Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

CBS Remaking "The Wild Wild West"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,399 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted November 11 2010 - 12:47 PM

http://www.deadline....-naren-shankar/

CBS is bringing the adventures of Secret Service Agents Jim West and Artemis Gordon back to the small screen. "Battlestar Galactica" developer/showrunner Ronald D. Moore and former "CSI" executive producer/co-showrunner Naren Shankar are writing and executive producing. Since this is Moore's third series this year, following Sci-Fi police procedural "17th Precinct" and coast guard adventure series "The McCulloch" for NBC, Shankar would presumably be showrunning should the pilot make it to series. If they boil it down to the essentials of two secret service agents going on missions for President Ulysses S. Grant in a steam-punk twist on the post-Civil War West, I think this could be terrific. Ditch the train, ditch the over reliance on gadgets. Put these guys on horseback, have them sleeping under the open sky between towns, mix in normal outlaws and thieves with the more fantastical villains, and it's a show I'd definitely want to watch.

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,907 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted November 11 2010 - 01:38 PM

Kind of like Red Dead Redemption: The Series.  Posted Image  I'm not a BSG fan at all, but I've liked some of Moore's past work and am interested in a new western.  I'll check it out, at least.  So, the other two are for next season as well?

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Steve Armbrust

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit

• 286 posts

Posted November 12 2010 - 02:34 AM

I say bring on the train and bring on the gadgets.  This is one remake I can get behind.

Living in the Baseball Wasteland.

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter

• 1,766 posts

Posted November 12 2010 - 05:45 AM

It is not Wild Wild West without the train and gadgets.  Will watch it a few times to see if it is any good.

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,063 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted November 12 2010 - 08:13 AM

If steampunk gadgets and the train aren't part of this, then it's crap.   This show was the heart of the steampunk set.   You can't go back and say "we'll remake a series without the stuff that people loved".

I mean, you can remake BattleStar Galactica, but I don't recall any thought of "We'll remake Battlestar.. without the Cylons!" 

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,907 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted November 12 2010 - 09:27 AM

Yeah, but he did it without the *good* Cylons.  The '70s versions were iconic, the CGI versions were crap.

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,110 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted November 12 2010 - 10:01 AM

Haven't really heard too many people actually dissing the nu-Cylons from the remake since the show started -- in fact, the ones seen in Seasons 3 and 4 are quite stunning and photorealistic.

(Though, at least design-wise, you'll get another chance to see the "classic" Cylons in action, in BSG: Blood & Chrome, if technically in a different continuity.)

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,539 posts

Posted November 12 2010 - 10:13 AM

Gotta have the gadgets (and the disguises).  I'll never understand the attitude that says "hey, let's bring back old series X, but change it so we're not really bringing it back".  If you want to do something different, why the hell are you using the old name?

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,287 posts

Posted November 15 2010 - 04:27 AM

Well I love the Original, and I'm sure CBS is all remake crazy since Hawaii Five O is a hit. But I wish there was more originality today. Good Original shows get cancelled, still I'll watch, has to be better than the Will Smith Version. Isn't the Streets of San Fran Remake still on track?

My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,399 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted November 15 2010 - 03:44 PM

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted November 19 2010 - 01:57 PM

In one of the highest-profile reboots this season, CBS is looking to revive the 1960s action-adventure Western The Wild Wild West . . .

Oy vey!

"Delenda est . . . . "