What's new

May 3, 2013 Iron Man 3 announced (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
He was also the screenwriter behind all of the Lethal Weapon movies. I agree he'd be a good choice, assuming they've got a good story to give him. I hope he brings on as much of the technical crew from the first two movies as possible though, because they were both beautifully made pictures with a unique aesthetic.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
Technically, Black got character credit on the last two Weapons, which means he had nothing to do with the stories.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
If Shane Black writes and directs the next movie, I might actually watch it. IMO the first IM was mediocre and the second was truly awful, but Black has done great work in the past. He's a titan of the modern action-comedy genre, and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was awesome.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I envy anyone who thinks Iron Man 2 is truly awful because they must not have seen too many bad movies. I'm not saying Iron Man 2 is particularly good but it's bravura filmmaking compared to some of the garbage that I've seen in my life. Even leaving out things like no budget terrible movies (Manos: The Hands Of Fate) or low budget terrible movies (the Police Academy movies), it's still better than many other comic books movies like Elektra or Ghost Rider or The Punisher movies or Jonah Hex or Catwoman or the third and fourth Superman movies or the Schumacher Batman movies or the third X-Men movie.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by TravisR
I envy anyone who thinks Iron Man 2 is truly awful because they must not have seen too many bad movies. I'm not saying Iron Man 2 is particularly good but it's bravura filmmaking compared to some of the garbage that I've seen in my life. Even leaving out things like no budget terrible movies (Manos: The Hands Of Fate) or low budget terrible movies (the Police Academy movies), it's still better than many other comic books movies like Elektra or Ghost Rider or The Punisher movies or Jonah Hex or Catwoman or the third and fourth Superman movies or the Schumacher Batman movies or the third X-Men movie.
Iron Man 2 is bad, and the existence of even worse movies makes it no better. By no stretch can it be called "bravura filmmaking".

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Iron Man 2 is excellent from a purely technical standpoint. From a narrative standpoint, it suffers from having to serve as both an Iron Man sequel and an Avengers prequel. The introduction of Nick Fury and Black Widow is a fun diversion that never the less muddles the theme and purpose of the film. But the screenplay still does a good job of giving Tony Stark an emotional arc and keeping him firmly at the center of the picture. It doesn't suffer from the sequelitis of Batman & Robin and Spider-Man 3, where the heroes get lost in the shuffle.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
RobertR said:
Iron Man 2 is bad, and the existence of even worse movies makes it no better. By no stretch can it be called "bravura filmmaking".
I'll happily accept that someone thinks Iron Man 2 is bad. I own probably about 2,000 DVDs and Blu-rays and I don't have or want either Iron Man movie so that indicates what I think about the movie. However, I've seen truly awful movies and Iron Man 2 isn't one of them.

As for it being bravura filmmaking, what I said was that "...it's bravura filmmaking compared to some of the garbage that I've seen in my life." I've seen alot of bad movies and if I compare Iron Man 2 solely to those bad movies, it is bravura filmmaking and that's the only way that I would say that about the movie.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
The first hour of that film is truly awful. It may be technically well done, and yes, I can turn my brain off for movies, but I found it to be near unbearable. The Tony Stark drunk in the suit scene is easily as bad as watching Peter Parker dance down Broadway with eyeliner.

I found it especially frustrating and disappointing and to be honest, stupid, because Tony Stark is interesting enough of a character that theres plenty of things to do with him besides having the character scratch records in his Iron Man suit. This is how they chose to explore Tony Starks weakness for alcohol?

Oh, And Ive seen PLENTY of terrible movies gong back to the 70s.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Surprised to see this scheduled for 2013. That will mean two pictures headlined by Downey as Iron Man in two years (Avengers, IM3). More power to them if they can pull it off and still keep people's attention.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Originally Posted by TravisR

I haven't actually seen most of those (I have certainly seen hundreds of bad movies), but the ones I did see were simply bad. Iron Man 2 was an insult to the very concept of entertainment.

(Actually, I thought X-Men III was pretty good! Not a fan of the rest, though.)

Vaughan Odendaal

Second Unit
"The Tony Stark drunk in the suit scene is easily as bad as watching Peter Parker dance down Broadway with eyeliner." Uh, the Peter Parker dance scene with eyeliner was far worse. FAR worse.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Vaughan Odendaal
"The Tony Stark drunk in the suit scene is easily as bad as watching Peter Parker dance down Broadway with eyeliner." Uh, the Peter Parker dance scene with eyeliner was far worse. FAR worse.
I agree. 1) The Tony Stark drunk in the suit scene was consistent with the character we've been presented in the movies, given the circumstances he was under. Peter Park dance down Broadway wasn't, even given that he's evil, black suit Peter Parker. 2) Tobey Maguire is no Robert Downey Jr.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks