-

Photo
- - - - -

Projector or Panel?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Fosterchild

Fosterchild

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted October 11 2010 - 03:02 AM

Finally getting ready to build a home theater in my basement. I'm not going with a dedicated theater type room but more of a living room - home theater room.

First question is Panel TV or Projector?

I'll be watching HD TV, playing video games and watching Blur-Rays and regular DVD's. Viewing angle needs to be fairly wide, no windows in the room so lighting is not a problem.

Thanks in advance.

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   CB750

CB750

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted October 11 2010 - 04:48 AM

Looks like either one will work for you

A friend of mine has both.  A projector and screen in his basement works well as a dedicated theater room with seating for watching movies  and sporting events.   A 52" LCD in his family room for casual viewing of cable programs is better for multi purpose family uses.   

The answer my lie in these questions.

[*] How large of a screen do you want? [*] Do you want your lights turned down when the TV is on.  [*] Budget. [*] What media will you watch most

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Fosterchild

Fosterchild

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted October 11 2010 - 05:50 AM

Thanks for the reply Bill.

Will be mostly HD TV or HD movies. I only play a couple video games but want those to look really good too.

I think 55"- 60" should be plenty big for the room size. I have a pretty good JVC receiver and (I think) Boston Acoustic speakers (6 piece set).

Because of a small budget I'm leaning towards a 55" Vizio from Sam's.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   ProjectorPPL1

ProjectorPPL1

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted October 20 2010 - 01:48 AM

Hi Fosterchild.

We wrote a guide comparing plasmas, LCD TVs and projectors a few years ago. There are definitely advantages to all display technologies.

That Vizio is a snazzy TV for sure. If you do want to check out projectors, I would recommend the Epson HC 8350, which is one of our newest projectors. It's HD 1080p, capable of projecting up to a 120" image and it's about $50 cheaper than the Vizio. Just some food for thought.

Drop me a line if you have any questions about TVs vs projectors. And no matter what you get, enjoy!