Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

*** Official RED Review Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,895 posts

Posted October 15 2010 - 04:47 PM

What happens to old government-sanctioned hitmen who grow old?  They get retired, with a month pension check, and try to blend in with a house in suburbia.  That's Frank Moses' new life after being a deadly and effective asset for the CIA.  But things quickly take a turn for the worse when Frank finds himself on a hit list and he has to take things into his own hands and quell the threat on his life.

I thought "Red" took a little while to get going in the beginning, as it seemed to try to find a workable tone given its source material from a 3-issue comic series from 2003 (which has similar beginings, but the film diverges from the source material rather quickly), but as more and more supporting players join the ensemble cast in the film through its plotline, it does gain a foothold and builds up plenty of momentum going into the last act, though it's a bit on the predictable side, the cast has a lot of fun with the material and it shows on the screen.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,396 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted October 15 2010 - 04:58 PM

I loved it, mainly for the dialog and the way it arranges the set pieces. Sure it doesn't reinvent the wheel, and the action isn't groundbreaking. But the balance between the low-key, understated one-liners and the over-the-top action was targeted squarely at my funny bone. The opening scene, with Frank's home getting invaded, is a masterpiece of editing and pacing. Every beat hits exactly right. So, no, it's not going to win any Oscars. All of these great actors could do these roles in their sleep. But all of that talent isn't wasted, and the result is a lightweight piece of entertainment that delighted me at just about every turn.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,077 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 16 2010 - 02:23 AM

This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Red". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an
Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,077 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 16 2010 - 02:31 AM

I liked this action spoof film.  Sure, the screenplay could have been better, but the one liners in the script were pretty funny and it seem this excellent cast of actors were having a good time making this film.  My film audience appeared to love it and were very entertained by it.  I'll give a film grade of a solid "B".

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,335 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted October 16 2010 - 05:50 AM

I saw Red this morning and I really enjoyed it. I'm not even that big of a fan of any of the cast but you can tell they're having lots of fun and it spreads to the audience. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any 'big summer action movie' from this year that I enjoyed as much as this movie.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,606 posts

Posted October 17 2010 - 11:16 AM

The fact that every studio passed up on this film and

it landed in the hands of Summit Entertainment had me

concerned from the start.

There were times that I thought the film was very clever

and quite funny.  However, when things got good it sort

of suddenly spiraled down into scenes that loused up

the pacing of the film.

Two great cameos here.

In all, it was a good movie.  Very uneven at times,

but you can tell the cast was having a lot of fun with it.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   neli

neli

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted November 03 2010 - 06:57 PM

I have watched red movie and it is too wonderful.This movie is thriller based and i like to watch this category of movie a lot.