Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Kino Press Release: The Black Pirate (Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,336 posts

Posted November 11 2010 - 01:22 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted November 11 2010 - 01:47 AM

I can't hardly wait.

Kino's DVD was spectacular, so I have high expectations for the BRD.

Chaplin At Keystone, Buster Keaton, and now the greatest pirate movie ever made all at the end of the year.

The Black Pirate is what entertainment is all about.

Fairbanks goes up and down and diagonally across that ship in defiance of gravity.

He moves with the velocity of a bullet with a rudder.

And then there is the early Technicolor, which is lovely most of the time.

If you haven't seen The Black Pirate yet, you owe yourself  the treat.

#3 of 13 ONLINE   Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,160 posts

Posted November 11 2010 - 05:53 PM

While I would never want it done, because artistically it's apalling, technologically I've always wondered if it'd be possible to take the two strip technicolor movies and triangulate them to render a the 'third' strip that was never exposed before and create a three strip movie out of it (it almost sounds like a modern art 'reappropriation' exhibit, heh).  I imagine today's color tools could create a pretty impressive 'realistic' look to a two strip film, and again, I'm glad they're NOT doing that. :)

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,990 posts

Posted November 12 2010 - 12:18 AM

I presume that I'm recalling this correctly.  I believe that the two color version of The Black Pirate is made of different takes than was originally released, ie. B negative.  The original, AFAIK, no longer exists. Can't wait to see this. RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted November 12 2010 - 01:03 AM

Was the A negative also in two-strip Technicolor?

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,990 posts

Posted November 12 2010 - 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard--W 

Was the A negative also in two-strip Technicolor?

"Two-strip" Technicolor, as opposed to "three-strip," is a misnomer.  It never existed.  Two COLOR Technicolor was a process that exposed two frames of the negative per exposure on a single strip of film.

Please go here:

http://widescreenmus...echnicolor2.htm

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   John_S

John_S

Stunt Coordinator

• 87 posts

Posted November 12 2010 - 04:53 AM

I love this movie and will eagerly upgrade to the Blu-ray!

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   compson

compson

Agent

• 44 posts

Posted January 16 2011 - 11:07 AM

Anyone seen the BD yet?  Pretty good movie--I'd like to know what they're able to do with it.

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,614 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted January 16 2011 - 05:27 PM

I haven't watched the whole thing, but I've sampled about 5-10 minutes of it total, and it looks great, IMO. DVD Beaver's review is spot on, IMO. http://www.dvdbeaver...ate_blu-ray.htm

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   Will Krupp

Will Krupp

Screenwriter

• 1,270 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted January 16 2011 - 06:34 PM

I'm a bona fide Technicolor nutcase (have been since I was eight years old) so I had this on release day and, like Brandon, I've sampled it but haven't sat to watch it all the way through.  I agree that this is well worth a purchase based on what I've seen so far.  I'm STILL amazed this made it to blu-ray!

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,990 posts

Posted January 17 2011 - 01:21 AM

Precisely how well this Blu-ray matches the original hues is the 800 pound gorilla in the room, and not within the control of Kino, which I'm certain has done whatever they can to achieve the best looking image from what is available to them.  The problem goes back to the Eastman Color negative, how exposure were made from the original elements, and in what quality.  That is a huge question. RAH

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   Brianruns10

Brianruns10

Second Unit

• 276 posts

Posted January 17 2011 - 05:49 AM

I wonder if the O-neg they used for the restoration is still in existence?  Considering the restoration was made some time ago, there might be some benefit in going back to the source and relying upon current digital technology. Of course, this is probably wishful thinking, since I doubt there is money enough to restore such a niche title.

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,212 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted January 17 2011 - 08:03 AM

What I'm reading into RAH's post is that, at some point, the original nitrate elements were judged to be in need of preservation, and the call was made to create a colour element on Eastman stock, so the big question is whether the original 2-colour negative exists, in what condition, and whether a usable element could be created from it? This may be a simple case of Kino doing the best they could with available elements, especially if the original nitrate was junked and all that exists is the Eastman colour negative. RAH, am I reading too much into your comments?
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users