Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Seems to be official: James Cameron will direct AVATAR 2 and 3 for Fox

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,151 posts

Posted October 27 2010 - 02:18 AM

Here is the article.

I seem to be a little torn with this news.

I have the greatest admiration for James Cameron.

He is certainly one of my favorite directors (if not my favorite).

He has proven that anything he touches turns into

Box-Office gold.

Was AVATAR a great movie?  Not in my opinion.
I believe that most of the hype and success surrounding

the film was due to it being in 3D (and very good 3D at that).

In my opinion Cameron should have let someone else

write that movie.  It's also very much a premise we have

seen before (Dances with Wolves and Pocahontas come
to immediate mind).

I do believe that by the time these new films arrive the

astonishment of 3D will have diminished considerably.

For that reason, the film will have to succeed on originality

and other elements that draw us into the story other than

the 3D.

I wish Cameron the best with these films.  If anyone
can pull them off a second and third time it is he.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Jose Martinez

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,113 posts

Posted October 27 2010 - 03:24 AM

Woo Hoo!  I'll be first in line come 2014 and 2015.  As much as I am looking forward to Tron Legacy, I think Cameron is the only one who can truly deliver a 3D experience on the big screen.
Live Free or DIE!!!!!

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   TerryRL

TerryRL

Producer

• 3,977 posts

Posted October 27 2010 - 06:05 AM

Given that Peter Jackson is said to have gotten WB to pony up a budget of $670 million for his two upcoming 'Hobbit' movies.  I can only imagine how much coin Fox has committed for 'Avatar' 2 & 3, especially since Cameron will no doubt want to deliver something even more audacious than the previous movie.
"Quite an experience to live in fear isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave."

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,226 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted October 27 2010 - 06:58 AM

What, Smellovision? Static-O-Matic?
trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,919 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted October 27 2010 - 07:28 AM

I wouldn't put it past him. 
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Producer

• 3,135 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted October 27 2010 - 08:39 AM

I think there's a big difference between what Cameron can do versus what he will do.  Let's face it - he can do whatever the hell he wants and the studios will pay it.  However, he's already gone on record saying that a sizeable chunk of the first film's budget included the development of the technology used to create the film.

They don't have to reinvent the wheel for the second and third films, so there would be some economies of scale involved (he even said as much in an extensive interview he gave to the XM Cinemagic station last year).

Yes, one can expect the technologies to "evolve" slightly from the first film, but not to the degree that would warrant a budget increase of $100 million or more per film.

Besides, the "novelty" of what made Avatar so special will have worn off by 2014, so even though the sequels will make huge amounts of money, I can't see them matching the cultural pheonomenon that the first one became.

All that being said, IMO, when it comes to Cameron vs. Jackson, Cameron is without a doubt the director to whom I'd rather hand over my $335 million.

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,738 posts

Posted October 27 2010 - 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman [url=/forum/thread/305318/seems-to-be-official-james-cameron-will-direct-avatar-2-and-3-for-fox#post_3744239]

Yeah. All the themes in Avatar were in Battle for Terra first.  I actually think BfT did it better in a lot of respects. BfT was actually bigger in scope because of the themes of genocide and biocide on a planetary scale. One of the things that brought that film down was that the makers copped out with a happy ending.

Edit: In order to be more on topic, I should add that it will be interesting to see if Cameron can actually come with something more original in the next two installments; however, I'd rather see him do something else before tackling the world of Pandora again.

"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users