Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Auction Kings

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,901 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted October 27 2010 - 10:28 AM

New show on Discovery.  Kind of a complete copy of Pawn Stars--client brings in item, a closeup is shown with some historical facts, an expert is called in, and a commercial wrapper deals with facts about the shop ("What item was worth the most?")--but the actual auction footage at the end brings a new twist.  Instead of wondering what the item ultimately sold for, we see it for ourselves.  I have to imagine this opens up some new avenues for amateur sellers.  Instead of hearing Rick say, "It'll bring in more at auction, but the house takes its cut," the seller knows that these guys get a mere 20%.

I don't yet have the rapport for the cast as I did instantly for the Pawn Stars guys, but they seem like alright folks.  And, of course, Pawn Stars is itself merely a street-level Antiques Roadshow.  Posted Image  After watching the first two eps, I'm setting up a series recording.  Tuesdays, 9:00 and 9:30 Central, Discovery/Discovery HD.

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,917 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted October 27 2010 - 10:35 AM

Hmm thanks for the heads up.  I enjoy Pawn Stars so I'll have to check it out.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,901 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted October 27 2010 - 06:36 PM

Cool.  I hope you enjoy it.  It follows my rule that the better Discovery-style reality shows are generally those that don't have a narrator.