What's new

Wow! WB to release "Classic TV Christmas Collection" on MOD (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Wow! I just got a great Christmas gift from TVShowsonDVD.com. They are reporting that Warners will be releasing a "Classic TV Christmas Collection" which will include episodes from DR. KILDARE, CHIPS, and EIGHT IS ENOUGH (among others). I'm really stoked about this even though it's coming via the WB Archive.

Gary "now this is great news, folks!" O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I like the idea even though I usually don't like compilations but the Christmas theme works for me. The problem is there are two episodes I really want and two I wouldn't mind having but six I don't really want at all so hard to justify unless its real cheap which I doubt since it should be two discs.

I have no problem with Archive program and good news is that many classic and older shows are probably coming from the archive soon.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I'm going to be interested to see what episode they include as a Christmas episode for THE COURTSHIP OF EDDIE'S FATHER. If they are thinking it's the 2nd season episode entitled "Gifts are for Giving" they might be surprised. I used to think that was a Christmas episode until I got a hold of a copy a few years ago. It's not one, and as best I know there isn't really a Christmas episode from that series. If anyone knows otherwise, I'd honestly like to know because I crossed that show off my list thinking it doesn't have one.

Gary "in spite of that, this looks to be a nice set even though there are a few shows I'm not very interested in either" O.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Looks great. I really enjoy Christmas episodes, this is a neat way to release them.

I'd like to see more Alice and Season 3 of CHiPs !

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Honestly, I wonder why The Courtship Of Eddie's Father has not gotten a DVD release. We're only talking three seasons, so it's not a huge commitment for the studio. Is there a music licensing issue with the Harry Nilsson estate perhaps?

Montytc

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Montavon
I am looking forward to this set, but I am waiting to see the price before I get too excited. On demand stuff has tended to be greatly overpriced so far IMHO.

Trevor824

Grip
Real Name
Trevor
While I like the idea of the set, this doesn't seem like it should be a MOD release. Wouldn't a collection of Christmas episodes be ideal for retail stores? Put it on the impulse buy shelf at Wal Mart and sell tens of thousands of copies.

An MOD release means someone has to want to buy it, go to the Archive site, order it well before Christmas, and wait for it to arrive. They will only have a few weeks of sales before it becomes outdated.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Yes! This is very true. When I read about the news, I thought it was going to be a retail release. I'd love to buy it for the episode of "Mama's Family" alone as it is one of my favorites. But I'll wait and see the price first. They really need to release some classic tv seasons through their Archive like "Mama's Family" and "Alice". Season 1 of "Alice" must be ready as it is available for download only through amazon (I believe) and iTunes (I'm sure of).

Originally Posted by Trevor824

While I like the idea of the set, this doesn't seem like it should be a MOD release. Wouldn't a collection of Christmas episodes be ideal for retail stores? Put it on the impulse buy shelf at Wal Mart and sell tens of thousands of copies.

An MOD release means someone has to want to buy it, go to the Archive site, order it well before Christmas, and wait for it to arrive. They will only have a few weeks of sales before it becomes outdated.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I'll pick it up for the 3 shows I mentioned in my first post: DR. KILDARE, CHIPS, and EIGHT IS ENOUGH. If I thought there was really a COURTSHIP OF EDDIE'S FATHER Christmas episode that would be another reason for me to pick it up (but I'm pretty sure there isn't one - I think someone at Warners needs to verify it one way or the other). Now, the one fly in the anointment would be if this set does not use the first KILDARE Christmas episode and for some reason goes with the second one. If that happens, I'll be on the fence about the purchase because it's that 1st Season episode ("Season to be Jolly") I desperately want. It's in my personal Top 5 of all-time great Christmas episodes so I'll shell out some cash to get a decent, uncut print. The second one from that series is only so-so in my book, so it had better be the first one or my enthusiasm for the set plummets.

Gary "do I take my Christmas-themed TV episodes seriously? - You bet I do" O.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I would really like a release of Courtship of Eddie's Father too. Only 3 seasons. I think it may happen as the archive seems to be ready to release 1/2 hour shows as evidenced by the hanna-barberra releases. I guess they are not ready for hour long shows till they can find a dual-layered DVD they can burn on.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Korstick

I guess they are not ready for hour long shows till they can find a dual-layered DVD they can burn on.

That's been my contention from day one, Randy. As soon as the WB Archive program started up people here on the TV board were clamoring for 77 SUNSET STRIP, HAWAIIAN EYE, and a bunch of other hour long Warner shows from the 50's and 60's. And I knew there was no way those shows were coming on standard, single-layer DVD-Rs because that would mean way too high a pricetag and way too many discs in a season set. When we are talking about an hour long shows that generally had upper 30s episode counts, it's too much for MOD releases. The only way to even think about making that work is to use dual-layered DVD-Rs. Even then it's going to be a hefty set.

Gary "they'll probably want to find a way to get a minimum of 4 hour long episodes on a disc before they attempt any such release" O.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Originally Posted by Gary OS

Quote:

That's been my contention from day one, Randy. As soon as the WB Archive program started up people here on the TV board were clamoring for 77 SUNSET STRIP, HAWAIIAN EYE, and a bunch of other hour long Warner shows from the 50's and 60's. And I knew there was no way those shows were coming on standard, single-layer DVD-Rs because that would mean way too high a pricetag and way too many discs in a season set. When we are talking about an hour long shows that generally had upper 30s episode counts, it's too much for MOD releases. The only way to even think about making that work is to use dual-layered DVD-Rs. Even then it's going to be a hefty set.

Gary "they'll probably want to find a way to get a minimum of 4 hour long episodes on a disc before they attempt any such release" O.

They can always go the CBS/Paramount route and do split season sets, or even split them into 4 sets.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdee28

They can always go the CBS/Paramount route and do split season sets, or even split them into 4 sets.

That scenario wouldn't surprise me in the least, John.

Gary "I'd actually be more surprised if they didn't go that route with larger, older hour long series" O.

Hasslein

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
This will be my first MOD purchase. I hate to endorse the program, but I've wanted the Eight is Enough episode for years.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
We have an answer about the COURTSHIP OF EDDIE'S FATHER. As I had thought, there really wasn't a Christmas episode in the sense that there were any of the traditional trappings one would associate with a Christmas episode. But Warners says that there is a production note in association with the 2nd season episode, which originally aired near Christmas time, that says this was meant to be a Christmas episode because it is about giving gifts. What I wonder is if the people associated with this series (the producers or writers) were, for whatever reason, not comfortable with Christmas and therefore created an episode that was about the general idea of the season without identifying the episode as such. Or maybe they took the stance that creating a specific Christmas episode wouldn't play as well in syndication. I have no idea, but I do find this curious.

Gary "now I'm just waiting, and hoping, that the KILDARE episode is the 1st Season one" O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles H

What are the titles of the two DR. KILDARE episodes?

The 1st Season episode is entitled "Season to be Jolly". The other Christmas episode is from the 4th Season and entitled, "An Exchange of Gifts".

Gary "there's no doubt that the 1st season episode is superior to the other one" O.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Originally Posted by Gary OS /forum/thread/305295/wow-wb-to-release-classic-tv-christmas-collection-on-mod#post_3744114

No Goncours, No Sale.

Point "I just can't get enough of these Goncours jokes in every year when the holidays roll around" Blank

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks