What's new

Want your advice on my setup (living room pics included) (1 Viewer)

I posted this on Audioholics with nothing. Maybe they're all too busy.....

I have a Pioneer VSX-23TXH, Paradigm ADP190s and a CC290 on the way. Plan on adding a sub and Paradigm Monitor 9s. The sub will go behind the door in the attic space with the CC290 replacing the old crappy Bose speaker and the Monitors replacing the Cerwins. I took quite a few pics and marked them so you can get a really good idea of what I am dealing with. The ADP190s are slated to go behind the couch, with the idea of the other marks closer to the TV and on the side wall either being additional ADP190 or 390. Please let me know what you think and what changes you would make. It's not the best setup for sure, but I think I can make it a fun place to watch a movie. I wish that damn door weren't there. Also, still not sure on which sub would best compliment the setup I have listed. Any advice is much appreciated.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The sub will go behind the door in the attic space
And you are going to open the door every time you use your system?

I like the pictures but a floor plan also helps put things into perspective.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
The door or walls could break up the waves and muffle the sub. You would be better off with it in the corner or behind the couch. So are you looking at putting 2pr of surrounds on the side wall?

I think I'm gonna go with 1 pair or surrounds and possibly a single rear surround on the back wall. As for the sub being behind the door, still haven't decided yet, but if I do put it there, my receiver has a listening mode that will adjust it accordingly.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Originally Posted by Eric Burnett

I think I'm gonna go with 1 pair or surrounds and possibly a single rear surround on the back wall. As for the sub being behind the door, still haven't decided yet, but if I do put it there, my receiver has a listening mode that will adjust it accordingly.

Eric,

Low frequency waves are rather long (that's why they are low sounds). So, putting it inside another cabinet (it's already in a cabinet of its own), will destroy those waves enough to make it impossible for your receiver to restore that. The receiver may dial the sound up, that's what it can do - even to the point where your sub might get in actual physical danger.

You really need to get those sound-waves into your room without a severe hindrance.

Think of your sub's woofer as an air pump.

Cees

Thanks, Cees. I didn't think it would matter since I've seen subs that actually fit in between your studs and behind the drywall.

What about my idea to go 6.1?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Eric Burnett

Thanks, Cees. I didn't think it would matter since I've seen subs that actually fit in between your studs and behind the drywall.

I've seen subs that fit between the studs but none that are behind the drywall. If you have an example, please post a link.

If you still want to use the attic space and don't want to take up any floor space, an infinite baffle sub is a great option. This will get you started http://ibsubwoofer.blogspot.com/ but there is a lot of information available.

If you are going with a 6.1 configuration, you need to make sure your receiver will support it. My Pioneer will do 5.1 or 7.1 but not 6.1.

My receiver does. You'll have to search for the sub. It was linked from Audioholics. It had 14 speakers, 7 on each side facing each other, 4.5" IIRC. It was around 6 grand.

t1mberwolf

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim
For your speaker setup try dolby.com they have a great setup wizard. They don't have 6.1 setup but go with the 7.1 and just move the single to the middle rear position. I have basically the same speakers and reciever as you they sound awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks