What's new

Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase 1 General Discussion (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=70864

Walt Disney Studios will pay Paramount Pictures $115 million for the distribution rights to The Avengers and the just-announced Iron Man 3. Disney will presumably be the sole distributor for Marvel long-term; Paramount will retain the distribution rights for the first two Iron Man movies and will distribute Thor and Captain America: The First Avenger for Marvel next year as planned.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, it was probably inevitable since Disney bought Marvel. On the other hand, I think Paramount has done a great job nuturing Marvel's more obscure brands. Favreau and Paramount had a partnership that worked, with a marketing team that knew how to sell the movies he was making.

It'll be interesting to see how Columbia Pictures reacts if Disney tries to make overtures to them for the Spider-Man distribution rights.

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
I'm hoping the next Spider-Man movie will fail so Columbia will give up on the franchise and hopefully sell the rights to Disney.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Disney received 91.7% of the profit from Iron Man 2. This is not a shock that they would let this go to Disney, as they were making relatively little on it.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Both Iron Man movies were produced by Marvel Studios, Paramount just distributed them, playing a relatively minor role. This is a totally different relationship than that of Sony's Spider-Man.

I.e. Paramount's getting paid what they would have made anyways, and Disney isn't getting their hands on Spider-Man any time soon.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
While Disney would absolutely love to have all of the Marvel properties under one roof (like WB does with all of the DC titles), as Zack pointed out the Marvel heroes housed at Sony (Spider-Man and Ghost Rider) and Fox (all X-Men titles, Daredevil, and the Fantastic Four) are going to stay right where they are.

Both Sony and Fox have ironclad contracts that keep those properties in their coffers as long as they continue to make movies within a certain amount of time. The two studios can technically sell the properties to Disney, but again, that ain't likely to happen within the foreseeable future.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I just watched The Avengers.... And The Hobbit. Being a time traveler is fun, isn't it?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Yep. The six 3D Star Wars movies were kind of a disaster, but it's really a relief that everyone responded so well to episodes 7 through 9. His experimental films were polarizing, but in a better way than the prequels were.

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
Just a question: how did Marvel (or Paramount) get the rights to use the Hulk in The Avengers again? I can't remember how they got it from Universal. Thx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks