-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

adding a pc to home theater system

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 kbond29

kbond29

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted October 16 2010 - 04:05 AM

I would like to connect a desktop PC to my home theater system to be able to view webcast video on my projector.

I have an avialable DVI port on my projector.

Could someone recommend a video card to use with DVI output and

also give me some insight on connecting audio to my 6.1 receiver.

Do I need a special sound card?

thanks!!

#2 of 4 CB750

CB750

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted October 16 2010 - 05:28 AM

Many modern PC Video cards have HDMI outputs which carry both Video and Audio.    This would be the best way to make your connection from your PC to your receiver, as both video and sound would be carried.

Although I do not use it my ATI Radeon 4850 which is over a year old has an HDMI output.

#3 of 4 Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor

• 578 posts

Posted October 16 2010 - 09:19 AM

An HDMI signal is easily converted to DVI with an adapter widely available for under $10 or you can get an HDMI to DVI cable (also widely available) but I suggest the adapter just in case you upgrade to an HDMI projector in the future and then all you have to do is remove the adapter -- most modern/current video cards have HDMI out. DVI was simply an early version of digital video.

#4 of 4 Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Executive Producer

• 12,078 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted October 16 2010 - 08:40 PM

I would go HDMI to your receiver and then HDMI from your receiver to an HDMI to DVI converter into your projector. That way you can control your audio with your receiver and then continue the video to your projector. As Phil stated this will help future proof yourself for when you get a projector with an HDMI in.

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."