Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Tremors on Blu-Ray

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,542 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted November 10 2010 - 02:43 PM

It looks great.  I just finished watching it and this is a movie that really enjoys the high resolution of HD.  The desert scenery looks marvelous.  I found colors and skin tones to look normal and the picture was sharp and detailed.  The wife had already retired so I didn't  crank up the sound, but it sounded great too. I don't know whether I was just paying more attention this time, but I had never really noticed the time of day in this film before, or rather the lighting resulting from the time of day.  There was a scene later in the day the Chang's market and you could tell it was getting on in the afternoon. I did notice a technical flub.  Towards the end when Val takes off  yelling "I've got a plan!"  See if you notice it. If you liked this movie before, you will like it on this blu-ray.  I haven't checked out the extras, but they look to be a port over of the DVD extras.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,045 posts

Posted November 10 2010 - 03:10 PM

I'm very glad to hear this.  The HD-DVD was pretty bad and Universal's track record isn't very good when it comes to catalogue titles on Blu-ray.  Thanks for the recommendation.

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,542 posts

Posted November 10 2010 - 03:19 PM

Amazon and BB both have it it for $15.  I bet that's a release week price only and it may go up to $20 after that.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#4 of 14 ONLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 15,043 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted November 10 2010 - 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Johnny Angell 

It looks great.  I just finished watching it and this is a movie that really enjoys the high resolution of HD.  The desert scenery looks marvelous.  I found colors and skin tones to look normal and the picture was sharp and detailed.  The wife had already retired so I didn't  crank up the sound, but it sounded great too.

I don't know whether I was just paying more attention this time, but I had never really noticed the time of day in this film before, or rather the lighting resulting from the time of day.  There was a scene later in the day the Chang's market and you could tell it was getting on in the afternoon.

I did notice a technical flub.  Towards the end when Val takes off  yelling "I've got a plan!"  See if you notice it.

If you liked this movie before, you will like it on this blu-ray.  I haven't checked out the extras, but they look to be a port over of the DVD extras.

The HD DVD had a lot of EE.  It was pretty easy to see.  Any sign of it on the BD?

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner

Supporting Actor

• 844 posts

Posted November 10 2010 - 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich 

The HD DVD had a lot of EE.  It was pretty easy to see.  Any sign of it on the BD?

It's the same plastic transfer as on the HD-DVD.

http://forum.blu-ray...47-post130.html

Sharpened and degrained rubbish: http://img178.images...00010140952.jpg

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,542 posts

Posted November 11 2010 - 12:37 AM

It looked fine to me.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   Martin Henry

Martin Henry

Stunt Coordinator

• 72 posts

Posted November 11 2010 - 10:58 PM

'Fine' certainly isn't the four lettered word I would use to describe it.

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

HTF Premium Member

• 3,426 posts

Posted November 11 2010 - 11:22 PM

Gack!!! So much for getting a decent HD video presentation of Tremors. This is probably the last chance we had for the foreseeable future. Thanks for nothing Universal.

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   Martin Henry

Martin Henry

Stunt Coordinator

• 72 posts

Posted November 12 2010 - 12:41 AM

Doug, you avatar has reminded me that as much as I want The Big Lebowski on BD, I also fear what Universal will do to it.

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,045 posts

Posted November 12 2010 - 01:20 AM

How was the Big Lebowski HD-DVD?

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

HTF Premium Member

• 3,426 posts

Posted November 12 2010 - 02:21 AM

The Big Lebowski HD-DVD has a number of problems. It too is a noisy, processed transfer and it REALLY needs to be revisited and corrected. Given Universal's track record however, I have no doubt that they'll just regurgitate the existing HD video directly to the Blu-ray release. The Dude minds. This aggression will not stand, man.

#12 of 14 ONLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 15,043 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted November 12 2010 - 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by Martin Henry 

Can you go into a bit more detail on what issues you have with it?

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,542 posts

Posted November 12 2010 - 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Henry 

Can you go into a bit more detail on what issues you have with it?

Would you cite a specific scene?  I'd like to re-watch with an eagle eye for the problem.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

HTF Premium Member

• 3,426 posts

Posted November 12 2010 - 05:30 AM

See post #5.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow