Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ White Christmas -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 of 27 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 2,520 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted August 13 2014 - 12:17 AM

Mmmm...  I've yet to jump for "White Christmas" on Blu-ray (I've sold my DVD), so the Diamond Edition sounds like just the ticket for me. 

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#22 of 27 OFFLINE   GlennF

GlennF

Stunt Coordinator

• 204 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted August 13 2014 - 04:27 AM

I'm one of those people who think the Blu-ray looks terrific.  After watching it for so many years on NBC in black and white and then the very grainy DVD this was a revelation!  The audio has never been terrific..but I guess that is what they had.  Never read the posts about the bluish faces until now .  Never noticed that.  Perhaps it is the setting on my television that I have always preferred a little on the "warmish" side.  I will say the blues "pop", but so do all the other colours.  The reds in the final number are amazing.  If you don't own this film, and have any affection for it, I would not hesitate to buy it!

#23 of 27 OFFLINE   Will Krupp

Will Krupp

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted August 13 2014 - 05:37 AM

POPULAR

This is one of my favorite blu-rays in my entire collection and I re-visit it more often than I'm sure is healthy.  I think the colors look absolutely terrific.  Anyone who hasn't seen it is in for a treat.

I haven't, personally, noticed that the faces look "blue" although there IS a lot of soft dupe material around the opticals (as with almost any Technicolor film of that vintage) especially in the first two reels with some odd color shifts.  The opening shot, in fact, is one of them.  When the picture "snaps" into place it almost takes your breath away.

All of the disparate colors during "Mandy" (those sparkly red gloves!) pop so much you never quite know where to look!  I find it a wholly satisfying treat each and every time.

#24 of 27 OFFLINE   DP 70

DP 70

Supporting Actor

• 510 posts

Posted August 13 2014 - 05:40 AM

I saw a DCP 2K screening of this and I was not impressed.

#25 of 27 OFFLINE   rsmithjr

rsmithjr

Supporting Actor

• 916 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, CA

Posted August 13 2014 - 03:01 PM

One of my favorite demo Blu-ray's, totally sells you on VistaVision and dye-transfer Technicolor.

The Paramount color schemes used in the 1950's were quite remarkable in the original prints.  This one captures it perfectly.

#26 of 27 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,601 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted August 13 2014 - 03:16 PM

POPULAR

One of my favorite demo Blu-ray's, totally sells you on VistaVision and dye-transfer Technicolor.

The Paramount color schemes used in the 1950's were quite remarkable in the original prints.  This one captures it perfectly.

Exactly what I said and exactly correct.  There is no "blue" push and unless the lighting in the scene has some blue gel, there are no blue faces.  

#27 of 27 OFFLINE   siuling337

siuling337

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted August 20 2014 - 01:06 AM

It's nice! Thanks for the information~ :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users