What's new

Do you believe in life on other planets? (1 Viewer)

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
When I say "life" I mean something that would at least be on the level of our animal life.

Please don't let this get politcal and end getting the thread closed. This is simply a question for your opinion.

Do I believe in life on other planets? Absolutely.

Never have I understood why seemingly so many people think the idea of life on other worlds is somehow "crazy".

Let her rip.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I do as well. I like the arguement in Contact. Although I know I've heard that argument other places, Contact is just the easiest place to mention it from.

Anybody know where the, if just one in a million statement repeated 6 times, there would still be millions of worlds with life out there argument originated?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Very difficult to say. We don't even know for sure how many planets there possibly are (outside our solar system).
And we don't know the chance of life to develop on a planet. What circumstances does there have to be? And further more: if you just wink it's gone again. Think of the massive amount of time no intelligent life existed on earth at all (say "we" are here for less than 6 million years, out of a total of about 50 billion).
So even if it's there, we may very easily "miss" it on the timeline.
One thing is for sure: the chance to ever physically meet it are for all practical purposes 0, zilch.
Cees

Darren Davis

Stunt Coordinator
there has to be. The only thing holding us back is our current state of technology. Sure, it's made leaps and bounds in the past 100 years but for interplanetary travel it'll have to advance much further. They project the universe has been around for about 13 billion years. I think that's plenty of time for life to form on other planets and advance to a level high enough to even visit us. I'm not a UFO freak or anything but there has to be lifeforms out there more advanced than us. You know what would be awesome? If we found a planet with some sort of life in a VERY early stage and just sat back and studied and monitered it for thousands of years to see life evolve. Might help answer some questions about our own origins.

Kurt B

Stunt Coordinator
I've believed there is life on other planets out there somewhere, still do. What kind of life form is another matter.
Will Humans ever travel to the stars as depicted in scifi? I'm not sure, but I think we will find a means, we are, after all, a curious bunch and inventive :)
~Kurt

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
There HAS to be. To think in the terms that human existance (and all other species, for that matter) came about from pure chance, that it took incredible, never-to-be-repeated circumstances to create us...well, that just makes me shudder. 1-I don't believe that's what happened. 2-If that is what happened...I feel so alone. Cees is right (even if he added an extra zero to the billions of years Earth has been here ;) ). Our planet had existed for over 4.9999 billion years before we showed up. What species rose from the soil, died out and its remains were lost? How many times over did that occur? Those are speculations for sure, but ones that are within reason. I think it is unreasonable to think there is no other life in the universe.
Bruce

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Absolutly. I mean it's not so hard to believe is it? Afterall, we're here aren't we? Who's to say that their definatly isn't life on some other planets other than this one.
I wonder what other lifeforms think about us. Do they admire us for what we've accomplished, or as Sally said on 'Third Rock from the Sun', do they consider our planet to be "in a bad neighborhood."?

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Do you believe in life on other planets?
Yes, and to think differently (i.e. that humans are the only life in this entire universe) is untrue.

Typical human superiority complex is to believe that WE are the center of the universe. That there is a god that created us in his image therefore he looks like a human. And that this human created the unviverse. Resulting in humans being the all knowing, all creating universe. There is life elsewhere. They do not look like humans. We are not the center of the universe. We are not alone.

So, if you think about it, most humans think this. We even think that we can destroy our own planet!! How could we, us fraile little humans, destroy an entire planet?? Again this all correlates to the idea of humans being superior and that idea is injected into most of what we believe, see, do, and understand.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I do not believe in anything.
However, looking at what we know about the nature of the universe, it seems probable that other planets would have developed "life" of some sort, as we have here.
This would not necessarily mean that such "life" is similar to ours in any way. In fact, it would not even necessarily mean that we would be able to perceive said "life" with our senses even if they were literally right before our eyes.

Liam S

Stunt Coordinator
Definitely. Just in the last few years we have discovered 70 planets outside of our solar system. And those are only the huge Jupiter-like ones that we are able to detect because of their star's wobble. If there are smaller planets, we can't detect them yet. So anyway, these planets we've discovered are from stars fairly close to us (around 100 light years away), and there are billions of other stars in the Milky Way. And then there are millions of other galaxies each with billions of stars. So I'd say that there's a pretty good chance that there's an Earth-like planet (or moon) out there with life. But we're dealing with astronomical distances and a speed limit, so like Cees said, it's very improbable that we could ever meet life outside our solar system.

But then life inside our solar system could still be found. One of Jupiter's moons, Europa, is believed to have liquid water under the ice surface. And seeing as how we've found life in almost every possible place on Earth (in deserts, the bottom of the ocean, and even in nuclear reactors), if there's liquid water on Europa there's a good chance that life could have formed there.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe: Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost, in time, like tears, in rain.
Yes, I believe.

And while wer'e on the subject. Is the universe infinite ? If so, how can that be ? If not, where does it end and how does it end, and what's on the other side ?

Ok, now my head hurts, back to the salt mines.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Ive always looked at it this way.Here is a VERY simple way of looking at it:

Our sun is a star which sustains life on this planet.

There are millions of other stars out there.

Isnt it resonable that some of the suns(stars) out there give life to other planets just as ours does to us.

Yes I believe in other life in the universe besides us.

I think its kind of arrogant to think that only this tiny little planet has life in something that continues and goes on for infinity.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
I do not believe in anything.
No offense, but I hate it when I hear this. Whether we want to admit it or not, whether we even believe it or not, everyone believes in something. For the person who claims to believe in nothing, that one believes w/ all steadfast of conviction in his non-belief of anything.
Personally, I don't believe that life exists on other planets. I feel that the earth is a special and unique place like no other in all the universe known and unknown, and that the life contained on it is just as precious and unique........Hey, you asked.;)

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Isnt it resonable that some of the suns(stars) out there give life to other planets just as ours does to us.
Yes! It is reasonable to assume this. But more than just the Sun is needed to sustain life on the level of man and animals here on earth, or anywhere else.

Julie K

Screenwriter
I think it's completely unreasonable to think there isn't life somewhere else in the universe. It's a big place and I certainly don't believe we are unique. Stars like ours aren't unique, and more and more planets are being discovered (odd ones still, since that's what the detection schemes can detect).

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Before people start flaming me to a burnt crisp, and brandishing me as "unreasonable" as Julie K did, please keep 2 things in mind: 1) Just like the rest of you, I too am entitled my own flame-free opinion. 2) There is no proof whatsoever anywhere that life on the level of humans does exist. Sure the universe is a big place and it only stands to reason that there must be other life out there somewhere.... But anyone who wants to flame me for my opinion, please present your proof. Have you seen the life on other planets? Has it contacted us? Have we contacted them?

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
believe said:
Do you believe in god? If so, please present your proof. (I'm just making a point...don't want to discuss religion...it's a rhetorical question.)
For that matter, please present your proof that I do believe in something, as you claimed earlier that I must. :)

DanaA

Screenwriter
I'd find it hard to believe we were all alone in this universe. The only question for me is when contact will be made.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks