The blu-ray is too dark.

And some of us disagree with you. Vincent

#42 of 48 RobHam

RobHam

Stunt Coordinator

• 126 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted December 01 2012 - 09:41 AM

I'm kinda surprised to see the return of the 'it's too dark/no it's not' controversy re LOTM. I thought it too dark as well, and it is the only title that causes me to change an adjustment on my TV. I don't remember if the Blu-ray looks the way the film looked when I saw it in the theater; but I doubt there would have been a controversy if Mann were not such an inveterate post-release tweaker.

David - the reason from my perspective for this coming back up is that the same transfer was finally released in the UK on 26th Nov, and I only got to watch it for the first time on Friday night. In the end, the only way I was able to watch it at calibration settings was with the Dynamic Contrast activated. There are many low/natural light BD's out there (Outland, Interview with the Vampire etc), and I've found the best way to view these is via a darkened room - this was the first time I've had to use "gizmos" on the TV to compensate. Interestingly RAH in his original post refers to "well tuned systems" - I'm left wondering if a new ISF-calibrated mid-range TV just 'aint cutting it when it comes to presenting this level of low-light information.

#43 of 48 Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen

Second Unit

• 472 posts

Posted December 01 2012 - 11:03 AM

And some of us disagree with you. Vincent

And some will disagree with you. The disc is way too dark on my calibrated Kuro 60 inch monitor. To each their own.

#44 of 48 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,513 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 01 2012 - 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Rossen 

And some will disagree with you. The disc is way too dark on my calibrated Kuro 60 inch monitor. To each their own.

I hope so as this back and forth is not getting us anywhere.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#45 of 48 Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted December 01 2012 - 11:18 AM

I would like to swap blu-rays with Vincent P and back again just to make sure they all look alike.

#46 of 48 Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,722 posts

Posted December 01 2012 - 01:09 PM

Exactly, to each their own. I think it's a gorgeous Blu-ray, and so does Robert Harris and Robert Crawford and others in this thread, while others disagree and think it's too dark. Vincent

#47 of 48 Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,722 posts

Posted December 01 2012 - 01:10 PM

To Richard--W: Why single me out? Why not ask to trade discs with others in this thread who think it looks great? Vincent

#48 of 48 Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted December 01 2012 - 01:17 PM

Maybe some of these discs went out defective.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users