DEG ANNOUNCES SURGE IN BLU-RAY 3D RELEASES
FOR HOLIDAY SEASON
Nearly 40 Titles Announced Through 2010
LOS ANGELES (November 1, 2010) – Hollywood-based trade association DEG: The Digital Entertainment Group, which represents the home entertainment industry, including studios, consumer electronics manufacturers, IT companies, and music labels, announced today an abundance of Blu-ray 3D titles arriving at retail for the holiday selling season, including 10 debuting on Blu-ray 3D Day: November 16, just in time for Black Friday.
To complement the wide range of 3D televisions and Blu-ray 3D players, the DEG announced 36 titles that will be available through the end of the year. There will also be dozens more Blu-ray 3D titles coming in 2011. The releases include titles from AIX Records, DreamWorks Animation, Giant Screen Films,Image Entertainment, IMAX Corporation, Lionsgate, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, Universal Studios Home Entertainment, Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment and Warner Home Video.
The Blu-ray 3D home entertainment experience is aided by the promotion of these titles in cooperation with leading consumer electronics manufacturers. The Blu-ray 3D home entertainment experience is also supported through nationwide promotions by retail outlets including Amazon.com, Best Buy, Fry’s Electronics, HHGregg, Kmart, Radio Shack, Sears, Sixth Avenue Electronics, Target and Walmart, among others.
The surge of Blu-ray 3D titles and 3D broadcast channels along with an estimated 25 upcoming 3D video games represents more than 1,000 hours of 3D broadcast programming over the next 12 months.
3D-capable TVs, combined with Blu-ray 3D players, bring the 3D theatrical experience home, providing consumers with the best way to watch full HD 3D at home. According to the Blu-ray Disc Association, Blu-ray 3D players currently account for nearly 25 percent of sales of all standalone Blu-ray Disc players in the U.S.
“We are excited to see so much industry support for bringing Blu-ray 3D home,” said Ron Sanders, President, Warner Home Video and President, DEG: The Digital Entertainment Group. “And now, consumers buying 3D home entertainment systems over Black Friday weekend will have ample 3D programming to accompany them.”
Below is a list of Blu-ray 3D titles announced through the end of the year:
- Alice in Wonderland(Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment)
- Despicable Me (Universal Studios Home Entertainment)
- Clash of the Titans(Warner Home Video)
- The Polar Express(Warner Home Video)
- Disney’s A Christmas Carol(Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment)
- Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs(Sony Pictures Home Entertainment)
- Open Season(Sony Pictures Home Entertainment)
- IMAX: Space Station(Warner Home Video)
- Monster House(Sony Pictures Home Entertainment)
- Resident Evil: Afterlife (Sony Pictures Home Entertainment)
- IMAX: Deep Sea(Warner Home Video)
- Cats and Dogs 2(Warner Home Video)
- Step Up 3D (Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment)
- IMAX: Under the Sea(Warner Home Video)
- Piranha 3D (Sony Pictures Home Entertainment)
- AIX Records 3D Music Album Demo & Calibration Disc(AIX Records)
- Goldberg Variations Acoustica(AIX Records)
- IMAX: Dinosaurs Alive! (Image Entertainment)
- IMAX: Grand Canyon Adventure: River at Risk (Image Entertainment)
- IMAX: Into the Deep 3D (IMAX) Samsung Exclusive
- IMAX: Wild Ocean (Image Entertainment)
- Mozart(AIX Records)
- Mummies 3D: Secrets of the Pharaohs(Giant Screen Films)
- The Official 2010 FIFA World Cup Film(Sony Pictures Home Entertainment)
- Avatar (Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment) Panasonic Exclusive
- Shrek The Whole Story (DreamWorks Animation) Samsung Exclusive
- Shrek 2
- Shrek the Third
- Shrek Forever After
- Alice in Wonderland (Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment) Sony Electronics Exclusive*
- How to Train Your Dragon 3D(DreamWorks Animation) Samsung Exclusive
- Monsters v. Aliens(DreamWorks Animation) Samsung Exclusive
- Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs(Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment) Panasonic Exclusive
- Bolt (Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment)Sony Electronics Exclusive
- Coraline(Universal Studios Home Entertainment) Panasonic Exclusive
- My Bloody Valentine3D (2009) (Lionsgate) Best Buy Exclusive
- IMAX: Galapagos 3D (IMAX)Samsung Exclusive
DEG: The Digital Entertainment Group is a Los Angeles-based, industry-funded nonprofit corporation that advocates and promotes the many consumer benefits associated with various home entertainment products, including both physical and digital media on a variety of platforms. The DEG helps provide information and perspective about the home entertainment industry. The DEG also offers a forum for member companies to engage in ongoing discussions concerning various opportunities related to promoting established categories, evaluating and discussing new entertainment platforms and investigating supply chain efficiencies.