-

Photo
- - - - -

center channel location, custom built in, ideas.....thoughts.....help......

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Sandor

Sandor

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted October 27 2010 - 05:14 AM

I am unfortunately giving up my floor standing speakers and moving my tv viewing to a more cozy room.  I used to have a dedicated TV room, but think Ill spend more time in the family room in my new house.  Giving up my Mirage FRX series setup to probably go with B&W bookshelves.  Was using a Pioneer Elite from years ago, considering stepping up to seperate amp/processor.  Anyway.....I am really not sure what to do about my center channel location.  Doesnt seem like I have much room below the TV.  Going to do a 50" plasma above fireplace.  Am I going to hate that idea....I know its not optimal ear level, but will I still get good performance if I have it facing me at the couch?

Currently My fireplace looks like this the top pic, but will eventually look like the below picture.  I have taken off the mantel, and lowered the bring about 4 sections so the TV will sit a tad lower now.  Any ideas of thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

#2 of 6 Martino

Martino

Supporting Actor

• 616 posts
  • LocationSanta Clara, CA

Posted October 27 2010 - 08:13 AM

My neck can't handle looking up all of the time, so I scraped the above the fireplace location.  I have a similar room setup, and decided to  rotate the system so the TV is not above the fireplace.  My TV is against the wall on a stand that also holds my equipment and center channel instead.  In your picture above, my TV would be on the left.  That way, I could put the TV at a better viewing angle, and the speakers at closer to the optimum ear level.  I also placed better light stopping curtains on the window, so it would not reflect off of the screen.  I ran the rear speaker cables under the house and into a connection boxs that show up on the wall on the right hand side.  The rear speakers are on stands behind the couch.

#3 of 6 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,742 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted October 30 2010 - 07:57 AM

TVs above the fireplace seem like a good idea until they are actually there.  Between heat and neck aches its not worth it.

#4 of 6 t1mberwolf

t1mberwolf

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted November 02 2010 - 09:48 AM

Have to agree, loved the look of mine above the fireplace but sore neck had to take it down. Unless you can get your seeting back far enough i wouldn't suggest going above the fireplace.

#5 of 6 CB750

CB750

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted November 04 2010 - 07:49 AM

I have an arrangement similar to picture 1.   I mounted my 52" LCD so that the bottom of the screen is about 1/2" above the frame of my fire place screen.  That puts the bottom of the screen about 2" above what most 28" TV are.   Since I don't use my fireplace this arrangement works great for me as it gives me the best location for viewing and front front stage speaker placement.

#6 of 6 Sandor

Sandor

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted November 04 2010 - 07:56 AM

cb750....

how far from the floor to the bottom of the tv screen are ya, can you shoot me a measurment?  are you ok with the viewing angle, is your neck killing ya????