Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Unstoppable - quick review

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 38,176 posts

Posted November 13 2010 - 11:10 AM

Tony Scott's directorial style is actually pretty spot on for such a film about a runaway train. Good amount of tension throughout the film, can't wait for the amusement park ride. I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted November 14 2010 - 12:00 PM

This gave me a good laugh; the locations for "Unstoppable". http://former.imdb.c...77080/locations
"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,457 posts

Posted November 14 2010 - 12:13 PM

Tony Scott's directorial style was by far the worst aspect of the film.  Would it kill Scott to let a shot last for more than 1/10th of a second?  Would it be possible for the camera to remain still for an eensy-weensy moment?  And how about all those quick zooms?  Gotta give the movie that urgent sense of documentary realism, right? Ugh.  The film was a mess in terms of editing and visuals.  It treated every second of the story like it was the climax.  Even the press conference at the end featured quick cuts and spinning cameras.  Tony, when you present the whole story like there's a bomb under a bus, none of it delivers tension or excitement.  The whole thing becomes one long, stressful piece of mush, as none of the action scenes seem more intense than any of the others. Scott would treat two guys eating donuts like the climax of "Die Hard". Which is a shame, as the movie has potential.  Good cast, interesting premise, and even with the over the top cinematic style, it still delivers a few jolts. But not nearly as many as it could with a less hyperactive director.  Scott needs to remember that movies are movies, not two-hour music videos...
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 2,028 posts
  • LocationNew York City/San Lorenzo, PR

Posted November 16 2010 - 12:41 AM

This was OK but I was expecting more. The film had kind of a TV-movie feel, with two guys just trying to prevent the train from crashing. With a plot like this I guess you can't expect there to be too many disaster-movie cliches...the movie isn't about a train crash and the aftermath, it's about preventing one. I hope at least there will be a better chance of the real 'Runaway Train" film with Jon Voight coming out on Blu-ray.
RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   harryjone

harryjone

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted November 30 2010 - 05:18 PM

Funny how the title of this movie is “Unstoppable,” because that was how much control over my breathing while watching this suspensful movie—unstoppable. What I can say about this film? It was incredible. I had seen the trailer for this movie and figured I would go see it because there was a grand-reopening of our local theater. Part of me wanted to see HP7 because I had seen the other 6 films, but due to my views against witchcraft and wizardry, I decided against this.

Thanks!!

Harry-Used Caravans For Sale

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users