-

Photo

Ginger Rogers title Bachelor Mother-1939 up for pre-order at Movies Unlimited for November 9th

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 FrankXS

FrankXS

Stunt Coordinator

• 216 posts

Posted November 08 2010 - 05:51 AM

Does any one know where this title is coming from ?   It hasn't been available through the Warner Archive or regular DVD release from Warner Home Entertainment.  This was a 1939 RKO title so should be coming from Warner one way or the other.  Why a single title with no one posting of its forthcoming release ?

#2 of 6 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,144 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted November 08 2010 - 06:03 AM

If I were to venture a guess, MOD - hopefully remastered.

I'm buying, either way. Been waiting for the DVD since I saw the film in college on Laserdisc in 2003.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#3 of 6 jdee28

jdee28

Screenwriter

• 1,002 posts

Posted November 08 2010 - 08:58 AM

Bachelor Mother was mentioned awhile ago on the Warner Archive Facebook page.

#4 of 6 GregoryMesh

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor

• 529 posts

Posted November 08 2010 - 06:00 PM

It will be part of  Warner Archive, but I don't see red  "remastered edition" banner:

image/id/394538/width/1000/height/500

#5 of 6 mal3

mal3

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted November 08 2010 - 08:23 PM

It has been available in the UK for some time in a d/b with The Major and the Minor should anyone not want to go the MOD route.

http://www.play.com/...er/Product.html

Mal

#6 of 6 jdee28

jdee28

Screenwriter

• 1,002 posts

Posted November 09 2010 - 05:02 PM

It's a shame that Warner will not be remastering this title. Guess we are stuck with the 20 + year transfer for a long time to come.

We know how the market is today. What was it about the market in the late 80s and early 90s that allowed MGM/UA Home Video to release so many classic films like Bachelor Mother to retail VHS, films that never got a retail DVD release?