? YOU SIT IN YOUR HIGH-AND-MIGHTY FULLSCREEN TOWER, BUT I'M COMING TO TEAR DOWN THE WALLS, BRICK BY FULLSCREEN BRICK!" Then, I chew through my wrist and spray "16x9" across the big multi-screen monitor in my own blood and run away laughing. TEE HEE!

And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for those damn meddling kids and their talking dog...

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
Scott-

What you said actually speaks volumes of truth about the state of Customer Service these days. Nobody cares. They are just there to collect your money. Nobody knows where anything is, and nobody knows anything about the product they're selling.

And you probably would've gotten the DVD for free because the manager would have no idea what you're talking about!

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
could be the beginning of a new trend not only from the stores but also from the manufacturers.
How can you point to a single example (one that may be a mistake since the online site has the same price for both) and call it the beginning of a trend?

I put this thread in the same category as the guy who just posted that all of Disney's live action DVD's would only be available in P&S, based only on early information from a single website that is known for incomplete and/or inaccurate information.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks