Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Weekly Roundup 11-16-2010

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#1 of 43 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,861 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted November 13 2010 - 04:15 PM

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#2 of 43 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,977 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted November 13 2010 - 04:35 PM

Grrr I have the $10 coupon for Christmas Carol and BB.com is $27.99.  I'd like to use the coupon.  I wonder if BB will match their web price or if I can use in store pick up and then try to apply the coupon?

#3 of 43 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,977 posts

Posted November 13 2010 - 04:38 PM

The 3D BB Last airbender looks interesting too, but I heard it was a rush conversion, so I'm not sure if it will be worth it.  Did anyone see it in 3D in the theater?

#4 of 43 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,861 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted November 13 2010 - 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich 

Grrr I have the $10 coupon for Christmas Carol and BB.com is $27.99.  I'd like to use the coupon.  I wonder if BB will match their web price or if I can use in store pick up and then try to apply the coupon?

I tried once a while back, at my local BB, Adam, to get them to match their web price with no luck.  Some members here say their BB will do it every time.  So its a definite YMMV situation.  Same with the in-store pickup.  I bet others will chime in with advice.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#5 of 43 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,977 posts

Posted November 13 2010 - 04:58 PM

I forgot to say thanks Mike and to add that when Metropolis goes on sale I am there!

#6 of 43 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted November 13 2010 - 05:09 PM

Thanks for the Round-Up!  I got in on Twilight Zone Season 2 back when Amazon had it for $56.99.  Season 3 is up for preorder for $74.99...I hope the price drops between now and February. I received Disney's A Christmas Carol 3D today, and it had a nice lenticular 3D cover.  And thanks to the Round-Up, the Sondheim Birthday Concert will be on my doorstep on street date. Thanks again!

#7 of 43 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,586 posts

Posted November 13 2010 - 05:24 PM

I don't exactly keep up on releases and I have a couple questions.  I already have Falling Down on BR.  Is this new release a more basic version than the "book" already available?  And what is "Complete" about Metropolis?  Has there been yet more lost footage found?

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#8 of 43 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted November 13 2010 - 05:46 PM

Great job, Mike. I have one request...is there any way that you can change the banner color for sd releases? I know from looking at your roundup every week that the sd titles are listed first, but every once in a while I get confused as to which list I am looking at, and the blue banner confuses me a tad (I keep thinking it is for blu-ray.) Anyway, great job as usual!

#9 of 43 OFFLINE   David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 2,160 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted November 13 2010 - 05:54 PM

Price Matching and using the coupon at Best Buy is a crap shoot.   For that matter even using the coupon at BB is an ordeal for some folks. Toys R Us by reports will have the 4 Disc Disney Christmas Carol for 28.99 and I think if you buy $40 in Disney movies you get a $10 gift card. A warning for those who are looking at purchasing the large World at War series -- this by reports this is a 16:9 cropped version of the original series from the early 70's. It appears to be the same as the UK box released earlier which has garnered almost as many 1 star reviews on Amazon as the Oprah narrated Life series.  Apparently if you can live with seeing less than the  original video what is left looks rather spectacular.

#10 of 43 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,226 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted November 13 2010 - 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by David Norman 

A warning for those who are looking at purchasing the large World at War series -- this by reports this is a 16:9 cropped version of the original series from the early 70's.

It appears to be the same as the UK box released earlier which has garnered almost as many 1 star reviews on Amazon as the Oprah narrated Life series.  Apparently if

you can live with seeing less than the  original video what is left looks rather spectacular.

I'm working on a review which should be up sometime on Sunday. I am less disturbed by the cropping than by the fact that the Blu-ray has weak contrasts and less vividness than the DVD set.

Rich Gallagher

#11 of 43 OFFLINE   David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 2,160 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted November 13 2010 - 06:43 PM

Yikes, so double trouble for $100+ set is not a good thing.

#12 of 43 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted November 14 2010 - 12:59 AM

The 3D BB Last airbender looks interesting too, but I heard it was a rush conversion, so I'm not sure if it will be worth it.  Did anyone see it in 3D in the theater?

I saw the 3d version in the theater.  The movie had a number of 360 pans (think Bad Boys), and low light action sceens.  They did not convert well to 3D.  There was not a lot of depth for a lot of the 3d to take advantage of so the effects were often pointless.

I am planning on picking this up in 2D myself.  Maybe I would reconsider if it dropped sub $20

#13 of 43 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,692 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted November 14 2010 - 01:17 AM

I'll be picking up the Avatar Blu-ray and maybe The Office shorts disc since it's pretty cheap. For those interested, The Kids Are All Right is a pretty good movie and worth a rental. Thanks for the prices!

#14 of 43 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,644 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 14 2010 - 01:45 AM

I forgot to say thanks Mike and to add that when Metropolis goes on sale I am there!

Amazon is showing a new release date of 11-23-10.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#15 of 43 OFFLINE   Scamp

Scamp

Stunt Coordinator

• 156 posts

Posted November 14 2010 - 02:32 AM

Hi Adam,

In my own experience, I've had no problem in getting Best Buy to match their online price and use the coupon, or match a competitor's ad and use the coupon.  I would not advise doing the in-store pick-up though and then trying to use the coupon as it would involve them then having to do a return and repurchase of the item; much easier to just have them match their online price in the store.  If that fails for you, I once printed their online price off and used it to pricematch at Walmart where I've also had no issue in using the coupon.

#16 of 43 ONLINE   timmytimmy

timmytimmy

Extra

• 23 posts

Posted November 14 2010 - 02:54 AM

Stellar work as always Mike.  That frame from Night of the Hunter is so, so perfectly creepy.  I am still debating on that BD release: so I want to take advantage of B&N's 50% off Criterion sale, or add it to the Christmas list?  Decisions, decisions! Avatar has already been shipped from Amazon, so I might be getting it on Monday.  Have a great week, everyone!

#17 of 43 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,511 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted November 14 2010 - 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Scamp 

Quote:

Hi Adam,

In my own experience, I've had no problem in getting Best Buy to match their online price and use the coupon, or match a competitor's ad and use the coupon.  I would not advise doing the in-store pick-up though and then trying to use the coupon as it would involve them then having to do a return and repurchase of the item; much easier to just have them match their online price in the store.  If that fails for you, I once printed their online price off and used it to pricematch at Walmart where I've also had no issue in using the coupon.

If that doesn't work, Target is selling it for $30, which is only $2 more.  Will BB's online price (they are calling it a sale) still be in effect when it's no longer a pre-order?

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#18 of 43 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,554 posts

Posted November 14 2010 - 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by JohnRice 

And what is "Complete" about Metropolis?  Has there been yet more lost footage found?

An almost complete print of the original premiere cut was found in Brazil a couple of years ago.  It was shown in a few theaters earlier this year and on TCM last week.  The extra footage is of noticeably lower quality, but it does fill in a couple of gaps in the story and is certainly worth seeing for fans of the film.

http://www.kino.com/...ation.html#rest

"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#19 of 43 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,586 posts

Posted November 14 2010 - 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bryan Tuck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRice 

And what is "Complete" about Metropolis?  Has there been yet more lost footage found?

An almost complete print of the original premiere cut was found in Brazil a couple of years ago.  It was shown in a few theaters earlier this year and on TCM last week.  The extra footage is of noticeably lower quality, but it does fill in a couple of gaps in the story and is certainly worth seeing for fans of the film.

http://www.kino.com/...ation.html#rest

Thanks for the info Bryan.  I guess I'm seriously out of touch.

For anyone who has Ultimate Electronics in their area, they are having some insane BR TV prices, though I think they are only through Monday.  $7 for seasons 1-5 of Weeds and $10 for seasons 1-3 of Mad Men.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#20 of 43 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,861 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted November 14 2010 - 12:51 PM

[quote]Originally Posted by JohnRice [url=/forum/thread/305814/weekly-roundup-11-16-2010#post_3750607]  Wow!  On BR?!?

Thanks, John!  I'll be checking that out!

Back to Bargains and Deals

Forum Nav Content I Follow