Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

SPHE Press Release: Salt (Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 of 26 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 43,320 posts

Posted October 18 2010 - 05:22 AM

Posted Image

Sizzling hot!  It’s an explosive, nail-biting ride that doesn’t slow down.”

- Pete Hammond, Boxoffice Magazine

More charm than Bond and more strength than Bourne.” – David Basner, MTV/VH1 Radio Networks

The Worldwide Box-Office Smash

Starring Angelina Jolie

SALT

Deluxe Unrated Edition Blu-ray and DVD Debuts December 21

With 3 Different Versions of the Film

Posted Image

CULVER CITY, CALIF. (October 18, 2010) – Academy Award® winner Angelina Jolie (Best Supporting Actress, Girl, Interrupted, 1999) stars as a CIA agent on the run after a defector accuses her of being a Russian spy in the international box-office action-packed eventSALT.  The Deluxe Unrated Edition Blu-ray and DVD, debuting on December 21 from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, will include three versions of the film including the original theatrical film plus two additional unrated extended cuts not seen in theaters with two alternate endings.  A Theatrical Edition DVD will also be available.  Extensive bonus materials include filmmaker commentary and multiple featurettes that take viewers behind-the-scenes on the adrenaline-pumping thrill ride of the year. SALT will be available on Deluxe Unrated Edition Blu-ray for $34.95 SRP, Deluxe Unrated Edition DVD for $28.96 SRP and Theatrical Edition DVD for $28.96 SRP.

Synopsis:

As a CIA officer, Evelyn Salt (Angelina Jolie) swore an oath to duty, honor and country. Her loyalty will be tested when a defector accuses her of being a Russian spy. Salt goes on the run, using all her skills and years of experience as a covert operative to elude capture. Salt’s efforts to prove her innocence only serve to cast doubt on her motives, as the hunt to uncover the truth behind her identity continues and the question remains: “Who is Salt?”

Directed by Phillip Noyce (Clear and Present Danger, Patriot Games), SALT also stars Liev Schreiber (X-Men Origins: Wolverine) and Chiwetel Ejiofor (2012Talk to Me) and was written by Kurt Wimmer. Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Sunil Perkash produced, with Ric Kidney and Mark Vahradian serving as executive producers.

DVD and Blu-ray Bonus Features Include:

§  Filmmaker Commentary

§  “The Ultimate Female Action Hero”

§   “Spy Disguise: The Looks of Evelyn Salt”

§   Radio Interview with Director Phillip Noyce

Exclusive Blu-ray Bonus Features Include:

§  “SALT: Declassified – An undercover look at the secrets of making Salt

§  “The Real Agents”

§  “The Modern Master of the Political Thriller: Phillip Noyce”

§  “False Identity: Creating A New Reality”

§  movieIQ

§  Spy Cam: Picture in Picture Track - Discover how the stunts and action were created. With pre-visualization sequences, storyboards, and behind-the-scenes interviews with filmmakers, cast and crew you can uncover the truth behind Salt!

SALT is rated PG-13 for intense sequences of violence and action. Runtimes are as follows:

Theatrical Version – approximately 100min

Unrated Director”s Cut - approximately 104min

Unrated Extended Cut - approximately 101min

Artwork and digital clips are available for download at www.sphepublicity.com.  Visit Sony Home Entertainment on the Web atwww.SonyPictures.com.

Deluxe Unrated Edition Blu-ray

Deluxe Unrated Edition DVD

BD Catalog #: 35011

DVD Catalog #: 35008

BD UPC Code: 0 43396 35011 3

DVD UPC Code: 0 43396 35008 3

BD Order Date: 11/18/10

DVD Order Date: 11/18/10

BD SLP: $34.95

DVD SLP: $28.96

Theatrical Edition DVD

DVD Catalog # 36767

DVD UPC Code: 0 43396 36767 8

DVD Order Date: 11/18/10

DVD SLP: $28.96

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 26 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,864 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted October 19 2010 - 04:23 AM

Not the best actioner this year but I enjoyed it so count me in for a copy. 3 different versions? oooh

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Top 10 Charts

#3 of 26 OFFLINE   MattFini

MattFini

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted October 19 2010 - 01:48 PM

Absolutely loved this one, thought it blew away all three Bourne movies. This is a must have on day one ... and three versions included?  Awesome!
Universal, please release Streets of Fire on Blu-ray.

#4 of 26 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 33,446 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted October 19 2010 - 02:49 PM

Loved this movie.  LOVED it.  There was never a moment during this film when I was checking my watch or wondering when something interesting was going to happen. Wonder what's in the unrated versions...  It also didn't hurt, for me, that the big vehicle action sequence was filmed on the bridge connecting Rensselaer to Albany, NY. Merry Christmas to me!

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#5 of 26 OFFLINE   Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 882 posts

Posted December 23 2010 - 03:57 AM

I'm surprised no HTF review of "Salt" yet. Anyway, watched the theatrical version yesterday and I really enjoyed it. A/V was splendid as well. I'm wondering what differences there are between the version I saw and the "unrated cut" and the "unrated director's cut". From what I've gathered some sequences were moved around and the ending is different in each one. I wish the various endings were just part of the special features without me having to watch each version. Of course, I liked it so much, why am I complaining? :) Certainly no regrets on the blind buy.

#6 of 26 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted December 23 2010 - 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Southpaw 

I'm surprised no HTF review of "Salt" yet.

I was all set to write one, but no review copy arrived.

COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#7 of 26 OFFLINE   Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 882 posts

Posted December 23 2010 - 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Reuben 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw 

I'm surprised no HTF review of "Salt" yet.

I was all set to write one, but no review copy arrived.

Huh, that's too bad. Is it in transit?
If not, like I said, worth the blind buy.

#8 of 26 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted December 23 2010 - 05:44 AM

[quote]Originally Posted by Southpaw [url=/forum/thread/305084/sphe-press-release-salt-blu-ray#post_3764217]

COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#9 of 26 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 26,499 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 23 2010 - 06:12 AM

I'm getting ready to cue up my BRD right now.  I forgot about it having 3 different versions on it.  I loved the version I watched in the theater so I'll probably try the director's cut first. Crawdaddy

#10 of 26 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 26,499 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 24 2010 - 07:42 AM

For those interested in this fine action film, this BRD contains the following:

Unrated Extended Cut - approximately 101min 

This version of the film doesn't have an important event that takes place in the middle of the film.  However, it does have the original ending never seen beforehand.  The ending is quite different than the ending in the other two film versions.

Theatrical Version – approximately 100min

Unrated Director”s Cut - approximately 104min

These two versions have an important event that takes place in the middle of the film and a similar ending which were shown during it's theatrical run.

#11 of 26 OFFLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,657 posts

Posted December 28 2010 - 04:07 PM

Damn you guys :) All these positive reviews, I went ahead and ordered this.
Posted Image

#12 of 26 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted December 28 2010 - 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by JohnS 

Damn you guys :) All these positive reviews, I went ahead and ordered this.

Same here. Since placing the order though, I'm starting to run across more contrary opinions that make me wish I'd held off a little longer. In the most general terms- the action sounds like it has a typical lowest common denominator disregard for basic physics, and leaves the lead character looking like an invulnerable superhero- which sounds an awful lot like every common dopey action movie I've ever seen.

I don't usually blind buy new movies, but being the holidays I was looking for some new diversions. From what I'm reading now, It sounds like The American would have been more up my alley- shame there's no deal on it though. I picked up Salt along with Easy A for $30 from Amazon. For that price I'll keep it, but I might have to wait for just the right mood to watch it in.

#13 of 26 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted December 28 2010 - 09:55 PM

#14 of 26 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 11,080 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 30 2010 - 01:28 AM

I almost picked this up at Blockbuster yesterday, but rented Inception instead. It sounds like this will be the next rental for us -- I'm trying not to blind buy as much with BD as I did with DVD.

#15 of 26 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 5,127 posts

Posted December 30 2010 - 02:50 AM

Not to thread crap, but...

Same here. Since placing the order though, I'm starting to run across more contrary opinions that make me wish I'd held off a little longer. In the most general terms- the action sounds like it has a typical lowest common denominator disregard for basic physics, and leaves the lead character looking like an invulnerable superhero- which sounds an awful lot like every common dopey action movie I've ever seen.

Yep!

I saw the film theatrically.  I don't mind over the top action in something where the tone is established as such (for instance The Transporter) but the film starts with a serious dramatic tone involving a mole hunt and the action sequences feel like they belong in another film.  Example: Take The Hunt for Red October and have Jack Ryan performing the style of action associated with Angelina Jolie's character in SALT.  For me, it completely undermines the dramatic credibility of the film.

Glad some folks enjoyed the film and I hope you enjoy the Blu-Ray; I'm sure the reverse condition exists - where I think a film is entertaining and you're wondering why Walter would bother to screen such a crap title. 

- Walter.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#16 of 26 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 26,499 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 30 2010 - 03:04 AM

Film appreciation is very subjective!  I loved the over the top action in which a female character is doing it.  If the film starred an actress that wasn't a personal favorite of mine then perhaps my opinion of it would be much different. Crawdaddy

#17 of 26 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,864 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted December 30 2010 - 03:29 AM

[quote]Originally Posted by Robert Crawford [url=/forum/thread/305084/sphe-press-release-salt-blu-ray#post_3766160]

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Top 10 Charts

#18 of 26 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,888 posts

Posted December 30 2010 - 06:49 PM

Ok, just finished watching The American on rental -- and I also watched Salt on a blind-buy a few nights ago. I enjoyed both and think there's a place for both of them, but that's just me (and maybe Roger Ebert _Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (Apostle Paul)

#19 of 26 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 26,499 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 31 2010 - 12:31 AM

I saw The American during it's theatrical run.  I liked the film, but haven't bought the BRD.  I'll probably do so when it gets to the pricepoint I desire for it, but Salt still has more watchability factor for me, due to Angelina baby. Crawdaddy

#20 of 26 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,638 posts

Posted December 31 2010 - 03:34 PM

I rented this tonight and enjoyed it.  I knew going in that it would have unrealistic action scenes, so I just accepted it as a Hollywood fantasy.  Now that I think about it, one of the reasons why I liked it was that it stayed away from visual gimmicks that annoy me so much, such as shaky cam and 3D.  Jolie pulls off this action stuff with aplomb.  I also loved the sound design--very dynamic, with great bass (my eight driver IB subwoofer was really thumping).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow