Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Whatever happened to the 1962 Brando Version o f' mutiny on the Bounty"?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,430 posts

Posted October 21 2010 - 09:37 AM

This remake was rumored to come out with the 1935 Version (Clark Gable) which arrives on Blu-ray in Nov.  While the 35 version is better, the 62 version will blow it away on Blu-ray : this was a large format widescreen color film.  Warner already has the HD transfer which was issued on the other High Def format which has disappeared

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 2,190 posts

Posted October 21 2010 - 11:34 PM

It is very much a matter of opinion if the first version is better than the remake. When the '62 version came out on HD-DVD, everyone raved about the picture quality. I'd love to have it on BRD. I'm sure others would too.

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,326 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted October 22 2010 - 12:14 AM

The DVD of the 1962 Mutiny on the Bounty looks great (got it as part of the Brando box set), so I can imagine this looks stupendous on HD-DVD. It must have sold very poorly for Warners to have waited so long to port it over to Blu-ray.

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   PRO-630HD

PRO-630HD

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted October 22 2010 - 01:35 AM

I own the hddvd and it is exceptional. Fantastic PQ, especially when first released.

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,551 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted October 22 2010 - 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by PRO-630HD 

...Fantastic PQ, especially when first released.

That's funny. Did the PQ of the HD-DVD deteriorate over time? I think perhaps you mean the PQ seemed great at the time but wouldn't measure up to current-day standards?

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,650 posts

Posted October 22 2010 - 06:04 AM

I think it looks great on HD DVD. The only reason I keep an HD DVD player in my setup is for the titles like this (and Grand Prix) which have not yet been released on Blu. Also, I think it is quite a decent film.

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   john a hunter

john a hunter

Supporting Actor

• 670 posts

Posted October 22 2010 - 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Mark-P 

That's funny. Did the PQ of the HD-DVD deteriorate over time? I think perhaps you mean the PQ seemed great at the time but wouldn't measure up to current-day standards?

It could look even better on Blu depend on how it's encoded. It will certainly sound better with lossless audio and do justice at last to the great score.

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,430 posts

Posted December 21 2010 - 11:42 AM

Still no word on the tite coming to Blu-ray? Didn't Warner do a HD master when they released this title on the now de-funct HD Disc? Are they still planning to release it or does it require a new master (the other is 4 years old) or will this now become a 50th anniversary release in 2012 ?

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted December 21 2010 - 02:27 PM

I watched the HD DVD about a month back for the first time- it looked sensational.

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   snoopy28574

snoopy28574

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted December 21 2010 - 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by john a hunter 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-P 

It could look even better on Blu depend on how it's encoded. It will certainly sound better with lossless audio and do justice at last to the great score.

I'm sure everyone reading here knows what you were trying to say. Best to ignore people when they nit pick you. I would love to see an 8k transfer done, but will settle for whatever comes out on blue. Providing a good review of course. I never buy blind unless its DVD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow