-

Photo
- - - - -

AirPrint for iOS on Mac and Windows MIA

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted November 10 2010 - 04:43 AM

According to this story http://www.tuaw.com/...d-pcs-canceled/

The ability for an iPad with iOS 4.2 to use a printer connected to a Mac or Windows machine for output is being pulled. An email from Apple to a developer was quoted as saying...

Support for AirPrint on Windows and Mac has been canceled. We will be in contact with you if another opportunity arises in the future.

This marks the second time, that I can think of, that a major feature promised for a product's release, the first time was the infamous AirDisk for Time Machine (now fixed), has been quietly pulled.

I understand that unforeseen things sometimes happen. It seems to me when Apple touts a major feature at an event to promote an upcoming product, if that feature is canceled or fundamentally changed, for whatever reason, Apple should, at the least issue a press release announcing that the feature is no longer part of the product as soon as it is known to them.

In this case, printers that support the feature natively will apparently still work. But very few printers do that.

Am I the only one that thinks this kind of thing reflects rather poorly on Apple. Not only from the standpoint of their inability to bring a promised feature to market, but the apparent willingness to potentially mislead consumers in regards to changed features in a product.

Or maybe I am being too harsh? I doubt anyone bought an iPad solely because they were promised to be able to print wirelessly to a printer connected to a Mac or Windoze box but still, it it just seems like poor form to me.

-Keith

As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. - Hunter S. Thompson, 1958, from cover letter he wrote for a newspaper job.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted November 10 2010 - 05:19 AM

For a lot of people, this is one of those things that should have been a no brainer.   But right now, airshare is probably the only reliable way to do this with formatting in tact.

This is a bit of a kludge, considering android supports HTTP Printques and WindowsPhone7 supports LPR/HTTP printques... and both have promised full PictBridge compliance, etc.

(That's a USB cable from device straight to a printer, like an HP, and print)   The ability for an iPad to go to a printer to me is a no-brainer.   I'm kind of surprised this is being killed.  I'd be interested to know what printers work with it now, because if you can find out what software they are running, creating a reliable universal print server shouldn't be impossible.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#3 of 6 ONLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 16,713 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted November 10 2010 - 05:20 AM

The only thing more difficult than (or stupider/deadlier than) trying to unify printing across OSes is starting a land war in asia.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted November 10 2010 - 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Sam Posten 

The only thing more difficult than (or stupider/deadlier than) trying to unify printing across OSes is starting a land war in asia.

Really?   Because LPR-PCL has been as close to unified as anything, and using just that, I can print from damn near anything to damn near any modern printer.  Posted Image  And have been able to for years.   From any OS.   Hell, I can email from my blackberry to my queue server and using just dead LPR-PCL print out on my laserjet just fine Posted Image

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,511 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted November 10 2010 - 10:43 AM

This story appears to have been much ado about nothing:

http://www.tuaw.com/...s-not-canceled/

I think Mr. Jobs says it best:

Don't believe everything you read.

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Ken Chan

Ken Chan

Producer

• 3,302 posts

Posted November 10 2010 - 12:51 PM

Not necessarily. The dipshit moron trolling for a response ("vaporware") asked the wrong question:

As a release-day purchaser of an iPad, I was elated when you revealed iOS 4.2 would support AirPrint. Now comes reports AirPrint support has been pulled from 4.2. Between announcements/assurances of the white iPhone, and now the pulling of AirPrint, is Apple going to lose credibility and become known for announcing "vaporware"?

The troll asked about pulling the entire feature, to which Jobs easily responded.