What's new

Def Tech or SVS (1 Viewer)

rooster

Auditioning
Real Name
Johan Kanfield
Hi All -- Turning to the community for help. I'm trying to decide between the Def Tech Procinema 1000 system or the SVS SBS 5.0 System. I mainly use it for movies and video games.

My brother gave me his old HSU STF-2, so that'll be the subwoofer.

So just comparing the 5.0 system's, anyone have an opinion? I'm thinking of auditioning the SVS's, but reallllly don't want to pay an arm and a leg to ship them back (ie if my budget for the speakers is $1000 max, don't want to use 10-15 percent on return shipping).

Any thoughts appreciated.

thanks all.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I have two responses for you: on the one hand, once you're comparing quality speakers, no one can really answer this question for you. Sound is subjective and only you can decide which one is better. I'd say it *is* worth it to spend $100 (~10%) of your budget to demo them side-by-side and pick the one that sounds best, given that you're going to be listening to them for the next 10+ years.

On the other hand, if you're primarily using it for movies and games (i.e., not music) then the audio won't be as important - so just chose on cost and/or looks.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
I ditto what Al says the choice and risk are yours. No one can tell you which one of these quality speakers will sound best to you when installed in your home. Both have excellent reviews and are highly regarded in their price range.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
They are both high quality speakers and I love the sound from both. I have owned a Def Tech 5.1 system for about 18 years now and it is still going strong. I know the guys at SV Sound and they build quality products.

The bottom line is that you can't go wrong with either one as far as sound quality goes and your choice is going to have to be made on what sounds the best for YOU and nobody else.

If shipping and handling are a problem regarding the expense I would give SV Sound a call and ask them if you can return them at no cost if you choose to not keep them. They have a very liberal return policy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks