-

Photo

New Live Action Disney...P&S Only!!!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
78 replies to this topic

#1 of 79 OFFLINE   Wade_W

Wade_W

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted December 15 2001 - 01:31 AM

I haven't seen this posted yet but it looks like Disney is FINALLY releasing some of their live action titles on May 7, 2002. Swiss Family Robinson, Old Yeller, The Parent Trap & Pollyanna. I'm really happy to finally see some of these being released (especially original Parent Trap). Only problem...they're not OAR!!!! Amazon.com has the cover art for each title's 2 DVD set & all the special edition content...but near the bottom: "Full-Screen Format". I don't know how accurate their information is but I wouldn't be surprised if it were true. Posted Image

IMDB has both Parent Trap & Pollyanna's AR listed at 1.75:1, no listing for Old Yeller & Swiss Family as 2.35:1.

I think it's time for another petition.

#2 of 79 OFFLINE   Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit

• 488 posts

Posted December 15 2001 - 03:23 AM

It's not true. NOBODY, not even Disney, would release a 2.35:1 film on DVD exclusively in P&S. If any of you can prove me wrong, why don't you name some big-studio titles that have been released this way?

#3 of 79 OFFLINE   Jonathan

Jonathan

Second Unit

• 465 posts

Posted December 15 2001 - 03:31 AM

I'm betting that Disney is doing duel releases on these titles. Amazon probably has only received info on the p&s and decided they wanted to go ahead and start preorders.
"It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."
- Office Space

---------------------------------------
My DVD Collection

#4 of 79 OFFLINE   John_McKittrick

John_McKittrick

Stunt Coordinator

• 226 posts

Posted December 15 2001 - 04:48 AM

I want Johnny Tremain.

Doc
Long Live XBox and DVD!!

#5 of 79 OFFLINE   Daniel Schenk

Daniel Schenk

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts

Posted December 15 2001 - 04:56 AM

I searched many DVD Info Sites and also searched at most On-line Stores. So far only Amazon has these Titles available for pre-order. The Covers are nice looking but i wouldn`t trust Amazon on the Infos provided on their site. Disney really has improved and i can`t believe they would release those movies not in the proper format.

#6 of 79 OFFLINE   Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel

Screenwriter

• 2,284 posts

Posted December 15 2001 - 05:09 AM

If Amazon.com told you the world was ending, would you believe them?

I'd wait for a press release before getting into a hissy fit, and I have to agree with Jeffrey Gray. No studio would release a 2.35:1 film exclusively in P&S on DVD.

#7 of 79 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,153 posts

Posted December 15 2001 - 05:11 AM

I'm not worried. I agree that Disney has made VAST improvements in their DVD output and seem finally to be listening to HTF types. I expect that SWISS FAMILY ROBINSON at least will be OAR, if not the others. The lasers of PARENT TRAP and OLD YELLER were full screen, but SFR was 2.35:1.

#8 of 79 OFFLINE   Chris Dale

Chris Dale

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted December 15 2001 - 05:13 AM

In my estimation, if they're going to the effort of creating a two disc set for each of these movies then it is only logically to also release them in their OAR. A lot of the features are aimed toward the adult fan rather than just kids. May is still a few months away. Don't worry yet.

#9 of 79 OFFLINE   GlennH

GlennH

Screenwriter

• 2,125 posts

Posted December 15 2001 - 05:25 AM

Quote:
It's not true. NOBODY, not even Disney, would release a 2.35:1 film on DVD exclusively in P&S. If any of you can prove me wrong, why don't you name some big-studio titles that have been released this way?

Quote:
and I have to agree with Jeffrey Gray. No studio would release a 2.35:1 film exclusively in P&S on DVD.

CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG (MGM) is 2.20:1 and only in P&S on DVD. Not 2.35:1, but just as bad.

#10 of 79 OFFLINE   Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor

• 652 posts

Posted December 15 2001 - 05:31 AM

Quote:
New Live Action Disney...P&S Only!!!!

It ought to be against forum rules to post such unverified information!

Quote:
I think it's time for another petition.

Yeah, but it ought to be for making a rule that people don't post subjects as facts when they are really unverified information.

Had you put a "?" instead of "!!!!", it would have been much more appropriate since you said...
Quote:
I don't know how accurate their information is

"Take away the CGI and action sequences in the Star Wars prequels and what do you have left? Bad writing and worse acting!"
-Me

#11 of 79 OFFLINE   Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit

• 488 posts

Posted December 15 2001 - 05:43 AM

OK. I forgot about Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, but you have to realize that it was an MGM title, released in 1998. And it was ONE title. I don't think any 2.35:1 titles from the major studios have been P&S-only on DVD since then.

#12 of 79 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,070 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted December 15 2001 - 06:24 AM

Quote:
I want Johnny Tremain.
I actually got tired of waiting and bought the pan & scan laserdisc of this one about a month ago. Nice transfer, all things considered. Disney released a lot of their live action stuff like Old Yeller, Darby O'Gill and the Little People, and Johnny Tremain 4:3 only on laserdisc. They knew enough to letterbox 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, though. The only way I will upgrade to the DVDs is if I can get OAR.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#13 of 79 OFFLINE   Robert George

Robert George

Screenwriter

• 1,014 posts

Posted December 15 2001 - 06:50 AM

There are several 2.35:1 (anamorphic) films on DVD in pan & scan only, but as has been correctly noted, virtually all of these are from '97 and '98. I don't recall any of them being from Disney.

I would be shocked if Swiss Family Robinson or 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea were released in pan & scan only. Even second tier Disney titles get treated better than that. When Disney pawned off The Black Hole to Anchor Bay, it was at least a letterboxed transfer.

#14 of 79 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted December 15 2001 - 07:27 AM

Amazon has posted early information before that turned out to be correct on the dates, but wrong on the details. Often the AR is the most common thing wrong with their data.

I think they default to "full screen" on kiddie-type titles when they lack concrete info. No hard facts, just my observation.

I personally would put faith in the dates, but little else...
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#15 of 79 OFFLINE   Brian E

Brian E

Screenwriter

• 1,636 posts

Posted December 15 2001 - 07:34 AM

Quote:
I want Johnny Tremain.

I'm there for that one. I'd also like Follow Me Boys and Johnny Shiloh.
~Brian

#16 of 79 OFFLINE   Hakan Powers

Hakan Powers

Stunt Coordinator

• 247 posts

Posted December 15 2001 - 07:35 AM

David is right. Amazon.com is notorious for posting erroneous data on preorders.
My movies
The Price of freedom is eternal vigilance - Thomas Jefferson

#17 of 79 OFFLINE   Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit

• 488 posts

Posted December 15 2001 - 07:41 AM

We NEED The Absent-Minded Professor on DVD. (And NOT COLORIZED!)

#18 of 79 OFFLINE   Joel C

Joel C

Screenwriter

• 1,635 posts

Posted December 15 2001 - 08:01 AM

Quote:
I want Johnny Tremain.

They should call this movie Johnny Deformed!
Joel
woemcats@hotmail.com
"Why I laugh?"

#19 of 79 OFFLINE   Kenneth Cummings

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor

• 852 posts

Posted December 15 2001 - 10:12 AM

Remember, this is Amazon.com who we talking about here Wade. They the same online company that had the Wonka disc listed as widescreen for months after we found out it was really pan and scam.
I need a new signature.

#20 of 79 OFFLINE   Brian E

Brian E

Screenwriter

• 1,636 posts

Posted December 15 2001 - 12:02 PM

Quote:
Remember, this is Amazon.com who we talking about here Wade. They the same online company that had the Wonka disc listed as widescreen for months after we found out it was really pan and scam.

That wasn't just Amazon. Everyone, including the DVD's producer, thought there would be a widescreen release.
~Brian

Back to Archived Threads 2001-2004

Forum Nav Content I Follow