-

Photo
- - - - -

"Paul" - Starring Simon Pegg and Nick Frost

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 OFFLINE   spshultz

spshultz

Second Unit

• 301 posts

Posted October 18 2010 - 10:22 AM

I think it looks pretty good.

#2 of 20 OFFLINE   SWFF

SWFF

Screenwriter

• 1,851 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted October 19 2010 - 03:05 AM

I love HOT FUZZ and hope this new team up proves to be just as good.

#3 of 20 ONLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,703 posts

Posted October 19 2010 - 11:49 AM

Shaun of the Dead is one of my all-time favorite films, and Hot Fuzz is hilarious, I have extremely high hopes for this!

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#4 of 20 OFFLINE   Dan Gill

Dan Gill

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted October 19 2010 - 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Neil Middlemiss 

Shaun of the Dead is one of my all-time favorite films, and Hot Fuzz is hilarious, I have extremely high hopes for this!

Complete agreement on Shaun of the Dead - so many quotable lines and great moments. This has a lot of potential!

#5 of 20 OFFLINE   Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter

• 1,569 posts

Posted October 20 2010 - 03:19 AM

Did Seth MacFarlane write this?  The alien sure looks like a straight port of Roger from American Dad!

I loved Hot Fuzz and still find it very funny on repeat viewings but Shaun of the Dead did nothing for me and seemed like a complete waste of a great concept that could have been really funny but fell flat.  I'm curious how I will find this new movie.

#6 of 20 OFFLINE   Shane D

Shane D

Supporting Actor

• 651 posts

Posted October 20 2010 - 07:56 AM

not really fair to compare it to shaun and fuzz, only the 2 actors are the same, the director and co writer of those movies isn't involved.

edit: ok half the writer, simon pegg did co write all 3 of these movies

#7 of 20 ONLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,703 posts

Posted October 20 2010 - 10:43 AM

Edgar Wright was the director of both as well.

Originally Posted by Shane D 

not really fair to compare it to shaun and fuzz, only the 2 actors are the same, the director and co writer of those movies isn't involved.

edit: ok half the writer, simon pegg did co write all 3 of these movies

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#8 of 20 OFFLINE   Shane D

Shane D

Supporting Actor

• 651 posts

Posted October 21 2010 - 03:48 AM

yeah thats what i meant, he directed and co wrote. just wasn't clear on it.

#9 of 20 OFFLINE   SWFF

SWFF

Screenwriter

• 1,851 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted December 20 2010 - 11:28 AM

The UK trailer. I might see this. It seems to have a wild amount of potential:

#10 of 20 OFFLINE   spshultz

spshultz

Second Unit

• 301 posts

Posted December 21 2010 - 10:53 AM

Thanks for the new trailer.  Man there is a lot in that movie!  I'm actually looking forward to seeing this.

#11 of 20 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted December 22 2010 - 03:00 AM

Between this and Your Highness it looks like we have a couple off the wall comedies coming our way. These are the types of comedies I enjoy.

You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#12 of 20 OFFLINE   AllTheRage

AllTheRage

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted December 22 2010 - 04:17 AM

Looking forward to this. I love pretty much everything that I've seen Simon Pegg and Nick Frost in.

#13 of 20 OFFLINE   bugeyes

bugeyes

Agent

• 35 posts

Posted March 13 2011 - 05:54 AM

Looking forward to this one! I loved both Shaun of The Dead and Hot Fuzz, so I'm excited to see Simon Pegg and Nick Frost starring and writing a movie together again. Seth Rogen does the voice for the main alien character, and also appearing are Jason Bateman, Jane Lynch, Kristen Wiig, Bill Hader, and Sigourney Weaver. What a cast. Is anyone else catching this movie on Friday?

Here's the trailer. It looks really funny.

http://bit.ly/htcvaX

#14 of 20 OFFLINE   Matt_A

Matt_A

Stunt Coordinator

• 87 posts

Posted March 18 2011 - 02:44 AM

Agreed.  Must see this movie.

On a related note, this is not considered part of the 'blood and ice cream trilogy' that make up Hot Fuzz and Shawn of the Dead.  With those two movies they collaborated with Edgar Wright.  They are planning to do a third movie making fun of all of the end of the world movies at some point.

Simon Pegg/Nick Frost are very fun to watch!

#15 of 20 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,147 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted March 18 2011 - 04:00 PM

This Paul figure looks and seems too much like Roger from American Dad.
facebook.com/whotony

#16 of 20 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,757 posts

Posted March 19 2011 - 12:27 PM

"Paul" features Nick Frost (Clive) and Simon Pegg (Graeme) as life-long English buds who travel to America to attend Comicon in San Diego, and then they travel eastward in a RV to visit all the various locations with extraterrestrial reputations.  At it would happen, the pair actually do meet up with extraterrestrial life, and that would be Paul, an alien who does look remarkably like the usual visage of an alien: greenish skin, large bald head, large eyes, skinny body.  Paul is voice by Seth Rogen, and is remarkably versed in pop culture after being detained in Area 51 for many, many decades.  The reason why Calvin and Graeme stumble upon Paul is because Paul is finally make an escape attempt, and after coming to terms with Paul's presence, the pair agree to take Paul to the rendezvous point.  But it's not easy, as the FBI and the Secret Service are on the chase for Paul.

Tonally, the film's pretty light-hearted, but the plot is primarily chase-driven, with some good comedy bits sprinkled throughout, mainly through lots of cursing, and some alien-derived hijinks.  I enjoyed most of it, and it'll be a staple for geek cinema culture for years to come.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#17 of 20 OFFLINE   SWFF

SWFF

Screenwriter

• 1,851 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted March 19 2011 - 12:56 PM

Just saw this today, and I loved it. Liked it more than BATTLE: LOS ANGELES. Might actually pick this one up on DVD, too.

#18 of 20 OFFLINE   Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor

• 648 posts

Posted March 20 2011 - 03:13 PM

I saw it last night and really enjoyed the movie. Quite funny with a nice pace, it was never dull. The one critique I will give it is the underlying sub plot of Evolution vs Creationism. I think this storyline was an easy way out for the writers to come up with a subplot. This type of interaction I feel has been done to death in other movies. Besides that, it was a fun movie.

Paul

If there be one of them who does not follow the way of the Snitzil, let that one go and do not throw bowling balls at them.

#19 of 20 OFFLINE   BrettGallman

BrettGallman

Screenwriter

• 1,392 posts

Posted March 25 2011 - 05:09 AM

I thought most of the humor was solid, but what made it work was the heart.  More detailed thoughts can be found here (any and all feedback appreciated, btw).

Oh, the Horror - Horror Reviews from All Decades and All Sub-Genres!
Balls Academy -  Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
Other recent reviews: Super | Thor Tobacco RoadSource Code | Sucker Punch |

#20 of 20 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,581 posts

Posted March 30 2011 - 06:18 AM

Took this in last night. It was funny enough, but it was pulled down enormously by the typical Hollywood anti-Christian message. I'm not particularly religious but I get tired of the stereotypical depiction of Christians as fanatical, raving psychopaths willing to shoot someone at the drop a hat. The evolution vs religion propaganda dragged this film down a notch and partially ruined an otherwise decent effort. The depiction of Paul the aliens personality was a refreshing change from how aliens are typically treated in Sci-Fi influenced movies. Although, creating an alien with the power of healing and naming him "Paul" once again seems to indicate that the writers had some sort of fixation on religious iconography. I also found the "comedy" revolving around swearing rather tedious. The female leads epiphany that she could be a foul mouthed slut wore out its welcome rather quickly for me. I'd give this one a B-.

"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."