Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

May 3, 2013 Iron Man 3 announced

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#1 of 168 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted October 19 2010 - 10:15 AM

Fantastic news indeed.

RDJ in top form.

http://www.reuters.c...E69H4NZ20101018

Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#2 of 168 JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted October 19 2010 - 11:08 AM

I think Jon F already said IM3 will feature The Mandarin.

#3 of 168 Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,546 posts

Posted February 10 2011 - 04:23 AM

Shane Black, who directed RDJ in the terrific Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang, is being considered to write/direct IM3 - that would be a great choice in my opinion:

http://www.darkhoriz...rect-iron-man-3-

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#4 of 168 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,054 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted February 10 2011 - 05:45 AM

He was also the screenwriter behind all of the Lethal Weapon movies. I agree he'd be a good choice, assuming they've got a good story to give him. I hope he brings on as much of the technical crew from the first two movies as possible though, because they were both beautifully made pictures with a unique aesthetic.

#5 of 168 Don Solosan

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor

• 748 posts

Posted February 10 2011 - 07:37 AM

Technically, Black got character credit on the last two Weapons, which means he had nothing to do with the stories.

#6 of 168 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,054 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted February 10 2011 - 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Don Solosan 

Technically, Black got character credit on the last two Weapons, which means he had nothing to do with the stories.

Even better yet! Posted Image

#7 of 168 Don Solosan

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor

• 748 posts

Posted February 10 2011 - 01:35 PM

I see what you mean, Adam.

#8 of 168 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,386 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted February 11 2011 - 04:00 AM

If Shane Black writes and directs the next movie, I might actually watch it.  IMO the first IM was mediocre and the second was truly awful, but Black has done great work in the past.  He's a titan of the modern action-comedy genre, and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was awesome.

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#9 of 168 JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted February 11 2011 - 04:06 AM

I agree Iron Man 2 was truly awful. Fanboys love the movie.

• Morphling likes this

#10 of 168 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,488 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 11 2011 - 04:40 AM

I envy anyone who thinks Iron Man 2 is truly awful because they must not have seen too many bad movies. I'm not saying Iron Man 2 is particularly good but it's bravura filmmaking compared to some of the garbage that I've seen in my life. Even leaving out things like no budget terrible movies (Manos: The Hands Of Fate) or low budget terrible movies (the Police Academy movies), it's still better than many other comic books movies like Elektra or Ghost Rider or The Punisher movies or Jonah Hex or Catwoman or the third and fourth Superman movies or the Schumacher Batman movies or the third X-Men movie.

#11 of 168 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,423 posts

Posted February 11 2011 - 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by TravisR 

I envy anyone who thinks Iron Man 2 is truly awful because they must not have seen too many bad movies. I'm not saying Iron Man 2 is particularly good but it's bravura filmmaking compared to some of the garbage that I've seen in my life. Even leaving out things like no budget terrible movies (Manos: The Hands Of Fate) or low budget terrible movies (the Police Academy movies), it's still better than many other comic books movies like Elektra or Ghost Rider or The Punisher movies or Jonah Hex or Catwoman or the third and fourth Superman movies or the Schumacher Batman movies or the third X-Men movie.

Iron Man 2 is bad, and the existence of even worse movies makes it no better.  By no stretch can it be called "bravura filmmaking".

#12 of 168 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,054 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted February 11 2011 - 08:50 AM

Iron Man 2 is excellent from a purely technical standpoint. From a narrative standpoint, it suffers from having to serve as both an Iron Man sequel and an Avengers prequel. The introduction of Nick Fury and Black Widow is a fun diversion that never the less muddles the theme and purpose of the film. But the screenplay still does a good job of giving Tony Stark an emotional arc and keeping him firmly at the center of the picture. It doesn't suffer from the sequelitis of Batman & Robin and Spider-Man 3, where the heroes get lost in the shuffle.

#13 of 168 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,488 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 11 2011 - 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by RobertR 

Quote:

Iron Man 2 is bad, and the existence of even worse movies makes it no better.  By no stretch can it be called "bravura filmmaking".

I'll happily accept that someone thinks Iron Man 2 is bad. I own probably about 2,000 DVDs and Blu-rays and I don't have or want either Iron Man movie so that indicates what I think about the movie. However, I've seen truly awful movies and Iron Man 2 isn't one of them.

As for it being bravura filmmaking, what I said was that "...it's bravura filmmaking compared to some of the garbage that I've seen in my life." I've seen alot of bad movies and if I compare Iron Man 2 solely to those bad movies, it is bravura filmmaking and that's the only way that I would say that about the movie.

#14 of 168 JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted February 11 2011 - 02:04 PM

The first hour of that film is truly awful. It may be technically well done, and yes, I can turn my brain off for movies, but I found it to be near unbearable. The Tony Stark drunk in the suit scene is easily as bad as watching Peter Parker dance down Broadway with eyeliner.

I found it especially frustrating and disappointing and to be honest, stupid, because Tony Stark is interesting enough of a character that theres plenty of things to do with him besides having the character scratch records in his Iron Man suit. This is how they chose to explore Tony Starks weakness for alcohol?

Oh, And Ive seen PLENTY of terrible movies gong back to the 70s.

#15 of 168 Don Solosan

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor

• 748 posts

Posted February 12 2011 - 01:24 PM

The first hour of Zaat! is "truly awful"... you don't know what pain is!

#16 of 168 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,753 posts

Posted February 13 2011 - 11:33 PM

Surprised to see this scheduled for 2013. That will mean two pictures headlined by Downey as Iron Man in two years (Avengers, IM3). More power to them if they can pull it off and still keep people's attention.

#17 of 168 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,386 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted February 14 2011 - 06:57 AM

I haven't actually seen most of those (I have certainly seen hundreds of bad movies), but the ones I did see were simply bad.  Iron Man 2 was an insult to the very concept of entertainment.

(Actually, I thought X-Men III was pretty good!  Not a fan of the rest, though.)

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#18 of 168 Vaughan Odendaal

Vaughan Odendaal

Second Unit

• 403 posts

Posted February 19 2011 - 09:39 AM

"The Tony Stark drunk in the suit scene is easily as bad as watching Peter Parker dance down Broadway with eyeliner." Uh, the Peter Parker dance scene with eyeliner was far worse. FAR worse.

#19 of 168 cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,828 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted February 19 2011 - 10:25 AM

2013? Right around the corner! But according to to Roland Emmerich, the world is supposed to...oh, never mind.

#20 of 168 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,054 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted February 19 2011 - 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Vaughan Odendaal 

"The Tony Stark drunk in the suit scene is easily as bad as watching Peter Parker dance down Broadway with eyeliner." Uh, the Peter Parker dance scene with eyeliner was far worse. FAR worse.

I agree. 1) The Tony Stark drunk in the suit scene was consistent with the character we've been presented in the movies, given the circumstances he was under. Peter Park dance down Broadway wasn't, even given that he's evil, black suit Peter Parker. 2) Tobey Maguire is no Robert Downey Jr.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow