What's new

so Does Anyone here like 80s Music? (1 Viewer)

robertdavis1234

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert Davis
Hey guys,
I was listening to the radio in my town (Kent) yesterday when they played this 'new' band called Memorial Beach - http://www.memorialbeachmusic.com The music was really good but it sounded like it came straight from the 80s - it made me laugh cause I remember the time when no one would admit they liked 80s music and now its back in style.

Their website actually looks pretty rudimentary, not even a band photo on the site but I did like the song I heard - it reminded me of some bands I used to listen to a lot like the Cure, Human League, Cars, Smiths, etc.

So what kind of bands did you guys listen to back in the day? I think I'm gonna bust out my record collection again. :)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Nice song, but the nature of "Memorial Beach" is kind of cryptic. From the website:

What is Memorial Beach?
It has come to my attention that many of you are wondering what Memorial Beach is. Well in order to answer that question, I believe I must firstly tell you what Memorial Beach is not.

Memorial Beach is not a band. Bands died out a long time ago with the 60s & 70s. The only real bands left today are the ones that are out playing the small places every week, playing their music purely for the love of it and the love of their fans. But 'bands' these days are marketing vehicles for companies and for themselves, designed to quench everyone's appetite for the same thing - money.

Memorial Beach is made up its fans. Fans of the music have, in turn, helped create the music and everything else you see here. Profit generated from these activities goes to charity and other good causes. Memorial Beach is a chance for everyone to be included and experience what it feels like to be a part of a real band. But don't fool yourself - Memorial Beach is not and can never fit the definition of what a band is. Rather, MB is more of a "community formed around an idea" and that idea is that fans should get what they want.​

So think about what I've said, download a few things, and most of all... enjoy the music.​

I'm not quite sure what that means. :)

There's a song I keep hearing on the radio lately that sounds straight out of 1982, but they never seem to say the name of it when I hear it played.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Love 80's music! I have two iPods just so I can keep one full of 80's music at all times. My playlist includes:

• Duran Duran
  • Culture Club
  • Dead or Alive
  • Cyndi Lauper
  • Europe
  • Taylor Dayne
  • Miami Sound Machine
  • Kim Wilde
  • Bananarama
  • Whitesnake
  • U2
  • Whitney Houston (before she went crazy)
  • Phil Collins
  • Peter Gabriel
  • Rick Astley
  • Laura Branigan
  • Madonna
  • Living in a Box
  • Prince
  • Expose
  • Depeche Mode
  • Erasure
  • Eurythmics
  • Samantha Fox

There was so much variety on the radio in the 80's. Today, playlists are so narrow that lots of music goes unnoticed.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I figured out the song: Sweet Disposition by The Temper Trap. It was used on the (500) Days of Summer soundtrack.

If you like '80s music, you need a PlayStation and SingStar: '80s. Also, check out the movie Adventureland, which has a ton of great '80s tunes on the soundtrack.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I love '80s music. Nothing guilty about it. It's when I grew up, and there was some good and some bad. A whole lot more good than right now in music, but that's just my perspective. I have a thousand songs in the '80s category alone on my iPod.

Some random favorites: Breaking Us in Two, Steppin' Out - Joe Jackson, The One I Love - REM, Something About You - Level 42.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Count me in as an 80s music fan. Definitely one of my favorite eras - young and little to no responsibility with puffy hair!

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Same here. I couldn't get enough of Hall and Oates, still like listening to them. Duran Duran, Def Leppard, and The Allen Parsons Project were others I loved to listen to. I was so vain about my long hair back then. I had two inspirations when it came to styling it, Mel Gibson's from Lethal Weapon and Jeff Goldblum's from The Fly. Now, I have nothing but peach fuzz on my skull and I'm happy with it. Long hair is far to high maintenance. The moment it starts coming in, I whip out the electric razor.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Huge 80's fan, I grew up with the stuff. Love pretty much all of it. But, a-ha, Oingo Boingo, Duran Duran, Depeche Mode were among my top favs. The Smiths, The Cure, most of the hair bands...and so on.

I got a very rare treat to see a-ha live back in July, last farewell tour before they disband. Man, that was a show I will never, ever forget. Morten sounded like he was singing live back in the 80's, his voice was outstanding.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by SWFF

Now, I have nothing but peach fuzz on my skull and I'm happy with it. Long hair is far to high maintenance. The moment it starts coming in, I whip out the electric razor.

You and me both. Well, I never had long hair (bowl cuts until about the 9th grade, flattops for a couple of years), but when I had normal length hair, it would drive me nuts when I went too long between hair cuts. It'd curl up in the back, and hang in my eyes in the front. I finally got a Wahl and use the Number 1 guide comb for that Ben Bailey look. So convenient. One run of the towel and it's dry, and no brushing, gelling, spraying, anything. I'll sometimes let it grow out to about a Number 3 guide comb length, but I eventually want to get back to the 1.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
A-Ha! Forget about them! Always loved that video for "Take On Me."

And, "Stereotomy" from The Allen Parson's Project is insane. That whole album is awesome. Not to mention that album with that song, "Standing On Higher Ground."

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
I still listen to Japan (and David Sylvian), ABC, Heaven 17, Thomas Dolby, and wish Peter Godwin would record more music. While not all 80s music has aged with grace, these sure have, and still sounds fresh (at least to my ears ;))

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I like a lot of 80's music. Some of my favorite bands that started in the 70's put out some good music in the 80's. The Police, The Clash, Talking Heads, Joe Jackson etc....I still listen to INXS, Depeche Mode, The Fixx, Midnight Oil and lots of others. Never liked the hair bands however. It was a really diverse decade for music.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I didn't like hair bands in the '80s (more of a Metallica/ Iron Maiden kinda guy) but I really appreciate them now. Go figure!

A classic '80s band that recently semi-reunited: It Bites. No Francis Dunnery, but their new album is still good.

Just had lunch at the local CiCi's Pizza and they had all '80s tracks playing: 19, Kayleigh, Wild Boys, it was great. On a related note, for anyone else in south Florida, 97.3 WRMF does "Totally '80s Weekend" every Friday night through Sunday night.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
VH1 Classics does Metal Mania every weekend night, and it draws mostly from the '80s. Then, they have a morning '80s block that is more pop, but it's great. The only problem is a very limited playlist, so you'll hear the same songs over and over. They may have finally rotated it out, but for a while, it wasn't Friday or Saturday night without Dokken's Dream Warriors.

Other than liking a few songs here and there from the hair bands, I hated them and considered them the death of music. Little did I know how much I would miss them.

Too bad John Kilduff hasn't been seen in a while. He'd love this topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks