Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

LOL Patton Bluray 29 in "CNET's Top 40 must-have Blu-ray discs"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   Peter Rohlfs

Peter Rohlfs

Stunt Coordinator

• 231 posts

Posted November 01 2010 - 11:40 AM

Posted Image

No mention of the DNR issues:

http://reviews.cnet....&tag=mncol;thum

Peter

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Screenwriter

• 2,417 posts

Posted November 02 2010 - 07:19 PM

They have Wizard Of Oz at # 40 !!   That was an amazing blu ray, they should be ashamed of themselves for not having in in the top 10.

At last my body is reunited with my soul which was always feminine.

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted November 06 2010 - 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Xenia Stathakopoulou 

They have Wizard Of Oz at # 40 !!   That was an amazing blu ray, they should be ashamed of themselves for not having in in the top 10.

Well it isn't presented in widescreen after all. Posted Image

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted November 06 2010 - 01:54 PM

Well there doesn't seem to be any reasoning behind the list at all, just titles they like.

"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,075 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted November 08 2010 - 09:29 AM

Most of the titles have excellent transfers, but including 2001 when it is derived from a 35mm reduction is somewhat questionable.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   Robert George

Robert George

Screenwriter

• 1,014 posts

Posted November 08 2010 - 09:33 AM

For most people, the movie is the most important thing.  The presentation is secondary.

I suspect their list is based on that.

Don't forget, some people watch Blu-rays because they have actual movies on them.

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

Producer

• 3,297 posts

Posted November 08 2010 - 09:46 AM

Blu-ray is all ABOUT the presentation. The whole point of the list is that owning these particular films is worthwhile because the high definition treatment makes them worth buying on THIS format. They clearly didn't put much effort into it.

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   SergeiShadow

SergeiShadow

Agent

• 25 posts

Posted November 08 2010 - 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by dpippel 

Blu-ray is all ABOUT the presentation. The whole point of the list is that owning these particular films is worthwhile because the high definition treatment makes them worth buying on THIS format. They clearly didn't put much effort into it.

Except Patton is heavy offender of overusage of Digital Noise Reduction.

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

Producer

• 3,297 posts

Posted November 08 2010 - 09:52 AM

^ That was my point.

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   Robert George

Robert George

Screenwriter

• 1,014 posts

Posted November 08 2010 - 10:18 AM

Well then, clearly there is disagreement about what "high definition" means to different people (pun intended).  To the specific title mentioned, the vast majority of people will look at the Blu-ray disc of Patton and consider it to be very certainly high definition and the best that film has ever looked on home video.  That puts it on most people's "top 40" or whatever list.  Don't blame CNet if they don't have the same intolerance for the degraining of film on video as a handful of Internet denizens do.

Again, my point was that many fans of the Blu-ray format are first and foremost fans of movies, not pixel peepers.

And just for the record, if it were MY list, yes, the Blu-ray of Patton would be on it, if only for George Scott's performance.

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

Producer

• 3,297 posts

Posted November 08 2010 - 10:25 AM

I should have known better than to dip my toe in this pool.

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,429 posts

Posted November 08 2010 - 12:45 PM

I would guess they are referring to the film "title" "Patton" and not the transfer, though kept in mind "Patton" receieved many great reviews when first released only to have everyone second guess the reviews later on

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   Robert George

Robert George

Screenwriter

• 1,014 posts

Posted November 08 2010 - 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by GMpasqua 

...though kept in mind "Patton" receieved many great reviews when first released only to have everyone second guess the reviews later on

It's true, most people don't like to be called an idiot in public.  They will do or say what they think they have to to fit in, even when they know better.