Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Disney to distribute 'The Avengers', 'Iron Man 3' for Marvel

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,389 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted October 18 2010 - 08:01 AM

http://www.comingsoo...ws.php?id=70864

Walt Disney Studios will pay Paramount Pictures $115 million for the distribution rights to The Avengers and the just-announced Iron Man 3. Disney will presumably be the sole distributor for Marvel long-term; Paramount will retain the distribution rights for the first two Iron Man movies and will distribute Thor and Captain America: The First Avenger for Marvel next year as planned.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, it was probably inevitable since Disney bought Marvel. On the other hand, I think Paramount has done a great job nuturing Marvel's more obscure brands. Favreau and Paramount had a partnership that worked, with a marketing team that knew how to sell the movies he was making.

It'll be interesting to see how Columbia Pictures reacts if Disney tries to make overtures to them for the Spider-Man distribution rights.

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Jose Martinez

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,113 posts

Posted October 19 2010 - 04:11 PM

I'm hoping the next Spider-Man movie will fail so Columbia will give up on the franchise and hopefully sell the rights to Disney.

Live Free or DIE!!!!!

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,053 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted October 19 2010 - 04:22 PM

Disney received 91.7% of the profit from Iron Man 2.  This is not a shock that they would let this go to Disney, as they were making relatively little on it.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted October 19 2010 - 06:16 PM

Both Iron Man movies were produced by Marvel Studios, Paramount just distributed them, playing a relatively minor role. This is a totally different relationship than that of Sony's Spider-Man.

I.e. Paramount's getting paid what they would have made anyways, and Disney isn't getting their hands on Spider-Man any time soon.

"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   TerryRL

TerryRL

Producer

• 3,977 posts

Posted October 29 2010 - 07:26 AM

While Disney would absolutely love to have all of the Marvel properties under one roof (like WB does with all of the DC titles), as Zack pointed out the Marvel heroes housed at Sony (Spider-Man and Ghost Rider) and Fox (all X-Men titles, Daredevil, and the Fantastic Four) are going to stay right where they are.

Both Sony and Fox have ironclad contracts that keep those properties in their coffers as long as they continue to make movies within a certain amount of time.  The two studios can technically sell the properties to Disney, but again, that ain't likely to happen within the foreseeable future.

"Quite an experience to live in fear isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave."

#6 of 10 ONLINE   Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Screenwriter

• 2,732 posts

Posted November 04 2010 - 12:50 AM

I just watched The Avengers.... And The Hobbit. Being a time traveler is fun, isn't it? Posted Image
I don't believe in transcending the genre, I believe IN the genre - Joss Whedon

#7 of 10 ONLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,901 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted November 04 2010 - 05:42 AM

Yep.  The six 3D Star Wars movies were kind of a disaster, but it's really a relief that everyone responded so well to episodes 7 through 9.  His experimental films were polarizing, but in a better way than the prequels were.

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Jose Martinez

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,113 posts

Posted November 04 2010 - 03:35 PM

Just a question: how did Marvel (or Paramount) get the rights to use the Hulk in The Avengers again? I can't remember how they got it from Universal. Thx.
Live Free or DIE!!!!!

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Screenwriter

• 2,279 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted November 04 2010 - 03:50 PM

The last Hulk movie was financed and produced by Marvel, not Universal.

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   emily1125

emily1125

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted November 15 2010 - 06:07 PM

You're right. But sometimes it's okay. I like Disney movies dvd. Its beauty makes me feel warm.