-

Jump to content



Photo
- - - - -

The battle over The World at War


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   bigshot

bigshot

    Screenwriter

  • 1,155 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 30 2008

Posted November 12 2010 - 06:45 PM

The landmark 26 part TV series is coming out on bluray soon, but it's shaping up to be one of the most controversial remasters ever. In order to sell the show to Discovery, the producers had to reformat the aspect ratio to standard widescreen from the old TV aspect ratio. This meant reframing and cropping. Reviews are turning up with screen grabs of Hitler with the top of his head cut off, and Amazon is packed with negative reviews already. Thankfully, you can still get the series in it's original aspect ratio on DVD at ebay for $33. I bought it and checked it out on my 10 foot projection system. It looks about the same as the bluray grabs... Except with a third more image. If you are interested in this series, I'd snap it up while you can still get the DVDs. I bet they'll be replacing those with amputated versions soon. Edit: Nitwit nitpick

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Regulus

Regulus

    Screenwriter

  • 2,242 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 07 2006

Posted November 12 2010 - 11:20 PM

I Got myself a copy of this series along with a Complete Set of Space 1999 for $60.00 during a BOGO Sale at DeeDees a couple of years ago. Althought I have two HD-TVs (Purchased during "Nathonal Day of Insanity" (That's "Black Friday" for those of you in a certain town outside of Sacramento, California!) Posted Image Sales in 2005 and 2007, respectively), I have not purchased any Blu-Ray Players, as I have not seen any justification to do so at this time. In other words, IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!!! Posted Image


DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 36,370 :biggrin: ( 754 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,414  :biggrin: Serial Chapters - 1,201 :B)


#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

    Supporting Actor

  • 893 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 01 2008

Posted November 13 2010 - 12:13 AM

You can currently get the series from the Edward Hamilton Bookseller catalog for $29.95. That's where I got it.



#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

    Screenwriter

  • 1,719 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 24 2007

Posted November 13 2010 - 01:20 AM

The World At War was made by Thames not BBC. Thames also produced Rumpole of the Bailey and the Benny Hill Show. Why do so many people assume if it was made in England, the BBC did it?


I've watched the first disc of the Blu-ray set and it's not that irritating. The main problem with framing happens during the start of interviews since the titles are burned into the film. They have to cut more off the top of the head than what's usual for widescreen and then they frame up after the titles are over.



come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

    Screenwriter

  • 1,608 posts
  • Join Date: May 03 2008
  • Real Name:Howie
  • LocationMid-South

Posted November 13 2010 - 02:35 AM

^Irritating or not and no matter *how* you look at it and/or justify it the presentation is *modified* from the OAR.  For years we've complained about WS films being offered in butchered P&S for TV and now it's going the other way.  Normal 4x3 is being butchered for the sake of the "Joe 6-pack" crowd who "don't like them black bars" and stretch the 4x3 image to fit that shiny new WS set.  For my money if the product is *not* offered in the OAR I do not want it.  I'd rather have a low res "normal" copy than any high res hack job any day.


And yes, there are *lots* of producers of product from across the pond other than the Beeb.  It's just that most people have the impression that since the BBC pretty much runs/controls the broadcast spectrum they do all the production as well.  It's a similar situation to those who think that just because a certain U.S. network airs a program they must have produced it as well.


FWIW the OP didn't say the BBC produced the program but that it is a landmark BBC series.  Since it aired on BBC that is an accurate statement.



#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

    Screenwriter

  • 1,719 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 24 2007

Posted November 13 2010 - 04:43 AM

The World At War aired on ITV - not BBC. ITV was the rival to the BBC. Therefore by referring to The World at War as a BBC series is wrong. The BBC had nothing to do with this series until it was rerun on BBC2 last summer. To credit that as a "landmark BBC series" is stretching it.


what is annoying is a non-researched defense. No wonder people have the impression that the BBC made everything because it seems some people don't want to do the background check to get the right information posted.


Originally Posted by BobO'Link 


And yes, there are *lots* of producers of product from across the pond other than the Beeb.  It's just that most people have the impression that since the BBC pretty much runs/controls the broadcast spectrum they do all the production as well.  It's a similar situation to those who think that just because a certain U.S. network airs a program they must have produced it as well.


FWIW the OP didn't say the BBC produced the program but that it is a landmark BBC series.  Since it aired on BBC that is an accurate statement.




come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

    Executive Producer

  • 14,815 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 20 1999
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted November 13 2010 - 04:55 AM



Originally Posted by Regulus 

I have not purchased any Blu-Ray Players, as I have not seen any justification to do so at this time. In other words, IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!!! Posted Image

You don't know what you are missing.  Time to pick up a BD player on the upcoming "Day of Insanity".




#8 of 12 OFFLINE   bigshot

bigshot

    Screenwriter

  • 1,155 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 30 2008

Posted November 13 2010 - 05:05 AM

Maybe I should change it from "the landmark BBC series" to "the landmark foreign series". That would be more accurate.

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

    Screenwriter

  • 1,719 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 24 2007

Posted November 13 2010 - 05:14 AM


it's not about it being accurate - it's about being right and being wrong. You are wrong. You need to fix it in your original post. You can say the original ITV series - or the Thames Production. Just correct it.


Originally Posted by bigshot 

Maybe I should change it from "the landmark BBC series" to "the landmark foreign series". That would be more accurate.


come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

    Screenwriter

  • 1,608 posts
  • Join Date: May 03 2008
  • Real Name:Howie
  • LocationMid-South

Posted November 13 2010 - 05:18 AM



Originally Posted by Corey3rd 

The World At War aired on ITV - not BBC. ITV was the rival to the BBC. Therefore by referring to The World at War as a BBC series is wrong. The BBC had nothing to do with this series until it was rerun on BBC2 last summer. To credit that as a "landmark BBC series" is stretching it.


what is annoying is a non-researched defense. No wonder people have the impression that the BBC made everything because it seems some people don't want to do the background check to get the right information posted.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BobO'Link 


And yes, there are *lots* of producers of product from across the pond other than the Beeb.  It's just that most people have the impression that since the BBC pretty much runs/controls the broadcast spectrum they do all the production as well.  It's a similar situation to those who think that just because a certain U.S. network airs a program they must have produced it as well.


FWIW the OP didn't say the BBC produced the program but that it is a landmark BBC series.  Since it aired on BBC that is an accurate statement.


 

I stand corrected!  And thanks!  No, I did not research the original airing network simply because like many others I fell into the trap that "quality documentary = BBC" even though I know better... :)



#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

    Executive Producer

  • 14,815 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 20 1999
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted November 14 2010 - 04:49 PM

Rich posted his review here: http://www.hometheat...ar#post_3750662



#12 of 12 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

    Screenwriter

  • 1,491 posts
  • Join Date: Jun 13 2006
  • Real Name:David

Posted November 18 2010 - 06:53 AM



Originally Posted by bigshot 

Maybe I should change it from "the landmark BBC series" to "the landmark foreign series". That would be more accurate.



Whenever I refer to a British TV series, I merely refer to it as "British TV Series". I don't care which of their networks produced what. I also refer to American TV Series' as "American TV Series". That way, no one is offended.







Forum Nav Content I Follow