• Please log in to reply
674 replies to this topic

#661 of 675 OFFLINE   SWFF

SWFF

Screenwriter

• 1,851 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted September 15 2012 - 03:16 AM

Cliff said they did acquire some non-genre flicks from MGM for release. For those of us who need their genre fix, Shout revealed two acquisitions for 2013: TERRORVISION (1986) and THE NEST (1988).

#662 of 675 OFFLINE   Nebiroth

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor

• 743 posts

Posted September 15 2012 - 03:29 AM

I've just received a bunch of MGM MOD's (from the Amazon sale - yes, it took that long, as I'm not in the USA!). Boy, they really are cheap and tatty looking, aren't they? The covers for a start - they look like something knocked up in ten minutes by a Photoshop amateur; basically, a couple of screen caps and the MGM logo pasted on, the rear has an (often ill chosen) second screen cap with a block of text, unfortunately in what looks like Arial (usually a poor choice of font) And someone tell them that I've got a title calling itself ZONE TROPPERS on it's spine. Sure, yes, the important bit is the content, but these releases look terribly cheap and pennypinching - then you see they are RRP $20!

#663 of 675 OFFLINE   billO'

billO'

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted November 16 2012 - 03:53 AM

So i take it by the inactivity on this thread the MGM's are indeed kaput? I did a search on Amazon by release date and the "newest" titles that turned up for these were released in April and May of this year, so...my next question is: What's the word on the street why MGM discontinued these? A few people have posted here claiming MGM might resume pressed disc releases, but obviously that wasn't planned for 2012. Could it be sales were poor and the program didn't take off as expected, the template being the Warner MODs? If they were pulled due to disappointing sales, I think MGM should accept a lot of the blame, primarily due to these almost NEVER being put on sale. Even when they cozied up to Warner's and placed these for sale on that website, the MGM's are always excluded from the good discount promotions the WA frequently has. When you know one company will offer their titles at $10 to $12 semi-often, why stock up on over-priced (in comparison) dvd-r's that run $15 to $20 each? My next question is: since these are "made-on-demand" disc, which i take to mean they occupy no shelf space and are only created and shipped to a customer when that person orders and pays for them--if this program is discontinued are they gonna still employ people who are needed to actually burn the discs and ship them out? For how long? Will these join the ranks of collectible out-of-print discs, too, which seems like an oxymoron because I thought one of the reasons for the MOD service was to ensure that a title would never go out of print. Would be kind of ironic if these became as collectible as pressed discs! Finally if this program has been discontinued, then I wonder about the viability and continued life of the Columbia Classic line, and most especially the Universal Vault Series, because those are the most exclusive and never-discounted titles of all! If poor promotion and scant sales is what did in the MGMs, I would think these two other late-to-the-party programs must be barely hanging on by the skin of their teeth.

#664 of 675 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,655 posts

Posted November 16 2012 - 06:11 AM

I'm pretty sure it was an agreement with co-distributor 20th Century Fox which began its MOD line at the same time the MGM line ended. I expect the MGM line to resume again sometime in the future, perhaps next year or 2014. Remember, Fox was the company announcing these titles in press releases in the past.

#665 of 675 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,655 posts

Posted November 17 2012 - 08:09 AM

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread

#666 of 675 OFFLINE   SWFF

SWFF

Screenwriter

• 1,851 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted October 01 2014 - 09:47 AM

MGM's MOD program is back in business. Got a newsletter from Allied Vaughn with this in it: 

After a hiatus, the vaults of MGM have reopened and with it, new waves of great classic collectable films. Here's just a handful of new titles streeting for the holiday season!

A Dry White Season 1989  South Africa, 1976. The police ruled Gordon Ngubene's death a suicide. But when Afrikaans school teacher Ben du Toit (Donald Sutherland, Don't Look Now) saw the body, he knew his friend of 15 years was the victim of police torture. Seeking justice, Ben hires barrister Ian McKenzie to represent the Ngubene family at the inquest, but the judge ignores the evidence and exonerates the police. Refusing to "give it up," Ben risks his family and career as he takes on a system run by racists, thugs and murderers. For if you're not with the Afrikaners, you're against them. And choosing the wrong side could get you killed.    Donald Sutherland, Susan Surandon, Marlon Brando, Janet Suzman, Jurgen Prochnow, Zakes Mokae

They Call Me Mr. Tibbs    1970    "When a prostitute is murdered in San Francisco's ritzy Nob Hill district, an anonymous tip implicates minister and political crusader Reverend Logan Sharpe (Martin Landau). Lt. Virgil Tibbs (Sidney Poitier), who has known Sharpe for many years, asks to be assigned to the case in hopes of clearing his friend's name. So begins the detective's journey through a twisted maze of baffling evidence, frantic chases, deadly gunfire and bad alibis. Before long, Tibbs finds himself bitterly torn between his duty as a cop...and his loyalty to a friend. Sidney Poitier, Martin Landau, Barbara McNair, Anthony Zerbe, Edward Asner

The Belly Of An Architect 1987 American architect Stourley Kracklite (Brian Dennehy) can't see the beauty in Rome through his pain. Intense stomachaches are crippling him and, worse, he believes his pregnant young wife is having an affair with his archrival! As his suspicions turn to paranoia and obsession, and his marriage, health and reputation begin to unravel, this once-respected man becomes consumed by his own self-torture from the inside out!    Brian Dennehy, Chloe Webb, Peter Greenaway, Lambert Wilson

Mission Of The Shark: The Saga Of The U.S.S. Indianapolis  1991 The tragedy that occurred on the U.S.S. Indianapolis is the worst at-sea loss of life in the history of the U.S. Navy...and a horrifying indictment of covert motives, corruption and scandal. Captain Charles Butler McVay (Stacy Keach) survives the ordeal and becomes a scapegoat as he is court-martialed in a highly controversial U.S. military cover-up.    Stacy Keach, Richard Thomas, Steve Landesberg, David Caruso

The Hoodlum Priest 1961 Reverend Charles Dismas Clark (Don Murray) is a man of the cloth who fi ghts a neverending battle to give ex-convicts a chance for a better life. His efforts are jeopardized, however, when a young parolee becomes caught in a tragic, horrifying confl ict. As the wheels of justice turn, Clark's ideals are put to the ultimate test - and a young man's very life hangs in the balance. Don Murray, Keir Dullea, Larry Gates, Cindi Wood

I Could Go On Singing 1963 When celebrated singer Jenny Bowman (Judy Garland) asks her ex-lover David (Dirk Bogarde) to let her see their son, Matt, she is unprepared for the emotional consequences. Though Matt doesn't even know Jenny is his mother, their growing bond will force Jenny to make the most difficult choice of her life: between the rewards of motherhood and the glamorous life of the stage. Judy Garland, Dirk Bogarde, Jack Klugman

Body And Soul 1981 Golden Gloves champ Leon (Leon Isaac Kennedy) has no interest in becoming a pro boxer; instead, he wants to be a doctor. But when his little sister requires immediate and expensive medical treatments, he decides to go for the title and all the money it will bring. On his way to the top, however, Leon succumbs to the temptations that come with success: money, flesh, ego. As a result, he begins to lose everyone and everything he used to care about. Can Leon pull his life back together, or is he too far gone to be redeemed? Leon Isaac Kennedy, Jayne Kennedy, Perry Lang, Nikki Swasey Seaton, Michael V. Gazzo

Salaam Bombay 1988 Forced to leave his family at a very young age, Krishna lives on the streets with pimps,prostitutes, drug addicts and other homeless children. He earns very little money - but it's more than most - delivering tea so he can return home to his family. But his honest plan is foiled when his hard-earned money is stolen by his closest friend, forcing Krishna to follow in the footsteps of so many street children of Bombay...by turning to a life of crime. Shafiq Syed, Hansa Vithal, Chanda Sharma, Raghuvir Yadav, Anita Kanwar

Winners Take All 1986 Friends since childhood, motocrossers Rick Melon and "Bad" Billy Robinson clash, when Billy walks off with a corporate sponsor, a personal manager...and Rick's girlfriend. On the course, Rick displays lightning-quick reflexes and steely courage, but he is never first at the finish line. Then he meets Judy, a skilled rider who coaches him for the ultimate showdown with Billy!    Don Michael Paul, Kathleen York, Robert Krantz, Deborah Richter

Wild Orchid 2: Blue Movie Blue 1992 After her father (Skerritt) dies, Blue (Siemaszko) is forced to grow up fast. Taken in by Elle (Hughes), a high-class brothel madam, she discovers a beguiling world of power and pleasure - but also the tightening grip of Elle's control. To make matters worse, she is falling for Josh (Brent Fraser), a regular guy who doesn't know about her double life. Now, if she tells the truth, will she lose him forever?    Wendy Hughes, Tom Skerritt, Robert Davi, Brent Fraser, and Nina Siemaszko

Marlene Dietrich: Her Own Song  2001  Film goddess. Cabaret chanteuse. Tireless soldier. Immortal icon. Marlene Dietrich endures as one of the most seductive and glamorous personalities in cinematic history. But who was she really? In this fascinating, "revealing glimpse behind the image" (Los Angeles Times) narrated by Jamie Lee Curtis, director J. David Riva pays tribute to his world-renowned grandmother. On screen, she was a legend. But that was only the beginning. She became the German-born all-American girl, entertaining U.S. troops on the front lines, doing whatever she could for "her boys" on the battlefield. Rare, never-before-seen footage and candid interviews are featured in this stirring portrait that will have you falling in love again...with Marlene!   Burt Bacharach, André G. Brunelin, Rosemary Clooney, Buck Dawson, , Alfred Hens, Beate Klarsfeld

That Championship Season 1982 It's been 25 years since the Scranton High School basketball team won the state championship. And every year, four of the victors and their coach (Mitchum) gather to relive the glory of their shining moment. But tonight, the reunion is rife with accusations of betrayal, backstabbing, infidelity and fraud. Can their friendship survive their crimes against each other... or will the dirtiest secret of all destroy what remains of their finest hour?    Bruce Dern, Stacy Keach, Robert Mitchum, Martin Sheen, Paul Sorvino

Just Between Friends 1986 Holly Davis (Mary Tyler Moore) seems to have it all - the stylish house, the perfect kids, the devoted husband (Ted Danson). But it takes an unlikely friendship with Sandy (Christine Lahti), a wisecracking, chain-smoking career woman, to show her that life is never what it seems to be. But in the face of tragedy, when she needs Sandy the most, Holly discovers a dark secret that not only ties the two friends together...but will also shake their friendship to its foundation!    Mary Tyler Moore, Ted Danson, Christine Lahti, Sam Waterston

A Family Thing 1996 Robert Duvall is Earl Pilcher, Jr., an Arkansas man who is about to discover the surprise of his life: the family he never knew he had. When he learns that he has an African-American half-brother living in Chicago, Earl heads north on a journey that will take him closer to home than he ever could have imagined. It won't be easy, though, since his brother (James Earl Jones) wants nothing to do with him. But with the help of their remarkable Aunt T (Irma P. Hall) and her simple wisdom, the men work through their long-held grudges and prejudices, gaining a greater understanding of each other...and themselves. Robert Duvall, James Earl Jones, Michael Beach

The Aviator 1985 As a solo pilot for the nation's newly formed airmail service, Edgar Anscombe (Christopher Reeve), a man haunted by a tragic memory, has made a career of keeping to himself over the years. But one day he's unexpectedly assigned an involuntary passenger: the rebellious and outspoken Tillie Hansen (Rosanna Arquette), whose unrelenting impudence drives Edgar crazy! But when their plane is forced to crash-land in a rugged and desolate mountain canyon, the unlikely companions fi nd they have only one source of hope against the excruciating elements, the savage wilderness and a pack of hungry wolves: each other!    Christopher Reeve, Rosanna Arquetter, Jack Warden, Sam Wanamaker, Scott Wilson

Bucktown 1975 Fred Williamson (Black Caesar) proves once again he's the ultimate soul brother - dark, daring and ready for surprises. He and sexy co-star Pam Grier (Jackie Brown) heat up the sheets and the streets in this scintillating soul flick about a city ripped apart by prejudice, greed and plenty of gangsta action. Bucktown explodes like sparks and gasoline - setting small-town America on fire!     Fred Williamson, Pam Grier, Thalmus Rasulala 

Rage Of Honor 1987 When his partner is murdered by sadistic drug dealers, narcotics cop Shiro Tanaka (Kosugi) vows revenge. Disobeying orders, he tracks the killers from Singapore to Buenos Aires. But in a cruel twist, the killers kidnap Tanaka's girlfriend and take her deep into the jungles of South America. Now, armed with an arsenal of deadly weapons, Tanaka must use all his powers to destroy a battalion of highly trained terrorists and get her back. Lewis Van Bergen, Robin Evans, Gerry Gibson, Chip Lucia, Richard Wiley

Ulee's Gold 1997 Third-generation Florida beekeeper Ulee Jackson (Fonda) may have gotten out of Vietnam alive, but he left a part of himself behind. Now he methodically tends his bees, carefully provides for those who need him, and vigilantly keeps his emotions at bay. But when both his family and his livelihood are threatened by a long-buried secret, Ulee must break through his emotional walls, find the strength to change, and begin life anew.  Peter Fonda, Patricia Richardson, Jessica Biel, J. Kenneth Campbell, Christine Dunford, Steven Flynn, Dewey Weber, Tom Wood, Vanessa Zima

Theremin: An Electronic Odyssey 1994 In the 1920s and '30s, Russian émigré Leonard Theremin - the inventor of the world's first electronic musical instrument - had it all. His self-named theremins were in high demand from filmmakers and musicians around the globe; he was married to a beautiful American dancer; he lived among New York's social elite. And then, in 1938, he mysteriously vanished, not to be seen again for over 50 years.  Leon Theremin, Robert Moog, Clara Rockmore, Nicolas Slonimsky, Paul Shure

Pop & Me 1999 For six months, a retired Wall Street banker (Richard) and his filmmaker son (Chris) travel the world collecting candid and touching stories from fathers and sons. Their journey pieces together a rich tapestry of tales as varied as the men they interview, and one, from Julian Lennon, includes a shocking revelation about his famous pop music father. But these fathers and sons serve as a heartwarming backdrop to the personal drama that unfolds between Richard and Chris, whose own relationship is put to the test.    Julian Lennon, Chris Roe, Richard Roe

• Jobla and ahollis like this

#667 of 675 OFFLINE   borisfw

borisfw

Supporting Actor

• 841 posts

Posted October 01 2014 - 10:05 AM

I'm glad they are starting up their program again . Most of the films on the list , at least the ones I've seen , have already been out on DVD for a bit . I hope they are going to go back into their catalog and put out some titles that haven't already been put out on DVD .

#668 of 675 OFFLINE   SWFF

SWFF

Screenwriter

• 1,851 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted October 01 2014 - 10:12 AM

THE RIFT (aka THE DECENT) and THE FALLING (aka ALIEN PREDATORS) I wouldn't mind seeing, and have never gotten any kind of DVD release. 

• David Steigman likes this

#669 of 675 OFFLINE   Camps

Camps

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts

Posted October 01 2014 - 01:10 PM

Fantastic news!  Nothing in this latest batch for me but I'm glad they're back in action.

I posted on the Warner Archive thread that I hope WAC can release the MGM-distributed rarity The Jerusalem File (1972).  I'm still confused as to which MGM titles (or eras) are in the Warner home vid library as opposed to the MGM/UA library -- but I'm hoping between the two of them they have this.... and many more...

#670 of 675 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,655 posts

Posted October 01 2014 - 09:05 PM

Are any of these new to DVD?  All of them seem to be reissues of prior available DVDs.

#671 of 675 OFFLINE   John Kilduff

John Kilduff

Screenwriter

• 1,662 posts

Posted October 02 2014 - 10:07 AM

Most of the newly announced MGM MOD titles had trailers in their original DVD incarnations. Will they still be included on the MOD discs, or will they stripped of trailers, as is often done by Warner and Sony when they re-release former retail titles in MOD format?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

As nice as the MOD programs are, I don't like it when they strip titles of the extras they had. Even if it was only a trailer, it was something unique.

Forget the Rewind. If you want real retro action, go to http://www.retrojunk.com.

Proud member of the American Film Institute and a Wal-Mart employee (Yes, you can be both).

From Michelle Pfeiffer to Daryl Hannah and all points in-between, I love 80s women. Don't believe me? Scope out this link: htt.....

#672 of 675 OFFLINE   Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 862 posts

Posted October 02 2014 - 12:51 PM

or when the remove subtitles from previous versions that had them

#673 of 675 OFFLINE   Jobla

Jobla

Supporting Actor

• 570 posts

Posted October 02 2014 - 03:18 PM

I do hope that they get around to some never-on-DVD titles. In the meantime, THEREMIN interests me. Seems to me that the old DVD deleted the Theremin segment from The Mickey Mouse Club, probably due to legal reasons. Perhaps that segment might be restored to the MOD?

#674 of 675 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,528 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted October 07 2014 - 12:41 PM

or when the remove subtitles from previous versions that had them

Hi Mike, just a friendly notice that you have a new PM. :)

#675 of 675 OFFLINE   Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter

• 1,062 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted October 10 2014 - 10:02 AM

Will I COULD GO ON SINGING (1963) finally get an anamorphic transfer? This is one of Judy's best films, as well as her very last, and deserves much better treatment than it got for its DVD debut. A crime that it'll never be judged worthy of an HD transfer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users